Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2018 5:39:17 PM EDT
I posted in a different thread about a friend that is going elk and mule deer hunting.  I had asked about caliber and received a lot of helpful suggestions.  My friend is now looking for glass to take with him.  All of his scopes are fairly basic, hunting in upstate NY it isn't uncommon to see basic simmons and nikon scopes on guns because most shots are fairly short.  Hunting out west he wants to get quality glass, something that maxes out somewhere between 12-15 magnification.  He went to a local gun store and looked through a Zeiss, a vortex, and a leupold. He didn't know any model numbers but said the leupold and zeiss were approx $1100 and the vortex was about 650.  He said the zeiss had the best glass but he said the vortex was a close second. For anyone with a vortex or has experience with them what model should he be looking at in the sub 1K range?  Illuminated reticle would be handy but isn't a must.  He will be hiking for almost 2 weeks so the scope needs to be durable and obviously weight matters....... I get these aren't necessarily things that come with a sub 1K scope but I'm putting it out there.  I know a lot of people like Vortex optics, besides the warranty is the quality what they claim, is the glass as good as the competition, is he getting quality at that price point?

Thanks,

Woody
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex offers scopes from $250 to $2500, so you'll be able to get a full range of options from them. For a dedicated lightweight hunting optic, the Razor HD LH is the best choice. I have owned or handled optics in most of their lines and the Razor HD LH is a fantastic scope. Very light, very good glass, and dead simple.

Vortex is by far my favorite optic company, they make great stuff that I trust and enjoy using.

Here's my HD LH on bottom and my HD AMG on top. Both sitting on Creedmoor rifles.
Attachment Attached File

If he wants more features like an exposed turret, and illumination, then the PST gen2 3-15x would be the way to go, but it'll be heavier than the HD LH.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
For the price, I think it would be very hard to go wrong with a Vortex Razor LH in 3-15, for the stated purpose and price range.

I have the 1.5-8 and it's gtg.

Like the BoxofRox stated, a dead simple hunting scope.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Aside from the 1-4x24 and 1-6x24 variable power scopes in the Razor line, the majority are going to be a higher magnification range than what you specified your friend is looking for. They do have a 3-15x42 in the Razor HD LH series that is sub $1k. Other than that, the rest of the Razor line is either going to be over or under your specified magnification range.

As mentioned, if you're looking for something with an illuminated reticle, the PST series in the Viper line would be the way to go. They offer a 3-15x44 (in 2nd and 1st focal plain). I actually have one of these on a hunting AR (chambered in 6.8 Rem SPC) I built and I've been very pleased with it.

The Viper line of scope from Vortex have several models that fit your specified magnification range AND they are very reasonably priced. I have a Viper HS 2.5x10x44 on a 7mm-08 Tikka I have and it is a great scope. Yes, the Razor line has the best glass Vortex offers but the Viper series has great glass as well. It is comparable to the glass in a Leupold VX-3i. It also boasts the same warranty as the high end Vortex optics. In my opinion, Vortex has the best warranty in the market and I say that being a Leupold guy. Granted, Vortex is beginning to make a bigger presence in my gun safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
What makes you think Vortex has a better warranty than Leupold, archer?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I do have the Vortest on one of my precision rifles. It is great glass. Leupold is great glass as well. On an elk hunt your priority in glass is slightly different than a range gun. Personally, I don't want an AO scope, quite simply a lot of shots happen too fast to take the time to focus. I like 2-9 - 3-12 scopes for hunting. I keep my scope on low power for fast shots and crank it up on longer shots. Priority #1 for me is twilight brightness. A lot of shots are taken early and late so brightness is very important. Weight is also important to me. I own a lot of different scopes and in 40+years of optics use I have learned that Zeiss is a no brainer when it comes to brightness. Leupold is excellent and is a great balance of all the features I like. Vortex is great glass but I have the least experience with them.

Figure out what his priorities are and compare features. You are likely to be very happy with any of the 3 listed above.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What makes you think Vortex has a better warranty than Leupold, archer?
View Quote
First, I want to be clear. I'm not saying Leupold's warranty isn't good because it is but few scope/optics companies in the market will argue that Vortex's warranty is ridiculous in a good way. Some would argue it's too lenient. Their "VIP" warranty is the same no matter which Vortex product you have. Regardless if you have a riflescope, prism scope, red dot, rangefinder, binoculars, spotting scope, tripods, and monocular they all are covered by the same UNLIMITED VIP warranty. Leupold only offers a two (2) year "limited" warranty, with proof of purchase, on it's rangefinders (all of the "electronic" devices). I know a few industry guys/reps and they always talk about Vortex's warranty and wonder how Vortex can offer such a warranty.

Again, this isn't a matter of hating on Leupold. I own several and have never been anything but pleased with them. In this case, it's simply a matter of stating the facts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I see, archer. Can't argue with that. I wonder how they do it as well in regards to rangefinders. Leupold gave me 50% off a new one that was out of warranty and never made me prove I was the original purchaser, but Vortex is free/new no matter what.

In regard to optics though, Leupold is second to none in the gold ring and above lines. They really did me well when I dealt with them on issues that had nothing to do with them or their product not being made correctly.

Vortex for sure is on another level. I think that drives a lot of their purchases as people know that is a strong selling point on the used market, and for good reason. My only Vortex product is a rangefinder. Works fine. When it doesn't I'll get a new one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I looked at the Vortex HD LH pretty hard for my 280AI, but ended up going with a Leupold VX5 3-15.

Not saying this is your friend, but here is one of the biggest mistakes I've seen: People buy an awesome scope for their rifle, but cheap out on binos and spotting scopes.

You'll spend maybe 10 seconds behind a rifle, and 500 times that behind binos and your SS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the price, I think it would be very hard to go wrong with a Vortex Razor LH in 3-15, for the stated purpose and price range.

I have the 1.5-8 and it's gtg.

Like the BoxofRox stated, a dead simple hunting scope.
View Quote
Yes, LH = Light Hunting, I got a 3-10, nice
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I looked at the Vortex HD LH pretty hard for my 280AI, but ended up going with a Leupold VX5 3-15.

Not saying this is your friend, but here is one of the biggest mistakes I've seen: People buy an awesome scope for their rifle, but cheap out on binos and spotting scopes.

You'll spend maybe 10 seconds behind a rifle, and 500 times that behind binos and your SS.
View Quote
This is very true and I'm guilty of this, but I'm working on fixing it. I have a handful of what I would call premium scopes, but I have cheap binos and a cheap spotting scope.

A set of Razor binos are on my list and some kind of Vortex spotter will be after that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
AMEN!!! Couldn't agree more! I have mostly Leupold and Vortex scopes but I have a pair of Vortex Razor HD 10x42 binos. Don't really need a spotting scope here in SC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
amg on my nosler 28. i have a few razors and love them as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I see, archer. Can't argue with that. I wonder how they do it as well in regards to rangefinders. Leupold gave me 50% off a new one that was out of warranty and never made me prove I was the original purchaser, but Vortex is free/new no matter what.

In regard to optics though, Leupold is second to none in the gold ring and above lines. They really did me well when I dealt with them on issues that had nothing to do with them or their product not being made correctly.

Vortex for sure is on another level. I think that drives a lot of their purchases as people know that is a strong selling point on the used market, and for good reason. My only Vortex product is a rangefinder. Works fine. When it doesn't I'll get a new one.
View Quote
the large selling point for many on vortex over leupy is value. what you pay vs what you get. leupold only recently got on this train while vortex has been making affordable high end optics for years. leupold has always been more expensive on just about every level when you side by side compare products
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347895/IMG_5221-664166.JPG
View Quote
I just pre'd a little.

That's a sexy rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just pre'd a little.

That's a sexy rifle.
View Quote
thank you. i forgot weight but its right around 9.5-10 if i remember for entire package
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sexy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#17]
You can check out the Swaro Z3 as well .
The 3-10 x 42 has been rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a razor on one of my 50 bmg's.

Several hundred rounds and not a single issue with the scope.

I talked to the Vortex rep before I bought it and asked if it would take the pounding of the bmg.  He said absolutely and in case it doesn't send it back and we will send you a new one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very nice piece you have there...

OP, Hunting out west I would want target turrets, and I would be wanting good glass with good tracking on the knobs..I would want the gen2 vortex PST 3-18 myself.....

I end up hunting in an area with lots of long shots.so I went with the razor gen2 4.5-27-56...I shot my moose this year at 720 yards..had I not, our group would have gone without meat this year..the bulls were extremely flighty due to the bugs being bad making for them running as soon as you popped over the ridge...Mines a heavy bastard but it rides around in a buggy so not a big deal...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very nice piece you have there...

OP, Hunting out west I would want target turrets, and I would be wanting good glass with good tracking on the knobs..I would want the gen2 vortex PST 3-18 myself.....

I end up hunting in an area with lots of long shots.so I went with the razor gen2 4.5-27-56...I shot my moose this year at 720 yards..had I not, our group would have gone without meat this year..the bulls were extremely flighty due to the bugs being bad making for them running as soon as you popped over the ridge...Mines a heavy bastard but it rides around in a buggy so not a big deal...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/fullsizeoutput_538-699023.JPG
View Quote
long range moose hunting... that gave me a chubby.

thank you and sweet rifle as well

this was CO last year . shot to 600 at a range and 1400 private land

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have any of their big scopes, but my "walking" gun for deer is a 6.8 SBR with a 1-4 Vortex Crossfire 2. It's been great for what I use it for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a Viper HS 4-16x44 on my .270 for MN whitetails and just recently got back from my first ever elk hunt (New Mexico).

Worked for me!

A lesser scope than many are recommending, but good luck on your choice and hunt!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347895/IMG_6214-700383.JPG
View Quote
Well, I am cheating , it shoots a 230 Berger hybrid target @3220fps chambered in 300rum...Have shot it out to 2000 yards so far..need to go further,  next summer...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#24]
300 rum is an old friend of mine. one of my first magnums. mine is loaded for 200 gr barnes which are accurate in this rifle but have a horrible bc . i need to pull bullets and start over one day

gen 2 razor on a 338lM . haven't hunted with it ever but wouldn't hesitate

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, I am cheating , it shoots a 230 Berger hybrid target @3220fps chambered in 300rum...Have shot it out to 2000 yards so far..need to go further,  next summer...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1967_JPG-720907.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347895/IMG_6214-700383.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1967_JPG-720907.JPG
Damn.  I thought the 215 Hybrid at 2900 out of a light .300 WSM was sporty.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
300 rum is an old friend of mine. one of my first magnums. mine is loaded for 200 gr barnes which are accurate in this rifle but have a horrible bc . i need to pull bullets and start over one day

gen 2 razor on a 338lM . haven't hunted with it ever but wouldn't hesitate

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347895/IMG_1165_JPG-722009.JPG
View Quote
Sweet, the 300 berger? Are you shooting the barnes LRX, if so do you like them? , I have a few boxes setting in the cabinet, was thinking they would be good for bears..I used to load the 200 grain barnes x for bears but the LRX is supposed to be much better accuracy wise...
Quoted:

Damn.  I thought the 215 Hybrid at 2900 out of a light .300 WSM was sporty.
View Quote
It will go hotter, been up to 102 grains of RE-33(99.0 is my hot load), but it is pushing to close to the line...2900 out of a 300wsm sounds pretty sporty to me for a short action......
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It will go hotter, been up to 102 grains of RE-33(99.0 is my hot load), but it is pushing to close to the line...2900 out of a 300wsm sounds pretty sporty to me for a short action......
View Quote
RE-26 is magic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

RE-26 is magic.
View Quote
How far out have you reached with thee wsm and how does it do? would you trust it for long range hunting?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How far out have you reached with thee wsm and how does it do? would you trust it for long range hunting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RE-26 is magic.
I’ve shot it out to 500 and would feel perfectly fine making first round hits on game at 600.  With a heavier rifle and a stable shooting position, I’d feel good stretching it way beyond that.  The reports from guys who have killed far more elk than I have are universally positive on the 215. A .300 WM will get you more velocity than the WSM, but 2900 FPS is moving pretty good.

The .300 WSM is stupidly easy to load for.   Here’s the starting load as an example:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve shot it out to 500 and would feel perfectly fine making first round hits on game at 600.  With a heavier rifle and a stable shooting position, I’d feel good stretching it way beyond that.  The reports from guys who have killed far more elk than I have are universally positive on the 215. A .300 WM will get you more velocity than the WSM, but 2900 FPS is moving pretty good.

The .300 WSM is stupidly easy to load for.   Here’s the starting load as an example:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53154/A1A0DB02-E595-4927-AB52-3A8EDB0AC373_jpeg-722083.JPG
View Quote
Nice, I will have to keep the caliber in mind when someone ask me about a  mid distance round that is big game capable.....Thank you for all the info...
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sweet, the 300 berger? Are you shooting the barnes LRX, if so do you like them? , I have a few boxes setting in the cabinet, was thinking they would be good for bears..I used to load the 200 grain barnes x for bears but the LRX is supposed to be much better accuracy wise...

View Quote
barnes x. ive never tried the long range jobs yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top