Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2023 7:47:43 AM EDT
Anyone got a good way to get rid of them once and for all?  I've tried a variety of the TomCat poisons out there for small rodents and not sure I'm making a dent.   Most of our 2 acre yard is criss-crossed now with runs and is slowly turning an otherwise really nice yard into a mess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Cats
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cats
View Quote

Yeah, plenty of them around already, doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I had voles in my yard. House construction started in the adjacent empty lot, driving them towards my yard. They excavated a trench system under the snow all winter and when it melted, it looked like the Western Front in WWI.

How I got rid of them. Mothballs in the deeper parts to disincentivize them staying underground. Set mouse traps in the runs, 2 at a time, back to back. I had 8-10 traps total IIRC. You're trying to force them over the traps so I widened the trench so the traps would sit flush with the bottom and place a cardboard tent/tunnel over the top so they couldn't go over/around. First night I got 3 or 4, next night got another 2. By the end of the week they were all deaded.

Border Terrier got one as well. Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had voles in my yard. House construction started in the adjacent empty lot, driving them towards my yard. They excavated a trench system under the snow all winter and when it melted, it looked like the Western Front in WWI.

How I got rid of them. Mothballs in the deeper parts to disincentivize them staying underground. Set mouse traps in the runs, 2 at a time, back to back. I had 8-10 traps total IIRC. You're trying to force them over the traps so I widened the trench so the traps would sit flush with the bottom and place a cardboard tent/tunnel over the top so they couldn't go over/around. First night I got 3 or 4, next night got another 2. By the end of the week they were all deaded.

Border Terrier got one as well. Happy hunting.
View Quote

Thanks, may have to give that a try.  The WWI trench is a good analogy for what my yard is starting to look like!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks, may have to give that a try.  The WWI trench is a good analogy for what my yard is starting to look like!
View Quote
I found a pic of the battle lines:

On high alert for vermin

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, what luck?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The Talprid baits work well, but if your trying to control them over more than an acre or so, you'd be better of with some cats.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Making some progress.   Two treatments of some Volex poison down their main holes has seemed to slow things down a bit.  No luck catching any in mousetraps but I'm literally guessing at probably 30-40 holes in my 2 acre yard.   Plenty of farm cats in the neighborhood including quite a few we see each night on our ring cameras, so I think it is just a numbers game right now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dutch Shepherd kills 2-3 a day.  Stares at the ground and then pounces.  Starts digging and then throws one up in the air, lol.  Brings the body to me like a trophy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's really interesting stuff.

And apparently less harmful to the cats, etc who might end up secondary kills with regular poison.

Looks like they have a specific solution for each rodent pest...rats, mice, moles, voles.

And it's not all the same stuff.

@Deere_John_16 did you find this locally? Or did you order it?

And how much have you used (meaning, how much does the package actually cover for you?  They seem fairly small.)

If this is effective, I will definitely try this for my customers.
View Quote

I ordered it from Amazon.  Got 3 pounds and spread it over about an acre total of my 2 acre property.   Poured a couple grains in each hole I would see.

I rarely actually see live voles so basing my results more on seeing fresh runs in my grass.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do Voles actually make runs that you can see? I've only ever found them hiding underneath things, and never seen any kind of trail or anything from them.
View Quote

On a few rare occasions that I've seen them they were using the runs to get to other holes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On a few rare occasions that I've seen them they were using the runs to get to other holes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do Voles actually make runs that you can see? I've only ever found them hiding underneath things, and never seen any kind of trail or anything from them.

See my pic a few posts up. Those trenches where created under snow drifts in my yard. That's what it looked like after the snow melted.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes you can see the runs, they destroyed our pool area grass.   I'd even chase the little bastards with the lawn mower and spray them out the chute if I got one.    We finally found some good mouser cats and they took care of them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Voles or Moles?  They are often lumped together but they aren't interchangeable.

Voles eat plants
Moles eat grubs.  Kill the grubs and they will leave.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Voles are different than moles.  Moles make those mounds in the yard...voles are like miniature mice..Both are vermin.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top