Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2022 8:34:28 AM EDT
I have been working on my sewing skills, and was hoping to make a couple of bucks here and there making camping quilts and other items like folding dog bowls.
I found a fabric I liked, felt soft and was light but durable. It is no longer available because it kills endangered kittens in Nepal. In it's place is shit that feels like cheap ass ripstop from the 70's but it is friendly to mother earth.
The company sends me emails pounding their chest about equality and saving the earth, while they put out crap that is twice as expensive, and loses everything I liked about the old fabric.
I wish they would stfu about all that. If they want to help the environment they would start a campaign to put porta potties about a half mile in from major trailheads to keep all the earth lovers from shitting everywhere and stinking up the woods.
Fucking nylon is made from crude oil. Perhaps they should go to waxed cotton sourced from free range fair trade bees, and cotton from sustainable minority run farms in an eco friendly conflict free region using methods free from hydrocarbons.
Sorry, rant over.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
What company
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ripstop by the roll.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Cuz silence is violence bro.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
OR is gonna dislocate its shoulder if it keeps patting itself on the back for making “plus size” technical clothing. All of them say something along the line of “diversity makes the outdoor experience better.” Funny, I can’t recall ever thinking that hiking & camping would be better if I knew which of the people on the trail with me thought their chromosomes were lying.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Queue the companies making all their shit out of nylon shitting on the petroleum industy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
Queue the companies making all their shit out of nylon shitting on the petroleum industy.
View Quote

That is the irony of it all. They wouldn't have any of those materials without petroleum.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Half of them are zealots and entirely devoted, so the science and reality don't matter to them.  They are ruled by emotions like children.

The rest don't give two shits about the environment, and know very well that their profits come from the oil in the ground being processed into all the various nylons.  But they know virtue signaling works to lure the woke and make them rich.  It's just business to this type.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#8]
I love defeet socks.
I stopped buying them after their site was so woke I about barfed.

Here's their equality page..
They support BLM.

https://defeet.com/pages/racial-equality
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
OR is gonna dislocate its shoulder if it keeps patting itself on the back for making “plus size” technical clothing. All of them say something along the line of “diversity makes the outdoor experience better.” Funny, I can’t recall ever thinking that hiking & camping would be better if I knew which of the people on the trail with me thought their chromosomes were lying.
View Quote

Yeah, I got rather pissed with Gregory when I saw them pat their backs for extending their product sizes ... on the fat size.  Meanwhile, I'm hacking away at my Baltoro 95, trying to make the small suspension smaller.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
View Quote

Pretty sure it was OR's site I was looking at the other day and they had a fat chick handling climbing equipment.  Yeah, she was big enough she could belay me, but that belly wasn't going up the rocks.  They have a "Plus and extended sizes" section with stretch marked bellies proudly hanging out.    I like their gear and I fully support people getting out and getting shape, but nobody wants to see that (no normal people anyways, midcap can have all of them).
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By viralinsurgency:
Half of them are zealots and entirely devoted, so the science and reality don't matter to them.  They are ruled by emotions like children.

The rest don't give two shits about the environment, and know very well that their profits come from the oil in the ground being processed into all the various nylons.  But they know virtue signaling works to lure the woke and make them rich.  It's just business to this type.

View Quote

They will proudly sell you 100% recycled nylon that is inferior to virgin nylon for an increased price, including the new eco friendly dwr coating that is more expensive, but inferior, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#12]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They will proudly sell you 100% recycled nylon that is inferior to virgin nylon for an increased price, including the new eco friendly dwr coating that is more expensive, but inferior, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That and the newer glue they use for the soles absolutely sucks.  As much as I hate to admit it, I really don't care if China's rivers get more polluted if it means my soles won't start peeling off while I'm on the trail.  And I say that as someone who has spent time in China and had to drive almost an hour and a half down China's coast to get to an area with decent waves and water that wouldn't give you a rash from being in it (to surf)- it's amazing how polluted their waterways and coast are.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

That and the newer glue they use for the soles absolutely sucks.  As much as I hate to admit it, I really don't care if China's rivers get more polluted if it means my soles won't start peeling off while I'm on the trail.  And I say that as someone who has spent time in China and had to drive almost an hour and a half down China's coast to get to an area with decent waves and water that wouldn't give you a rash from being in it (to surf)- it's amazing how polluted their waterways and coast are.  
View Quote

I have been there multiple times. The air is filthy, the water is filthy. Try Dalian for surf. It had the cleanest beaches I saw there. Might be cold water, though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]

I have been there multiple times. The air is filthy, the water is filthy. Try Dalian for surf. It had the cleanest beaches I saw there. Might be cold water, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Been there twice for a month each time when one of my cousins was living there.  Had a lot of fun and it's a fascinating place that I really wish I'd gotten to see more of, but I won't be going back with the way it's changed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
I love defeet socks.
I stopped buying them after their site was so woke I about barfed.

Here's their equality page..
They support BLM.

https://defeet.com/pages/racial-equality
View Quote
Same scenario for me, but with Darn Tough socks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By L_JE:

Yeah, I got rather pissed with Gregory when I saw them pat their backs for extending their product sizes ... on the fat size.  Meanwhile, I'm hacking away at my Baltoro 95, trying to make the small suspension smaller.
View Quote

Catering to obese is encouraging obesity.  They should instead cater to healthy bodies.  A 400 lb landwhale isn't gonna go hiking and backpacking, rock climbing or do anything that doesn't involve sitting on their couch and stuffing their face, unless they are motivated to save their lives.

All the once solid outdoor companies that specialized in research and expeditions and extreme sports are now doing the detestable woke shit as well.  It wasn't enough they got brand name recognition and got rich having their products sewn in Thailand and Vietnam by children and adults for pennies...
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Catering to obese is encouraging obesity.  They should instead cater to healthy bodies.  A 400 lb landwhale isn't gonna go hiking and backpacking, rock climbing or do anything that doesn't involve sitting on their couch and stuffing their face, unless they are motivated to save their lives.

All the once solid outdoor companies that specialized in research and expeditions and extreme sports are now doing the detestable woke shit as well.  It wasn't enough they got brand name recognition and got rich having their products sewn in Thailand and Vietnam by children and adults for pennies...
View Quote

It’s not the 400lb landwhales, though since the whole pandemic thing started a LOT more people of all sizes have been getting outside. But try finding a jacket bigger than a 46-49” chest that’s roomy enough to layer from the big brands. If they do make them, it’s not in all models or colors. You end up having to mix & match among different brands, and because an inch apparently isn’t the SAME inch everywhere they don’t always fit the same. A 2XL Patagonia FitzRoy hooded down parka fits snugly over a midweight baselayer, but a 2XL Marmot Greenland hooded down parka has plenty of room for a couple baselayers and a midlayer so you can throw it on when you stop for a break or to make camp.

Buy an Osprey pack with Stow-On-The-Go trekking pole storage and see if it’s usable if your waist is bigger than 34” or so. The pack itself fits fine, plenty of shoulder & waist strap length, but the bungee for the pole tips will be halfway across your ass cheek. How did 20” become “regular” width for sleeping pads? Only the skinniest guys I know would fit on a 20” wide pad. It’s nice to be able to lie on my back with my arms at my sides and have them on my 25” wide mattress.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
To be fair it is marketed as a men's jacket, but the guy looks like a mix of 1992 Nicole Kidman and Gallagher...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WHGNCC7?tag=arfcom00-20]Amazon link
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
To be fair it is marketed as a men's jacket, but the guy looks like a mix of 1992 Nicole Kidman and Gallagher...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WHGNCC7?tag=arfcom00-20]Amazon link
View Quote

And the cool Richard Simmons shorts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top