Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2019 2:29:17 PM EDT
All of my fishing has been on a pond close to me.
So I keep my stuff in a small tackle box in the golf cart.
Now I want to try other places where I will have to walk.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the vest.  More room for stuff. Like a beer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Chest packs ride higher so get dunked less often than packs. Chest packs are handy when you are changing flies often. Backpacks require more effort to get at what you need.  Backpacks carry more so if you need a raincoat, lunch, gps etc. it is the best choice.

I have both and I choose pockets for an hour or two, chest pack when exploring new territory and need selection and a pack for 1/2 day plus. I normally use a camelbak pack. You can inflate the bladder for floatation in case things go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Chest packs, sling packs, Fanny packs, vests are all pretty much personal preference. In the “old” days, vests were about the only way to go as there weren’t any other options. Now with all the choices, you really just have to try what you think you might like and go from there. Don’t be surprised if you end up changing your mind after a few trips or months, it happens.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a Simms guide vest.  It's fully customizable and I run different boxes inside for fly fishing versus spin fishing.   The pouches are all modular and can be set up quickly.

The mesh keeps you cool in the summer,  and the storage is unreal if you want to pack in somewhere and need to bring extra gear.

I have a chest rig but rarely use it as I'll just build my vest out the day before for where I'm going.  I run a big guide net for night fishing too and having the net high up on my back ready to go versus dragging off my waist makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I go as light as possible with a fishpond chest pack and a fly box or two in my pockets. Where I fish the most that’s all I need.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
my summer fishing is out of a small row boat in a river so I don't use anything.
The gear lays in the boat.

But for my fall/spring fishing I use a Jacket/Coat.
Water proof is essential to me as I'll fish no matter the weather, fact I think bad weather is best fishing.
I want the warmth and it has lots of pockets for gear.

Something like this

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/mens-womens-jackets/g3-guide-jacket-1
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a simms vest and a chest pack or 2.  If I'm wading I like my vest.   If I'm in the raft, particularly if I'm rowing, I don't care for the vest.  Difficult to row with it on, difficult to find someplace tp put it where it doesnt get trampled on the floor of the raft, or in the way.  So I've set up a chest pack to take when we are floating.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I always ran a fanny pack..or pack.
Repurposed this 5112 banger sling pack.
Its small maybe 8x8 by 2 thick.
Plenty big, with room for extras.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a vest in freshwater and a pack in salt. The pack is more water (and salt) resistant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top