Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2023 11:12:36 PM EDT
Has anyone tried putting on the protective window film themselves?  I'm thinking about adding some to my camper shell windows, maybe 4mil.  They're flat and don't roll up although the sides do have sliders (I have slider locks on them).  I'd like to do the cab windows as well but I'm thinking I need someone with some experience to do those properly.  Just a thought that kinda fits in this section.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If your goal is to mitigate risk of injury from shattered glass, have at it.

4mil security film will accomplish absolutely nothing else.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I'm mostly looking to contain broken glass, not go zombie survival.  I camp out of the truck a fair bit and really don't want tempered glass pieces everywhere if a window does get smashed either by a thug or while off-roading.  I've got experience with up-armored and wheeled armored vehicles and don't see any need for that (at least outside of California and NY) but in some places overseas we just had security film on some of our vehicles to mitigate against thrown objects, mostly rocks or things like frozen water bottles.  

The next step up would be window screens and then armor but I'm not that paranoid, don't want the look, and can't afford it monetarily or weight-wise.  I was just curious if it was fairly easy to do the flat windows on the shell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Would it be possible to replace the glass windows with (thicker) plexiglass or lexan?

I have heard of security film for house windows, and it seems that when properly installed such film withstands a considerable degree of impact.

It seems that most perps use an automatic center punch to "quietly" and unobtrusively shatter side car windows and thus gain entry.  Plexiglass windows on your camper might prevent that particular method, and the perp will go elsewhere.  

I have applied window tint to some car windows, with a fair degree of success.  As long as one has reasonable access to the whole of the window, it's not hard to do.  There is certainly a "technique" to applying the film, and some inexpensive tools are required.  Watch some Youtube vids to see how it's done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm almost positive a window punch was used when my truck was broken into about two years ago (sitting in the driveway ).  The window film held most of the glass together but the (person I hope dies a most horribly, painful slow death) pulled the window out and let it slide down the side of the door, scratching the paint.  I'm OK with me putting off-road pinstripes on my truck but yeah, I was mad.  He didn't even steal anything but the group hit five trucks in the neighborhood in about fifteen minutes (caught on several neighbor's cameras); the deputy had an idea who there were and that they were gang members hitting trucks looking for guns.  No, no guns in my truck and the only stickers are kayaking stickers, a Clemson grad decal and a GD SYF .

Anyways, I thought about switching to Lexan but it's a PITA to deal with (and expensive and subject to UV) and I'm sure anyone breaking in would just grab and destroy the rear window if the glass didn't break.  The windows have the factory tint and it kinda looks like a homeless person lives back there (camping gear) but I was wanting a little extra protection.  I'm going to have the front windows redone with a heavier film (since I still haven't gotten the passenger window that was replaced tinted) but I was hoping to do the ARE shell windows myself to save some money since they're flat glass and I'm not worried about them looking as good as the cab.  I just didn't know if anyone had tried doing it themselves.  

The fact it make help as things get sportier is secondary, but not unrecognized.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm almost positive a window punch was used when my truck was broken into about two years ago (sitting in the driveway ).  The window film held most of the glass together but the (person I hope dies a most horribly, painful slow death) pulled the window out and let it slide down the side of the door, scratching the paint.  I'm OK with me putting off-road pinstripes on my truck but yeah, I was mad.  He didn't even steal anything but the group hit five trucks in the neighborhood in about fifteen minutes (caught on several neighbor's cameras); the deputy had an idea who there were and that they were gang members hitting trucks looking for guns.  No, no guns in my truck and the only stickers are kayaking stickers, a Clemson grad decal and a GD SYF .

Anyways, I thought about switching to Lexan but it's a PITA to deal with (and expensive and subject to UV) and I'm sure anyone breaking in would just grab and destroy the rear window if the glass didn't break.  The windows have the factory tint and it kinda looks like a homeless person lives back there (camping gear) but I was wanting a little extra protection.  I'm going to have the front windows redone with a heavier film (since I still haven't gotten the passenger window that was replaced tinted) but I was hoping to do the ARE shell windows myself to save some money since they're flat glass and I'm not worried about them looking as good as the cab.  I just didn't know if anyone had tried doing it themselves.  

The fact it make help as things get sportier is secondary, but not unrecognized.
View Quote
OK.  Is it possible to install some metal bars that are visible outside the vehicle and which would preclude a Perp entry? Such bars could be secured by wing nuts (invisible outside the vehicle) and might be deterrents.  No Expert, but most Perps will be deterred by unexpected barriers to entry and might go elsewhere.

No Expert, but such perps are likely to be skinny kids, so the bars need to arranged to be a suitable deterrent.

FWIW, a friend of mine (Billy Meteraud, R.I.P.) tried out an automatic center punch on a junk car side window.  It shattered the window instantly and completely, but Billy, not wearing gloves, got his hand seriously sliced.  As with all things, there is a certain technique required.

All best wishes!
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've honestly thought about it- it would also give me extra overlanding instagram credit since I could hang more useless stuff on the outside of the vehicle.  It would also be an easy way to add screens for the riots and zombie hordes brush for even more points.  Out of the box, dual use thinking here.  

In all seriousness though, I was looking at adding it to the windows on the front of the house and started thinking it might also work to contain the glass on the ARE shell if it gets shattered* since safety glass fragments so badly and my sleeping bag and blankets are back there and the platform has that gray ribbed style indoor/outdoor carpet that can be a pain to thoroughly vacuum despite their claims to the contrary.  I think I'm going to order some off ebay and give it a shot, worse case I peel it off and I'm out some money.

*Bad guy or off-roading- which I know you do as well.  We have some tight trails here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've honestly thought about it- it would also give me extra overlanding instagram credit since I could hang more useless stuff on the outside of the vehicle.  It would also be an easy way to add screens for the riots and zombie hordes brush for even more points.  Out of the box, dual use thinking here.  

In all seriousness though, I was looking at adding it to the windows on the front of the house and started thinking it might also work to contain the glass on the ARE shell if it gets shattered* since safety glass fragments so badly and my sleeping bag and blankets are back there and the platform has that gray ribbed style indoor/outdoor carpet that can be a pain to thoroughly vacuum despite their claims to the contrary.  I think I'm going to order some off ebay and give it a shot, worse case I peel it off and I'm out some money.

*Bad guy or off-roading- which I know you do as well.  We have some tight trails here.
View Quote
All best wishes, my friend!
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're getting window security film, I'd recommend at least 8 mil. 12 mil is also available.

4 mil might reduce glass fragments, but is easily breached. With double pane windows, you can apply it to both inside and outside. It can potentially save you replacing/reglazing the window from mishaps (i.e. if you only apply it to the inside of a double pane window, a small pebble kicked up by the mower, or an errant ball toss, can still break the outer pane. Applying to both sides increases the impact force they can withstand, even with single pane windows).

Specifically for applying to house windows, don't forget to apply a bead of clear silicone all around the edge, after applying the security film (you can give it a couple days, for the water from the application process to completely evaporate). You want to bond the film to the window frame. If you don't, the entire pane is much more easily popped out of the frame.

For the RV, I like the window bars idea better. If someone tries to breach a window with a punch, or rock and it doesn't break the first time, they'll try harder (if they aren't concerned about the noise drawing attention). If the bars make it appear that it would be too difficult to gain entry, they're more likely to just look for easier targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top