Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2022 11:48:04 AM EDT
Finally had a day off work and ripped out all the stuff that lives in my SUV. It’s been piecemeal between tools I need regularly, stuff I would need in an emergency or to get home, spare ammo, truck gun, and first aid.

It’s been too long. Half the first aid stuff is expired by a lot. The emergency food I had was way past it’s prime. The water bottles have lived in the car for a year in southern heat. My “get home bag” was a shoulder satchel with almost nothing useful actually in it.

Time to start fresh. I edc a gun/knife/flashlight/phone/cash.

So besides those things what would you keep in your vehicle and how would you set it up?

I have a drawer system in the back that locks. Long enough for full sized AR and maybe 9” deep. I live in the suburbs of a decent city. I can also stash a 10/22 in a back compartment.

@rock06 paging your help. I’m carrying the non-kinetic emergency bag y’all helped me build all the damn time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely to be used item in a vehicle are jumper cables.
Doesn't hurt to have a can of fix a flat. Road flares. A blanket, and some basic hand tools, duct tape.

I know we plan for "worst case scenario" here, and I do to, and typically have ammo, etc on hand.

But the reality is your much more likely to need jumper cables.

When my wife got a new car, I put together a little bag for the trunk. Cables, hand tools, gloves, blanket and such.
She knows Im "crazy", but one of her coworkers came into the office the other day and had a dead battery. No one had cables, but she did.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a jump box and a set of cables. A small nato can of gas fits I the rear, too. Along with basic fluids and a small tool set.

Also going to have an E tool and small hawk. Those have both been useful in the past for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
-Lithium jump starter pack (with cables as backup)
-Air compressor (and can of fix-a-flat as backup)
-Jug of water (to drink or fill radiator in a pinch)
-Quart of oil
-Basic cheap toolset (I like a battery impact gun for quick change of tires)

Then just a bag with a change of clothes, comfy shoes, first aid kit, and maybe some snacks.

I assume anything I leave in my truck will probably get stolen at some point so I go minimalist.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
A little cash ~$20 in small bills and change. You might have access to a vending machine, or buy something on the walk home or whatever.

Get one of those "life straw" or similar water filters to help mitigate needing to carry bottles of water that might get wrecked in the heat.

A couple Bic lighters and a metal container to boil water or hold water. (A dog bowl makes a good cheap pot/water carrier.)

You probably don't need much in the way of food, but some sort of electrolyte replacement powder or just salt tablets might make the difference between "stuck a few days, NBD" and "rescued recovering in hospital". I use the "LiquidIV" stuff and it works wonders.

Whatever tools you know how to use for tire patch, spare replacement, jumping, refilling fluids, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried to read though everything

Didn’t see the following, I would add

Car fuses for your car (need to check too many “new” sizes).
Water bottle single wall aluminum and 20 oz soda bottle.
Sillcock water hydrant  key
Sawyer mini water filter

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep more things in my vehicle than most and a lot of it has been really handy.  

The most used items:
    12 volt air compressor
    Tire plug kit.   Yes, I have plugged tires on the side of the road and aired the tire up with the compressor.
     Jumper cables
     Automotive fuses
     Adjustable trailer hitch with three different size balls
     4 pin/7 pin adapter
     Short piece of chain
     two ratchet straps

Mosquito repellant
     Sun block

First aid kit:
           Bandaids
           Tweezers
           Ibuprofen
           Gauze
           Tape
           Neosporin
           Burn cream
           Compression bandages
           Tourniquet
           Smelling salts

Parachute cord
      Bank Line
      Sun glasses that can change lenses with safety glasses
      Wet wipes
      Gorilla Tape
      Zip ties

Eneloop AA/AAA batteries in a cooler
       AA/AAA Battery charger (powered by 12 volt and/or 120 volts)
       Streamlight Siege AA lantern
       Streamlight Sidewinder Flashlight
       Head Light
       Multimeter
       GPS/Compass/Map

Tow Strap/shackels
       Folding shovel
       Camping chair
       small blanket that is plastic on one side, flannel on the other

Hand warmers with liquid fuel bottle.
       Work gloves

Micro-USB/Lightning/USB-C Charging cables

Extra Leatherman Surge with full bit set
       Fixed Blade knife
       Sharpener
       Sharpie Marker
       Rite in the Rain pen/paper
       Deck of cards
       50 gallon contractor bags
       1 gallon ziplock freezer bags

Poncho
       Rain jacket
       Fleece Jacket
       Two full changes of clothes
       Shemagh
       Flip Flops

Soap/shampoo/Towel/Hair brush
       Alcohol hand sanitizer
       Small can of Butane Fluid for refillable lighter
       A couple of Bic lighter and Hurricane Matches
       Grayl Water Filter with extra filters

Six handgun magazines/12 rounds for the revolver

In the winter I also carry a folding snow shovel, winter boots, TRAX for the boots.  
       I keep some bottles of water and food in the cooler to keep it from being temperature cycled.  

I keep an empty bag in the vehicle so that if I want to leave the vehicle in questionable weather then I can throw rain gear or whatever in the bag and go.  

The change of clothes can be nice when you get caught in the rain.   I used it once when I assisted the local fire department and their boat broke down in the river across from my folks house.  I made a couple of swims out to it ferrying tools.   I have also used the clothes when I spent an extra couple of shifts at work without warning.  

The water filter has been nice when I have found myself in places where the water tasted like complete crap.   Run it through the Grayl and it tastes a lot better.  

Tow straps and chains I have pulled people out of ditches and the snow.  

I stopped at one accident where the couple took a turn too fast and ended up down in a deep ditch.   I laid the blanket in the mud so that a woman in a dress could crawl out of the car without crawling through the mud.  

Mosquito repellant and sun block have been hugely helpful when the bugs were worse than expected and I ended up outside more than expected.  

It is interesting how often the different items have come in handy.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Some good info already.

I just had my truck serviced with a recall upgrade, so I pulled most of my stuff out before I took it in. While I have the most of the standard stuff for a vehicle (oil, jumper cables, some smaller tools/recovery tools, tow strap, blanket, flares, etc.), my “get home bag” is a three part system and conditional. I am getting a lithium battery jumper and portable compressor added here shortly, but I also have a tool box in the bed to store and secure them.

The first part is simply define your environment, assess the risks, especially the most likely, and then list out your requirements. If I lived in a more populated area, I would be more worried about theft. If I lived in a more rural environment, I may be more focused on self-recovery. If I travel for work, my kit would be a little more robust. If I worked and stayed closer to home, it would be smaller and more minimalist.

I’ll talk firearms later, but this applies to any valuables. Once you vacate your vehicle, consider it compromised and it will be damaged, destroyed, and/or broken into and pilfered. Some people put a ton of cool shit in their vehicle for an apocalyptic scenario, but when they break down near the bad side of town and catch an Uber to make their doctor’s appointment while calling a tow truck that takes four hours…not much may be left of your vehicle contents.  If it’s valuable, be prepared to carry it on foot if you want to keep it; nothing left in your vehicle is guaranteed.

Quoted:
Then just a bag with a change of clothes, comfy shoes, first aid kit, and maybe some snacks.
View Quote

The hot/humid season is fast approaching, which can play hell on some of your gear. My approach is just a large bag with seasonal clothes (need to swap out to lighter stuff now), trekking shoes, and some EDC stuff I can’t carry at work.

However, that larger bag has a couple of smaller pullouts. I found a larger get-home-bag that’s fully loaded is a PITA to manage when it comes to sensitive items or those with expiration dates. First Aid items, medicine, electronics/batteries, some snack foods, etc., are in that clothes bag. It just makes them easier to manage and if my truck is sitting outside for a weekend, I can bring that bag in the house.

The pack has other essentials less affected by the heat (shelter, canteen kit, water bladder, filter, etc.).

The pack and clothes are really for when we travel out of town or just what I keep have for where I work. Where I work, it’s an extremely secure area; theft is not a concern at all. I do need a little more robust “vehicle” EDC because I’m extremely limited on what I can have at work.

I do have a truck, so I have a little more space to work with. I always have a case or two of water in my truck. The key is just to rotate it. I only grab a bottle or two a week, and when I’m down to the last of the first case of water, I’ll buy a new one before I break into the next.  So, I will always have at least a full case of water in the truck and they slowly rotate by use over a 3-4 months, and I’ve had zero issues with bottled water stored in the GA summer heat.

So, the first two parts of my system, the clothes bag with heat-sensitive items and pack are mostly designed for where I work. I need a change of clothes as I will likely be in a suit or dress attire that I wouldn’t want to trek more than a mile or two in (heck, our parking area is a half-mile away from the facility!). It’s not necessarily a GTFO now kit, but I have it to where I can either change and kit up at my truck or grab both and move to a place where I can.

Third part of my system is for when we travel into town for the weekend or out of town, as small Sling Bag or small pack.

Quoted:
Common sense says you will continue in the vehicle as long as the vehicle is mobile. But once it's not- or your blocked in, etc. you may need to GTFO of the car with no time to dig in trunks for packs, etc.

In that regard I bought one of those "sling bag" deals that is always draped over my seat. There is couple hundred in cash, about 30 in small bills (money grenade), mags for my pistol and some "other" items in there that could potentially help you get out of/through a large crowd.
View Quote

This right is here is something that has resurfaced. We used to call them “Go Bags”, which was more applicable to a combat environment where you vehicle gets hit, disabled, blocked in, etc. While it’s not so much combat-related, the past couple years has shown how violent staged protests can get from the left. I had just moved back from VA, when an area I had been to had that violent protest and some woman with a baby drove down the wrong street. Surrounded by violent protestors. Now, that’s not a time to leave your vehicle, but chances are you may not get far, you may get blocked in, you my have your vehicle disabled. Those are situations where if you’re forced on foot, you need to grab and go, and go fast. It’s been a more important consideration lately, but I’ve made this the third part of my system.

Theft is always a concern. Work is not a concern for theft in my situation, zero; however, if we go to dinner or somewhere on the weekend, it could be. If we’re just in the nearby town, I may not have my larger bag (with a larger firearm). You really just have to know your area, avoid leaving your vehicle for long periods, and make sure items are covered up as much as possible. There’s never a guarantee and it’s always a risk, but there are ways to mitigate those risks. When we travel out of two, it’s usually to a hotel or family’s house. My kit will often get brought into the hotel or home as I don’t know the areas.

Firearms are very situational.  Sure, EDC and CCW are likely the primary for everyone, but not everyone can carry at work. That creates some challenges and increases the risk. I keep a Glock 43 in my truck at all times and my pack (Eberlestock) conceals a folding brace AK pistol during the work weeks.  Again, just my personal risk assessments and my situation where theft concerns are quite minimal.

•  Don’t over think it too much. Have a quick-exit, grab bag.
•  Keep a spare change of clothes/footwear if your work/travel attire aren’t for trekking on foot.
•  Have some basic kit to keep your vehicle mobile.
•  Keep your expendables/heat-sensitive items in a separate grab bag to make rotation management easier.
•  Anything left in your vehicle if you vacate in an unknown area or overnight is considered gone.
•  Adjust your kit if you travel out of town.
•  Keep as much of your kit out of sight if possible.
•  If you don’t plan to use your vehicle in the next 12-24 hours, move it to the house/hotel.

Now, the next evolution for me is a much smaller kit since my wife is now wanting to do “car camping” with her rooftop tent and hatch-back kitchen…

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some good info already.

I just had my truck serviced with a recall upgrade, so I pulled most of my stuff out before I took it in. While I have the most of the standard stuff for a vehicle (oil, jumper cables, some smaller tools/recovery tools, tow strap, blanket, flares, etc.), my “get home bag” is a three part system and conditional. I am getting a lithium battery jumper and portable compressor added here shortly, but I also have a tool box in the bed to store and secure them.

The first part is simply define your environment, assess the risks, especially the most likely, and then list out your requirements. If I lived in a more populated area, I would be more worried about theft. If I lived in a more rural environment, I may be more focused on self-recovery. If I travel for work, my kit would be a little more robust. If I worked and stayed closer to home, it would be smaller and more minimalist.

I’ll talk firearms later, but this applies to any valuables. Once you vacate your vehicle, consider it compromised and it will be damaged, destroyed, and/or broken into and pilfered. Some people put a ton of cool shit in their vehicle for an apocalyptic scenario, but when they break down near the bad side of town and catch an Uber to make their doctor’s appointment while calling a tow truck that takes four hours…not much may be left of your vehicle contents.  If it’s valuable, be prepared to carry it on foot if you want to keep it; nothing left in your vehicle is guaranteed.

The hot/humid season is fast approaching, which can play hell on some of your gear. My approach is just a large bag with seasonal clothes (need to swap out to lighter stuff now), trekking shoes, and some EDC stuff I can’t carry at work.

However, that larger bag has a couple of smaller pullouts. I found a larger get-home-bag that’s fully loaded is a PITA to manage when it comes to sensitive items or those with expiration dates. First Aid items, medicine, electronics/batteries, some snack foods, etc., are in that clothes bag. It just makes them easier to manage and if my truck is sitting outside for a weekend, I can bring that bag in the house.

The pack has other essentials less affected by the heat (shelter, canteen kit, water bladder, filter, etc.).

The pack and clothes are really for when we travel out of town or just what I keep have for where I work. Where I work, it’s an extremely secure area; theft is not a concern at all. I do need a little more robust “vehicle” EDC because I’m extremely limited on what I can have at work.

I do have a truck, so I have a little more space to work with. I always have a case or two of water in my truck. The key is just to rotate it. I only grab a bottle or two a week, and when I’m down to the last of the first case of water, I’ll buy a new one before I break into the next.  So, I will always have at least a full case of water in the truck and they slowly rotate by use over a 3-4 months, and I’ve had zero issues with bottled water stored in the GA summer heat.

So, the first two parts of my system, the clothes bag with heat-sensitive items and pack are mostly designed for where I work. I need a change of clothes as I will likely be in a suit or dress attire that I wouldn’t want to trek more than a mile or two in (heck, our parking area is a half-mile away from the facility!). It’s not necessarily a GTFO now kit, but I have it to where I can either change and kit up at my truck or grab both and move to a place where I can.

Third part of my system is for when we travel into town for the weekend or out of town, as small Sling Bag or small pack.

This right is here is something that has resurfaced. We used to call them “Go Bags”, which was more applicable to a combat environment where you vehicle gets hit, disabled, blocked in, etc. While it’s not so much combat-related, the past couple years has shown how violent staged protests can get from the left. I had just moved back from VA, when an area I had been to had that violent protest and some woman with a baby drove down the wrong street. Surrounded by violent protestors. Now, that’s not a time to leave your vehicle, but chances are you may not get far, you may get blocked in, you my have your vehicle disabled. Those are situations where if you’re forced on foot, you need to grab and go, and go fast. It’s been a more important consideration lately, but I’ve made this the third part of my system.

Theft is always a concern. Work is not a concern for theft in my situation, zero; however, if we go to dinner or somewhere on the weekend, it could be. If we’re just in the nearby town, I may not have my larger bag (with a larger firearm). You really just have to know your area, avoid leaving your vehicle for long periods, and make sure items are covered up as much as possible. There’s never a guarantee and it’s always a risk, but there are ways to mitigate those risks. When we travel out of two, it’s usually to a hotel or family’s house. My kit will often get brought into the hotel or home as I don’t know the areas.

Firearms are very situational.  Sure, EDC and CCW are likely the primary for everyone, but not everyone can carry at work. That creates some challenges and increases the risk. I keep a Glock 43 in my truck at all times and my pack (Eberlestock) conceals a folding brace AK pistol during the work weeks.  Again, just my personal risk assessments and my situation where theft concerns are quite minimal.

•  Don’t over think it too much. Have a quick-exit, grab bag.
•  Keep a spare change of clothes/footwear if your work/travel attire aren’t for trekking on foot.
•  Have some basic kit to keep your vehicle mobile.
•  Keep your expendables/heat-sensitive items in a separate grab bag to make rotation management easier.
•  Anything left in your vehicle if you vacate in an unknown area or overnight is considered gone.
•  Adjust your kit if you travel out of town.
•  Keep as much of your kit out of sight if possible.
•  If you don’t plan to use your vehicle in the next 12-24 hours, move it to the house/hotel.

Now, the next evolution for me is a much smaller kit since my wife is now wanting to do “car camping” with her rooftop tent and hatch-back kitchen…

ROCK6
View Quote

@rock6 thanks, I saw I tagged you incorrectly previously. I built a pretty solid short trip/normal EDC bag with your help recently and grab it if I need to actually go anywhere besides work or Publix.

It’s a vertx bag
Soft armor
Rattler or flux Glock (depending on mood/need)
EDC reload/light
Real light
Multi tool
Fire kit
Pocket knife back up
Fixed blade
Etc.

I typically keep a PSA AR in a covert bag in the trunk area locked up. My work security seems similar to yours so no real concern, but I agree that it’s something I’d need to take should I need to hoof home. I can get away with pretty casual dress at work but will throw some weather specific stuff in there too.

For food would you consider mountain house (or similar) for longer term storage? I know it’s more money but after living in Texas I know heat destroys everything that melts below 150* or so. I cycle water and Gatorade yearly too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I keep more things in my vehicle than most and a lot of it has been really handy.  

The most used items:
    12 volt air compressor
    Tire plug kit.   Yes, I have plugged tires on the side of the road and aired the tire up with the compressor.
     Jumper cables
     Automotive fuses
     Adjustable trailer hitch with three different size balls
     4 pin/7 pin adapter
     Short piece of chain
     two ratchet straps

Mosquito repellant
     Sun block

First aid kit:
           Bandaids
           Tweezers
           Ibuprofen
           Gauze
           Tape
           Neosporin
           Burn cream
           Compression bandages
           Tourniquet
           Smelling salts

Parachute cord
      Bank Line
      Sun glasses that can change lenses with safety glasses
      Wet wipes
      Gorilla Tape
      Zip ties

Eneloop AA/AAA batteries in a cooler
       AA/AAA Battery charger (powered by 12 volt and/or 120 volts)
       Streamlight Siege AA lantern
       Streamlight Sidewinder Flashlight
       Head Light
       Multimeter
       GPS/Compass/Map

Tow Strap/shackels
       Folding shovel
       Camping chair
       small blanket that is plastic on one side, flannel on the other

Hand warmers with liquid fuel bottle.
       Work gloves

Micro-USB/Lightning/USB-C Charging cables

Extra Leatherman Surge with full bit set
       Fixed Blade knife
       Sharpener
       Sharpie Marker
       Rite in the Rain pen/paper
       Deck of cards
       50 gallon contractor bags
       1 gallon ziplock freezer bags

Poncho
       Rain jacket
       Fleece Jacket
       Two full changes of clothes
       Shemagh
       Flip Flops

Soap/shampoo/Towel/Hair brush
       Alcohol hand sanitizer
       Small can of Butane Fluid for refillable lighter
       A couple of Bic lighter and Hurricane Matches
       Grayl Water Filter with extra filters

Six handgun magazines/12 rounds for the revolver

In the winter I also carry a folding snow shovel, winter boots, TRAX for the boots.  
       I keep some bottles of water and food in the cooler to keep it from being temperature cycled.  

I keep an empty bag in the vehicle so that if I want to leave the vehicle in questionable weather then I can throw rain gear or whatever in the bag and go.  

The change of clothes can be nice when you get caught in the rain.   I used it once when I assisted the local fire department and their boat broke down in the river across from my folks house.  I made a couple of swims out to it ferrying tools.   I have also used the clothes when I spent an extra couple of shifts at work without warning.  

The water filter has been nice when I have found myself in places where the water tasted like complete crap.   Run it through the Grayl and it tastes a lot better.  

Tow straps and chains I have pulled people out of ditches and the snow.  

I stopped at one accident where the couple took a turn too fast and ended up down in a deep ditch.   I laid the blanket in the mud so that a woman in a dress could crawl out of the car without crawling through the mud.  

Mosquito repellant and sun block have been hugely helpful when the bugs were worse than expected and I ended up outside more than expected.  

It is interesting how often the different items have come in handy.  
View Quote

What type of vehicle do you drive and how do you store/carry/organize all of that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Very Carefully!!!!!

Seriously it doesn't take up as much room as you would think.    

I drive an H3 Hummer.   The back hatch/door has a removable cover that goes over the spare-tire-jack.   Ref:  

There are voids on both sides of that jack.   In the pic above you can see the hint of a blue bag that someone put in one of these voids.   I put the folding shovel on one side, a zip lock back containing the hand warmers, fluid, and then a couple of hats, scarf, and extra gloves on the other.   Then I wrap the jumper cables around the space that the jack is in.   They have to be unwound to remove them or the jack but I don't use them often so no big deal.  

First aid kit is this:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G07FO8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it is impressive how much stuff you can fit in there if you work at it.  I used to keep it in the drawer in the back but I was at an accident where the back of the vehicle was caved in.   I realized that I wouldn't be able to access the kit under those circumstances so now I hang it on the back of the passengers seat with a purse hanger.  

I usually have at least three jackets in the vehicle.   Even in the summer.   They can be used by themselves or layered.   I simply hang them on the back of the seats.   Very accessible and useful.   Even pulling into work and finding an unexpected downpour I can reach back, pull the raincoat from the back of the seat, and put it on before opening  the door and getting out.   And as a side note, hanging coats over the first aid kit keeps it from swaying and hitting the seat when driving.   I don't usually have people riding in the back but when I have they haven't indicated any issues with the coats.   If they did then I would simply toss them in the back.  

The cold weather gear gear (winter boots, folding snow shovel, traxs) go in an MTM Ammo Crate that sits on top of the drawer.   That is only included late fall through late winter.  

Most of the stuff is store in a Snapsafe Under Bed Safe.  AKA Drawer.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07831CKL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   The large fits in the back of the H3 with 1" on each side.   Kind of similar to this pic but obvioulsy this isn't an H3.  

And because of the way the fold down seats work It actually makes the back of the vehicle more usable.   The seats folded down are higher than the very back of the vehicle.  Ref:  

So by putting a 6" deep drawer in the very back it makes the height of the floor more consistent.   And there is a gap between the safe the other seats folded down.   (Actually the gap is still there with the seats folded up as well) That is where the blanket and the camping chair are stored.   And no matter what I put on top of the drawer, the contents of the drawer are still accessible with the rear door open.  

I have three different coolers depending on where I am going or what I am doing.  35 quart Pelican, 35 quart Dometic (electric The H3 has 12 volts in the rear) or 14 quart pelican.   They ride on top of the drawer and the contents of the coolers are accessible by opening the back hatch.

I often have a get home bag in the back as well.  It gets moved around a bit but most often it just lays on top of the drawer.   There is a smaller, empty backpack that is thrown in anywhere that get used however appropriate.   Example: Nothing going on at work one day and the weather is great so we may eject an decide to go for a hike.  We sometimes stop at a place on the way home from work.     I will grab a poncho from the drawer, fleece from the back of the seat, a couple of water bottles from the cooler, and throw that stuff and a couple of other items in the RUSH12 and hit the trail.   When I get back I put everything back where it belongs and replenish the consumables when I get home.  

Maybe I should mention that the RUSH12 has its own kit that stays in the bag.   That kit contains a mini-first aid kit, tiny bottle of mosquito repellent, lighters wrapped in Gorilla Tape, compass, disposable poncho, couple of mylar emergency blankets, flashlight, coil of parachute cord, pocket bottle of hand sanitizer, really small USB battery pack with cords, and a couple of handgun magazines.

If I park anywhere remotely sketchy I try to back in and put the back of the vehicle against something.   If you cannot get the back door open then you would really have to work to get the drawer open.   There are rarely weapons stored in the vehicle and but I would prefer to not have to replace all of this stuff.   The value got my attention when I got an amazing deal on a second H3 Hummer and started looking at what it would cost me to outfit it the same way.....  

Some people raise their eyebrows a bit about what I keep in my vehicles but the number of times that it has turned a potentially serious issue into something completely minor has shown the value of being prepared.    

Example:   I stopped at a disabled mini-van on the side of the road on Christmas Eve.   It didn't have any lights on but I could see a guy standing by the vehicle as I approached.   It was a family of five and the vehicle "just died" on the way home from a family get together.  They had about twenty-ish miles to go.   We popped the hood and I grabbed a flashlight, jumper cables, and a wide brimmed hat because it was misting slightly.   As soon as we hooked the jumper cables up the hazards came on.   I used the multimeter to show the battery at 9 volts DC and charging at 50 amps.  My thinking was get the battery charged enough to get them where they were going and then deal with it later.
 They had called family to get them before I got there so they were set in that regard.   The fuse at the battery was good.  It was cold while I stood there waiting for the battery to charge so I grabbed another layer for my coat and a set of gloves from the drawer.   After about twenty minutes the battery still showed only 9 volts, the starter would not engage,  and the jumper cables were getting warm so it was apparent that this was a lost cause.  About this time family showed up and took the mom and three kids.   I waited with the Dad for the tow truck.   Since we were wasting our time trying to charge this thing I pulled the jumper cables and the vehicle was dark again.   Not all of the drivers were paying attention (state highway and cars were drifting over both lines as they passed by) so we put one of the lanterns on the back of the vehicle while we waited for the tow truck.   After about 90 minutes I grabbed a couple of water bottles out of the cooler and by that time we were waiting in the warmth of my vehicle.   The tow truck arrived and I dropped the Dad off at his house a little before midnight.   We watched a lot of vehicles drive by that night.   I was the only one that stopped.  

Another time I stopped to help a woman change a flat in a slushy winter day.  Her truck was full of donations for something.   I cannot remember what but they were new boxes of children's toys and stuff.   So we put the flat tire in a contractors garbage bag before we put it back in the trunk.   I used the vinyl layered blanket to avoid kneeling in the slush while changing the tire.   Another guy stopped to help.  I used a water bottle to wash my hands before leaving.  

And then one AM I stopped to help an Army soldier change a tire.  Outside temp was about 10F and he didn't have a coat or a jack.   We used my jack, the vinyl blanket again to stay out of the snow, and we worked FAST.    It was COLD.   He thought that he was going to be there for hours before his buddies could get to him.   He had a full tank of gas so he would have been all set.   Had it turned into a project then I could have loaned him a coat.   It wouldn't have fit him well but it was better than what he had.  

I have used the water bottles to fill radiators on the side of the road.   That one turned out to be some of my son's friends.  I didn't know it at the time.  

I have also used water bottles to wash hands after a guy gutted the deer that his wife killed with her truck.

I was at a range day with buddies one day and we got caught in an unexpected downpour.   There were weapons and ammo everywhere and it went from "Hey, its sprinkling...." to "downpour" in less than a minute.   We were more worried about keeping the weapons and ammo dry than us so we got drenched.   Rather than stay wet or drive two hours home I changed into dry clothes that I had in the H3.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For food would you consider mountain house (or similar) for longer term storage? I know it’s more money but after living in Texas I know heat destroys everything that melts below 150* or so. I cycle water and Gatorade yearly too.
View Quote

This is always a challenge, but like you I've had to do this in both Texas and Georgia summers.  For "long term", Mountain House or other freeze-dried foods will do okay, but I would only include them if I'm going to be out of town as you have to also consider stove and fuel. I have left them in the tuck, but rotated them every couple of years to use for a backpacking trip.

I'll pull out what I currently have, it was just a small dry bag with some "rations". For short-term, 3-5 days, I just made it a snack/brew kit. To be quite honest, a few small squeeze tubes of peanut butter, and a few Millennium bars (meant to handle extreme temps) are what I normally go with now. I don't necessarily like the Millennium bars, they don't taste bad, but just enough to keep me from grabbing  them for a snack when it's not an emergency

Again, for short term (think less than 50-70 miles from home), I just want something I can eat on the go, drink mixes/electrolytes and maybe a few hot drink mixes. I guess a few oatmeal packets would survive a year or two in our summers. MRE bread or MRE snacks will also do well.

The "brew" part of the kit is mostly for cooler temps, so I would just swap out the powdered Gatorade or other electrolyte drink mixes. They will clump up over time, so I would rotate/use them annually or every other year. Again, you I would swap the snack bars with Millennium and some regular granola bars

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
No one asked me directly but my approach to food is a bit different than Rock's.   I keep a cooler in the vehicle and throw a couple of frozen bottles in it every couple of days.   The idea isn't to refrigerate the contents but  just to keep it from being temperature cycled every day.  Then throughout the week I routinely eat and drink out of the cooler replenishing what I use as I go.   So nothing ever really gets old and there is always a couple of days worth of food in the cooler.   I get some interesting looks when we have been spending a couple of hours in the 95+ degree heat and I make a trip to the truck and come back with a bag of Hershey Chocolate Nuggets and a couple of cold water bottles.   Canned goods work well with this approach.   Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Spaghetti O's with meatballs are a hit with the kids, Granola bars, Cliff Bars, Beef jerky, and Dole Fruit Bowls.   The fruit bowls are a special treat on a hot day.   I was surprised how refreshing those are when they are cold.   The stew and spaghetti aren't any fun to eat cold but take them out of the cooler and set them in the sun and they warm up quick.   Plus I have a small stove in my get home bag if needed.   And FYI:   I rarely venture farther than three days from home on foot.   The stuff that I have in the truck wouldn't suffer much in the heat for three days.   Except the chocolate but that would probably get eaten right off or be left behind.  

As for the weight of the food.   If venturing out on foot I probably wouldn't take it all.   If stranded then that is a different story and weight isn't that much of an issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
heres stuff i've actually used in my car
wet wipes - easily the most used item
jumper cables
spare tire and tire iron
multi tool
snacks
water and electrolyte mix
big bright flashlight
cell phone charger cable / backup battery. also spare lithium AAA and AA
duct tape
first aid kit
blanket frequently as a ground cloth
rags / paper towels
change of clothes
sunscreen and bug spray

things i'd also really want to have
space blanket
some container to boil water in
tinder
water purification tabs or filter
spare mags
cat litter if you live where it snows

most of whats in my EDC, including a small tool kit pictured below

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep mostly vehicle related stuff in my truck.  If I am going further than to/ from work, I will bring my small GHB and some food to supplement.  I keep a gear bag in my car but it's some basic supplies, and work gear nothing earth shattering.  While I live pretty rural, I won't leave anything in any vehicle I am not willing to have walk away when I walk away from the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to drive 120 miles a day and now only 40 total

still keep the tire repair kit/ pump, fire extinguisher, first aid, basic tools. life raft food bar, life straw, jumper cables, and some water.

I keep my EDC carry gun in a lock box.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The part of vehicle preps most miss is that of having to ditch the car in extreme duress.

I.e, you took a wrong turn at MLK and 187 Avenue and riots just ramped up there. And of course all of us should know by now these things don't just happen in the hood- for all the "I don't live in a bad place" or "I don't go to the ghetto" answers.

Common sense says you will continue in the vehicle as long as the vehicle is mobile. But once it's not- or your blocked in, etc. you may need to GTFO of the car with no time to dig in trunks for packs, etc.

In that regard I bought one of those "sling bag" deals that is always draped over my seat. There is couple hundred in cash, about 30 in small bills (money grenade), mags for my pistol and some "other" items in there that could potentially help you get out of/through a large crowd.

For the folks that have spare plates, or have traded up to lightweight plates but still have the crazy old heavy steel plates- think about putting them behind your back on your seat and putting a seat cover over them, or in other parts of the car. Back in the long, long ago, we always had a couple stacked behind where my son's car seat sat in our car.

Also, what about all the super new features of a new car? Do you have collision warnings/auto braking disconnected? Maybe you should??
View Quote

Good post.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Great thread, thanks for all the ideas - and incentive to rework my GHB.  
I did install an EMP Shield, to hopefully keep my Tacoma operable.
The bed is covered with a DiamondBack lockable hard cover, which seems a good security upgrade.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The part of vehicle preps most miss is that of having to ditch the car in extreme duress.

I.e, you took a wrong turn at MLK and 187 Avenue and riots just ramped up there. And of course all of us should know by now these things don't just happen in the hood- for all the "I don't live in a bad place" or "I don't go to the ghetto" answers.

View Quote

This goes for things like changing tires as well.  You need to be able to change a tire effectively, and without digging through a ton of shit.  This means a breaker bar with the proper sockets at a minimum, and if you know you're dealing with a potential emergency you want a spare that isn't under the vehicle.

If something is big enough to hurt you if it goes flying, important enough that you need to not lose it, or can just generally be a distraction if it gets loose - secure it.   People are lazy motherfuckers and don't secure things.

Have friggin' maps so you avoid the corner of MLK and 187th in the first place.  No, your phone isn't going to cut it.

On keeping the thing on the road:

Have a Haynes manual that lives in the vehicle.  If you wrench on your car - and I would certainly hope you do - build the vehicle tool kit around changing flats, configuring vehicle accessories (if tools are needed to do so), and general maintenance and auto repair.  The way you do the latter is by doing your normal vehicle work with the tool kit that lives in the vehicle.   If you have to get a tool from the garage, make a choice whether one should live in the kit or if you can live without it.  

Less is more: tools are heavy and theft magnets.  You want to carry people and supplies, not a tool corral.  Sockets, breaker bar, ratchet and extensions, bit driver, big wrenches and little wrenches in select sizes (you may need to do a nut and bolt of the same size at the same time), something to cut wire.   A mallet, maybe a small hammer.  Specialized tools you may need like stuff to retract the brakes on some makes for brake work.  A properly sized flare nut wrench, a good one not a shit one, for brake lines.  Mini-hacksaw.

Tire patch kit and a little compressor.

Keeping on top of repairs means things don't go bad and then make other things go bad.

Have some basic spares: fuses, belt, air filter.  You can go a long way with some zip ties, JB weld, duct tape.  I have a little bottle of brake fluid and fittings to cap off sections of the brakes if needed, since I offroad a lot: this is why I carry the flare nut wrench.   Some wire.   As you wrench on your vehicle, note what size fasteners are common and toss a couple of each in a baggie.   You can carry fewer by cutting down longer bolts if needed.   Mini-tub of vaseline: you can use this to turn a lot of common things into gaskets in a pinch.  A little tin of bearing grease: when you need it, you need it.

You can dual-purpose some of your water if you bring along some non-premix antifreeze, or just throw in some premixed stuff.

+1 also to the small cheapo OBD-II scanner.  You can fix more than you probably think.

If you are going offroad then recovery is a whole additional topic.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
A lot depends on the type of vehicle and the type of use.  For instance, my 78LTD II Sport Touring model is strictly a street vehicle.  So first aid kit, fire extinguisher, small tool kit and jump box and a GHB.  My pickup, those plus a little bigger tool kit and a bigger GHB.  My Scrambler, a whole other story and would take pages to describe what 40 years of experience has taught me to carry and why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top