Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow, 60 years!

You win, I'm just a pup at 39 years.
View Quote
First licensed as a Tech in 1960.

General 1967 and Advanced 1976 respectively. (I think)

Both General and Advanced from FCC Examiners prior to ARRL takeover.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First licensed as a Tech in 1960.

General 1967 and Advanced 1976 respectively. (I think)

Both General and Advanced from FCC Examiners prior to ARRL takeover.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Are vanity calls generally frowned upon or something?

I've seen some comments here and then have heard some in person too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told by a long term ham acquaintance that vanity calls are "pretentious".

There are quite a number of them around, but most of my old crowd (who aren't dead) have hung on to their original call sign.

I switched because I had taken about 15 years off from amateur radio and decided that if I was going to essentially start again, I would do so with a new vanity call.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was told by a long term ham acquaintance that vanity calls are "pretentious".

There are quite a number of them around, but most of my old crowd (who aren't dead) have hung on to their original call sign.

I switched because I had taken about 15 years off from amateur radio and decided that if I was going to essentially start again, I would do so with a new vanity call.
View Quote
Hmm. That's strange. It's just kind of a fun perk of the hobby I think. But hey, I guess everyone has opinion.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It defeats the purpose of having different lands if you pick a number that you don't live in. Happens so much now that you can't go by the number to know where someone generally is. Being relatively new I don't care but it confuses the dickens out of my dad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If hams aren't forced to change calls when they move from region to region, what's the difference in having a vanity with a different number?

Just like cell phone numbers, people move and keep their old numbers.  Yeah, that drives me crazy, but its the new reality.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have handy a reference for what call sign parts theoretically indicate a station's location?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone have handy a reference for what call sign parts theoretically indicate a station's location?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It defeats the purpose of having different lands if you pick a number that you don't live in. Happens so much now that you can't go by the number to know where someone generally is. Being relatively new I don't care but it confuses the dickens out of my dad.
View Quote
Yeah I can see that. I picked another 5 call. I wanted my initials and got them but wanted to stay in region 5. It just felt funny to change that.

I do know a guy locally who's grandfather was a ham in region 1. When it came up, he grabbed it. Even though he's in 5. I guess that's the upside of not having to stay in your region.

Also being new it doesn't mess me up. But being a long time operator, I can see that causing confusion.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards%20Application%20Forms/WASmap_Color.pdf

Thank you! I went to the link and see the map. So, if I understand correctly, the number that is in our call signs corresponds to the region numbers on that map. Cool! I have seen that map before, but had not noticed the correlation.

For some reason, it did not show when you posted it, so I will try:

In case it does not show, here it is as a link: https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards%20Application%20Forms/WASmap_Color.pdf
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmm. That's strange. It's just kind of a fun perk of the hobby I think. But hey, I guess everyone has opinion.
View Quote
It's a perk which relates to license class, and that offends the egalitarians.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
As the boomers like me die off, there will be lots of 1x2 and 2x1 calls available...especially when the FCC starts collecting fees again.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's a perk which relates to according to license class, and that offends the egalitarians.
View Quote

These would be the same egalitarians who feel that everyone should have Extra class privileges without the nuisance of having to pass a test.

I'm not offended by them.  I've been licensed for a long time and have had ample opportunities to change my callsign, but chose not to.  My personal choice, same as every ham has.  Everyone of us can request a callsign change to a different one in or below our license class.

I do disagree with the FCC removing regional restrictions.  First off it's a nuisance when you think the person you are contacting is in the northeast only to find out they are in California or somewhere.  Additionally, think of it as it applies to emergency situations.  For example, a NCS needs to contact someone in the southeast but he can't just look down his list of sign-ins for someone in Region 4 he has to call out for someone in this region and wait for a response that might not come.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

These would be the same egalitarians who feel that everyone should have Extra class privileges without the nuisance of having to pass a test.

I'm not offended by them.  I've been licensed for a long time and have had ample opportunities to change my callsign, but chose not to.  My personal choice, same as every ham has.  Everyone of us can request a callsign change to a different one in or below our license class.

I do disagree with the FCC removing regional restrictions.  First off it's a nuisance when you think the person you are contacting is in the northeast only to find out they are in California or somewhere.  Additionally, think of it as it applies to emergency situations.  For example, a NCS needs to contact someone in the southeast but he can't just look down his list of sign-ins for someone in Region 4 he has to call out for someone in this region and wait for a response that might not come.
View Quote
In the old days, some guys (who moved around a lot) had QSL cards with a half dozen or so Ex call signs on them, as you had to get a new one when you changed districts.

I put my Ex on my eyeball cards so folks don't think my vanity call is the only one I ever held.

I suppose that is just more vanity.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In the old days, some guys (who moved around a lot) had QSL cards with a half dozen or so Ex call signs on them, as you had to get a new one when you changed districts.

I put my Ex on my eyeball cards so folks don't think my vanity call is the only one I ever held.

I suppose that is just more vanity.
View Quote

Yeah, I've seen a lot of those.  Especially the guys that used to go on a lot of DXpeditions.  I looked up an old one a few days ago and I bet he had a dozen or more former calls.

In your case I don't think it's vanity.  A single old call is useful.  Lets us know if we've worked before.  If I ever get new cards printed I think I'm going to put "Same call since 1976" on them somewhere ;)
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I got a vanity because my FCC issued original call was K**NRZ and a prominent local ham on many of the same nets is K*NRZ, and has had that call since before I was born. It was causing some confusion so I picked up a vanity with my initials.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got a vanity because my FCC issued original call was K**NRZ and a prominent local ham on many of the same nets is K*NRZ, and has had that call since before I was born. It was causing some confusion so I picked up a vanity with my initials.
View Quote
I hope you were trying to out yourself there, because I think you may have succeeded, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was able to get my 1x3 several years ago.  It was my Grandfathers.   K7H**

View Quote

Same thing here....my Grandfathers call from way back K8B**
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked a vanity call; because reasons.

Those of you that know my call ( please don't give it away or post it, or make it obvious by comment) know why.

My son has his great grandfathers call.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I still think there should be a collection of names with call signs available only to those who have passed through Striker's Wormhole.

Participation should be voluntary though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top