Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2021 8:26:53 PM EDT
How long does it take to get a vanity callsign approved?  I applied on April 8?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
18 days
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
18 days
View Quote

This. Every time
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Look up AE7Q.com and read.

All will be revealed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Today is 18 days.  My three choices for 1x2 were denied.  My first choice for a 1x3 says prediction/assignment, so I assume that I will get that one?

I will have to keep trying for a 1x2.

KI5NKO soon to be K6KRC (my initials)
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine took around 2 weeks.
KK6DOA
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Today is 18 days.  My three choices for 1x2 were denied.  My first choice for a 1x3 says prediction/assignment, so I assume that I will get that one?

I will have to keep trying for a 1x2.

KI5NKO soon to be K6KRC (my initials)
View Quote
1x2s go fast. You have to stay on top of when they become available. Radio QTH has what is open, about to be open and even others that are further out(years). But you've gotten be quick on the trigger cause everyone else is waiting too most likely. It's why I just went with a 1x3 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
So is the fee for vanity calls applicable yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My three choices for 1x2 were denied.
View Quote

Virtually all 2x1 and 1x2 format callsigns are claimed on the day they become available. If you're not tracking them via a website or whatever your chances of getting a 4 character callsign are near zero.

Saying, hey this is a cool callsign I think I'll apply for it, for a 4 character randomly selected callsign is zero chance.

There are a very small number of less desirable letter combinations that aren't claimed immediately, you might be able to grab one of those.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So is the fee for vanity calls applicable yet?
View Quote

Not yet -- supposedly sometime this summer.

I was one of the lucky ones. On the very day my Extra upgrade appeared in the ULS, a 2X1 became available in my area, and I was able to get it. It has a phoentic weight of 9 and Morse weight of 46, so it's on the decent end of the scale. The exact same digits in a 1X2 became available last week. I was tempted, but passed for two reasons. One, if I were lucky enough to win it, my current callsign would be lost to anyone else for two years. And two, I'm sure all the locals who frequent the various repeaters in my area are already familiar with my callsign and it would only add confusion if I were to change it now. 11 people applied for that 1X2 last week.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Virtually all 2x1 and 1x2 format callsigns are claimed on the day they become available. If you're not tracking them via a website or whatever your chances of getting a 4 character callsign are near zero.

Saying, hey this is a cool callsign I think I'll apply for it, for a 4 character randomly selected callsign is zero chance.

There are a very small number of less desirable letter combinations that aren't claimed immediately, you might be able to grab one of those.
View Quote

I was also a little surprised that OP didn’t check the existing call signs to confirm availability.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was also a little surprised that OP didn't check the existing call signs to confirm availability.
View Quote
As was I, but I decided to be polite (for a change) and not say anything, but you opened the door.

Check with QRZ at least, and save FCC the extra work and annoyance of silly requests for unavailable call signs. It doesn't help anyone.

The really dopey ones are the ones rejected because the applicant doesn't have a high enough class license. That is downright stupid.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, I did check all callsigns in all 11 regions.  My first three choices were 1X2 that were up for renewal.  On two, they said I was too early, on one, too late.  There are still a number of 1X2 that are available, but none were acceptable to me.

BTW - I am Extra, so I was definitely qualified to get a 1X2.  I just missed out on the ones that I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
There is one 2x1 available in the 5 district right now:  WC5X (been available since April 24)
http://www.ae7q.com/query/list/GenLicAvail.php?REGION=5
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, with the demand for 1X2 and 2X1 callsigns being so high, you can't really be picky. You pretty much just need to keep applying for every available one until you finally win out. Your chances are extremely poor if you want a particular one.

The key for these 4-digit callsigns is to apply the first day that they are available. If you apply early, you are disqualified, and if you apply after the first day of availability, someone else probably applied on the first day and you lose again. You can file one application a day, so simply send one in everytime a new callsign is available.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is one 2x1 available in the 5 district right now:  WC5X (been available since April 24)
http://www.ae7q.com/query/list/GenLicAvail.php?REGION=5
View Quote

Two things:

1. The AE7Q page runs a day or two behind the FCC, so it is possible for someone to have already applied and AE7Q just hasn't reflected it yet.

According to THIS, it has applied for.

2. The OP has indicated that he's predicted to win a 1X3. That means that any applications after that one will be rejected, unless he cancels that winning application first.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I was able to get my 1x3 several years ago.  It was my Grandfathers.   K7H**

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m not overly content with a 3 call but just getting a 2x1, I should be happy.  I still apply occasionally for a 1x2 call in 7 land but the competition is fierce.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#19]
It took a few tries, but I managed to get a 1x2 several years ago, when VanityHQ was still around.  I don't miss my original 14-syllable 2x3 call all that much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It took a few tries, but I managed to get a 1x2 several years ago, when VanityHQ was still around.  I don't miss my original 14-syllable 2x3 call all that much.
View Quote
Wouldn't think one or two characters makes a difference but it feels like it does. I had a LL in my  original. That Lima Lima messed people up Baez
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
2x2 for the win!

View Quote

I was fortunate enough to have my Advanced call issued as KK7SX. Then I forgot to check the box to keep that call when I upgraded to Extra. But I lucked out again when someone at the FCC must have seen I’m in Arizona, and gave me an even better call. No need for a vanity callsign.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As was I, but I decided to be polite (for a change) and not say anything, but you opened the door.

View Quote

Ha. Sorry if I may have across as a jerk to anyone. Not intended. Sometimes people don’t know they have the ability to check and see if the CSs are available. I suppose I could have worded it differently.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#23]
My fist application was terminated due to me not understanding how the process works.  But on my second application I was fortunate enough to get a nice 1x2.  I think there were 4 people in competition for that one.  I would have been happy with my second choice a 2x1 or even the 2x2 I picked out.

But coming from a long 2x3 a short 4 letter call is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I am happy with my 2X2 as a lowly Advanced. (only difference is I can't have a two-letter prefix beginning with A)

Once I made up my mind about what prefix I wanted, it went smoothly.

It took me the better part of a year to reflexively use the new call sign after 60 years as my old, original one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I was happy with my 2x2, other than I had a lot of trouble getting people to copy one of the phonetics in the suffix when trying to do VHF weak signal stuff.

Somewhat grudgingly I applied for a vanity 2x1 to rid myself of the troublesome phonetic, and ended up getting it. There were two I was looking at, unfortunately the one I would have preferred came up just a week after the first, so made it a pain. Should have applied for just that one I guess. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#26]
My "Vanity" callsign is the one I was issued 45 years ago.  The only difference being that the FCC did away with novice calls about 2 or 3 months after I got mine so I went from a WN4 to a WA4.  I've had it too long to change it now, it's part of who I am.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Does your vanity call sign renew when you renew your license or is it a separate application?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does your vanity call sign renew when you renew your license or is it a separate application?
View Quote
The clock starts over when the vanity call is issued.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I felt the same way about vanity calls as many do, but after a 15 year hiatus I decided "What the hell." and applied.

No one else wanted the one I picked, so it was straightforward and painless.

Only a few of the local guys I used to talk to are still around (or alive) so I didn't have to re-educate very many people.

In retrospect, after one year in February, I like it and I am glad I did it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I felt the same way about vanity calls as many do, but after a 15 year hiatus I decided "What the hell." and applied...Only a few of the local guys I used to talk to are still around (or alive) so I didn't have to re-educate very many people.
View Quote

When I got my ticket, I never transmitted until I got my vanity call sign. I did it that way just so people wouldn't have to adjust to my new one. The first call sign assigned to me was a new one that no one had ever used before -- and I never used it either.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wouldn't think one or two characters makes a difference but it feels like it does. I had a LL in my  original. That Lima Lima messed people up Baez
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My current call is 9 syllables.  Not much of a change but I like it better.  Original had both November and Juliette.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#33]
As soon as I was able I switched to 2x1. I didn't even try for a 1x2. All I wanted was for it to be short. Six syllables in English, eight phonetically. You can do better. I think the theoretical best would be four in English and five phonetically.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When I got my ticket, I never transmitted until I got my vanity call sign. I did it that way just so people wouldn't have to adjust to my new one. The first call sign assigned to me was a new one that no one had ever used before -- and I never used it either.
View Quote

Same here.  My original C/S didn't roll off the tongue, so to speak (no pun intended).

Planning to get my Extra ticket in June but won't apply for a new C/S.  The vanity I have now is my initials and it's a keeper!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#35]
The call sign I was issued when I received my Advanced didn't excite me.  One day on a local 2 mtr. net one of the gang mentioned that my new call sign was OK.  Duh!  It dawned on me that it was a great call sign for working DX . KC8OK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I did it again.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I could have gotten five syllables (in English) but chose a prefix which makes it seven. (WA1 instead of KA1)

WA1 calls were issued before KA1 calls, so I picked the "older" prefix, since I have been licensed so long.

A few letters are one syllable in the International Phonetic (English) Alphabet,  (G, M) most are two, and several are three. (I, J, N, R, S, U, )
View Quote

Too dumb to check if I have hit the "Edit" or the "Quote" button.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The call sign I was issued when I received my Advanced didn't excite me.  One day on a local 2 mtr. net one of the gang mentioned that my new call sign was OK.  Duh!  It dawned on me that it was a great call sign for working DX . KC8OK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oscar is the phonetic that I had a difficult time getting people to copy. Oscar, Ocean, Ontario, didn't matter.

Quoted:
A few letters are one syllable in the International Phonetic (English) Alphabet,  (G, M)

When I was looking at vanity calls, the two I was wanting ended in G or M. What a coincidence
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oscar is the phonetic that I had a difficult time getting people to copy. Oscar, Ocean, Ontario, didn't matter.

When I was looking at vanity calls, the two I was wanting ended in G or M. What a coincidence
View Quote
And the only two single digits which aren't one syllable (in English) are 7 and 0.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I really wanted a Tango Tango ending.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Planning to get my Extra ticket in June...
View Quote

There is a testing session in Bloomington in two days (Saturday).
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How long does it take to get a vanity callsign approved?  I applied on April 8?
View Quote

Mine was done in less than 8 hours electronically.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I really wanted a Tango Tango ending.
View Quote

Mine's close; "TTK".
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mine's close; "TTK".
View Quote
We have a guy in the area whose suffix is TTT, and I know a guy whose suffix is UUU.

We had an STU, but he moved away, and we had a WHO, but he is dead.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We have a guy in the area whose suffix is TTT, and I know a guy whose suffix is UUU.

We had an STU, but he moved away, and we had a WHO, but he is dead.
View Quote

A friend and I took our tests at the same time.  He got "TTN", I got "TTK".  At first I liked his call better but then another friend came up with the phonetics "Ten Thousand Kilowatts" for mine and I liked that better than "Ten Thousand Nerds".
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I kept my original 2 x 3 call. I just got used to it, my truck plates are ham plates, QSL cards, etc.

I played with the idea of a vanity call on and off, but didn't want to join the pile up for a short call.

At this point, I'll stay with my 2 x 3.

9 syllables isn't too bad. And I do have G and M mixed in there.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I kept my original 2 x 3 call. I just got used to it, my truck plates are ham plates, QSL cards, etc.

I played with the idea of a vanity call on and off, but didn't want to join the pile up for a short call.

At this point, I'll stay with my 2 x 3.

9 syllables isn't too bad. And I do have G and M mixed in there.

View Quote
My 2X2 is nine syllables phonetically, and seven just saying the letters and number.

My 1X3 was five saying letters and the number and eleven phonetically.

(I was licensed for 60 years before I decided to get a vanity call a year go)
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My 2X2 is nine syllables phonetically, and seven just saying the letters and number.

View Quote

Wow, 60 years!

You win, I'm just a pup at 39 years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I earned KV4X_ when I tested.   I'll keep it.  Perhaps if I become a big time CW guy, I'd think about changing it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wow, 60 years!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, 60 years!

I'm really a pup at 29 then
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top