Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
Needing a recommendation for a decent vacuum sealer that isn’t insanely expensive. Looking mainly 200 and under.

Uses: dry goods, meats for freezer, vacuum packing med supplies, and other fun activities.

Looking to use it at least 2-4 times a week with normal food shopping and small projects.

Seem to be leaning towards that Nesco deluxe I’ve seen around, but open to any recommendations. Not wanting to spend $400 on a weston though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Although it’s a bit north of your price range, don’t buy the Vacmaster VP-200 if you decide to get a chamber sealer. I’ve gone through two units now. There are issues with the solenoid controlled sealing bar raising too early in the cycle, which pinches the bag and prevents an adequate vacuum from being drawn on the contents. I’ve also found it difficult to get a proper seal with this unit. Sometimes the seal holds, sometimes it doesn’t. Even double sealing doesn’t give me peace of mind. The control panel flexes and feels shoddy, the power cable port jiggles, the bag clip jiggles, and lately my warranty replacement unit is failing to draw a sufficient vacuum. I have no faith in these machines. Although Vacmaster replaced my unit under warranty, my warranty is now expired and I’m left with a machine that I have no confidence in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Magic vac are good to go.

We did a huge amount of salmon and moose with it before it started giving us trouble.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a second one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUGK5QW/ref=twister_B093VH3G13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The first one lasted five years and was used a ton.....hundreds of feet of bags.

If the second one lasts that long I'll find it very hard to justify a more expensive unit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to Walmart. Buy the food saver. Cost 150 and it’s amazing
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Vacmaster Pro 350 that I am pretty happy with so far (bought in 2016), but haven't used it particularly heavily.  I wanted a "heavy duty" non commercial unit (wasn't ready or able to jump in to the big chamber vacs).  Their current model is the Pro 360.

I was given an older Vacmaster VP112 chamber vac that needed some sealer bar parts and a couple other things.  They were very helpful (dealer I was working with was vacuumsealersunlimited.com, and the importer/parts depot is ARYinc.com).  This was in 2017.  I never was able to get this thing to seal properly, as mentioned above by another owner.  I had high hopes, but no confidence in the unit.  I spent a couple hundred on parts, and back and forth a couple times to get the right parts, which didn't end up fixing it.

If I was doing it again today, I am not 100% sure about Vacmaster, but I would want a very similar unit to my 350 feature wise.  Vacuumsealersunlimited.com has been a very good vendor, but it looks like they are having availability issues like everyone else right now.

ETA:
Weston makes a unit comparable to the Vacmaster.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Vacmaster Pro 350 that I am pretty happy with so far (bought in 2016), but haven't used it particularly heavily.  I wanted a "heavy duty" non commercial unit (wasn't ready or able to jump in to the big chamber vacs).  Their current model is the Pro 360.

I was given an older Vacmaster VP112 chamber vac that needed some sealer bar parts and a couple other things.  They were very helpful (dealer I was working with was vacuumsealersunlimited.com, and the importer/parts depot is ARYinc.com).  This was in 2017.  I never was able to get this thing to seal properly, as mentioned above by another owner.  I had high hopes, but no confidence in the unit.  I spent a couple hundred on parts, and back and forth a couple times to get the right parts, which didn't end up fixing it.

If I was doing it again today, I am not 100% sure about Vacmaster, but I would want a very similar unit to my 350 feature wise.  Vacuumsealersunlimited.com has been a very good vendor, but it looks like they are having availability issues like everyone else right now.

ETA:
https://amazon.com/Weston-Pro-2300-Commercial-Stainless-65-0201/dp/B001GP81R2/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=vacmaster%2Bpro%2Bvacuum%2Bsealer&qid=1626123168&sr=8-8&th=1]Weston makes a unit comparable to the Vacmaster.[/color]
View Quote

I bought one of these in 2018 when I retired.  It works ok but since the sealing strip is oversized to provide a larger sealing area it also stays hot to long.  After sealing for a short time it tends to want to seal before the vacuum cycle is done due to the retained heat in the larger sealing strip.  You must slow down and allow it to cool a few second between each bag.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the weston. Get the 2100, look for a coupon online.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well just said the heck with it one day in Walmart and ended up with the food saver for $150. It’s the 3000 series. Had waaaaaay too much fun with it. Pretty sure I ran out of stuff to vacuum seal after about 2hrs if playing around with it haha.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for the Weston.
Vac master took a crap within a week. Returned it and bought a Weston.
Unless y’all want to spend big$$ on a chamber vac sealer this is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably a little late to the party, but I bought one of these.

Vacuum Sealer

It has paid for itself already in being able to use commercial (i.e. cheap) vacuum bags. Plus if anyone remembers the days the LDS church sold Mylar bags in the cheap, I have a big stack of those and it will seal those as well. Handy for packing things that are UV sensitive.

I'll never go back to the Food saver type vacuum sealers. Being able to vacuum seal stuff like soups and flat pack/freeze them is far too easy and convenient.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Vacuum Sealer

It has paid for itself already in being able to use commercial (i.e. cheap) vacuum bags. Plus if anyone remembers the days the LDS church sold Mylar bags in the cheap, I have a big stack of those and it will seal those as well. Handy for packing things that are UV sensitive.

I'll never go back to the Food saver type vacuum sealers. Being able to vacuum seal stuff like soups and flat pack/freeze them is far too easy and convenient.
View Quote

I like! I think I'm ordering this one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone try the Wevac?
Wevac
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Vacuum Sealer

View Quote

Got the avid armor uv20 and oh my god it’s amazing. Anything in 10 feet of me has been vacuum sealed. Game changer! Thanks arf15 folks! Getting the accessory for mason jars next
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
hingeAttachment Attached File

I found it helps to tap the hinge joint lightly to slide it down before hitting the vac & seal button to enable it to seal more quickly
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
They say to keep the Berkey water filters in a dry place well-vacuum sealed a new set of those too!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#16]
What brand 1 gallon and quart size vacuum seal bags are you using or are you just buying them by the roll?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a weston pro 2300 sealer and I've been using the bags from https://foodvacbags.com/

I have bought both premade bags and rolls and all have been good for me. I have had an occasional bags of rice loose the seal but I think that was more of a handling issue. Perhaps the mil thickness could be better (thicker) but I have been very happy so far.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#18]
(Cross posted from over in the Cooking Forum) I'm think I'm finally going to break down and buy a chamber vac sealer.  Here's a rundown of my 20 minutes worth of research thus far:

Vac Master VP 215 (recommended several times in the Cooking Forum thread, and loved by two of my buddies who also own) $1029 (Webstaurant)
-1/5 HP
-11" x 15" x 5" chamber
-1 year warranty

LEM Max Vac Pro $650 (Costco)
-1/4 HP
-13" x 16" x 3.25" chamber
-5 year warranty

Weston Pro 2500 $800
-14" x 12" x 4" chamber
-2 year warranty

On paper the LEM looks pretty good, other than it's not very deep.  The warranty and price appear to kill the Weston and Vac Master.

ETA, that 3.25" deep chamber would start getting a little snug with big deer loins and maybe with some pork rib cuts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(Cross posted from over in the Cooking Forum) I'm think I'm finally going to break down and buy a chamber vac sealer.  Here's a rundown of my 20 minutes worth of research thus far:

Vac Master VP 215 (recommended several times in the Cooking Forum thread, and loved by two of my buddies who also own) $1029 (Webstaurant)
-1/5 HP
-11" x 15" x 5" chamber
-1 year warranty

LEM Max Vac Pro $650 (Costco)
-1/4 HP
-13" x 16" x 3.25" chamber
-5 year warranty

Weston Pro 2500 $800
-14" x 12" x 4" chamber
-2 year warranty

On paper the LEM looks pretty good, other than it's not very deep.  The warranty and price appear to kill the Weston and Vac Master.

ETA, that 3.25" deep chamber would start getting a little snug with big deer loins and maybe with some pork rib cuts.
View Quote

FIL had a VacMaster 210 when I joined the family, did 10-20 deer a season and who knows how much halibut and salmon.  He’s got six kids, two nuts about hunting and fishing plus me.  That thing is still going 21 years later and it wasn’t new when I came into the picture.

We bought a 215 three years ago, used the 10% coupon from Cabelas when they role around every month. Had to replace a sealing bar wire (extras included with the manual). It gets used several times a month.

Also, not sure of the other brands but you can buy any individual part on the VacMaster if something breaks and the only computer is the timer. Everything else is pretty analog so even I can fiddle with it and not do too much irreparable harm
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Just to follow up, I purchased a VacMaster 215 from the local butcher supply store for $1K.  He said his next shipment would be $50 or so higher, and I had read similar comments about pricing online.  I was tempted by the VacPak-It VMC10OP, which a friend uses for their family butchering (like 5 or 6 hogs in a day type operation) which is $200 cheaper and very similar on paper, but ultimately I knew more folks that had the 215, and I have the local customer support should I need it.  The butcher supply store also had a VacMaster VP230 which has twice the HP and 2" wider sealing bar for $1,250 (IIRC).  If I had a bigger operation, I would have considered it, but for my small family I couldn't justify it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just to follow up, I purchased a VacMaster 215 from the local butcher supply store for $1K.  He said his next shipment would be $50 or so higher, and I had read similar comments about pricing online.  I was tempted by the VacPak-It VMC10OP, which a friend uses for their family butchering (like 5 or 6 hogs in a day type operation) which is $200 cheaper and very similar on paper, but ultimately I knew more folks that had the 215, and I have the local customer support should I need it.  The butcher supply store also had a VacMaster VP230 which has twice the HP and 2" wider sealing bar for $1,250 (IIRC).  If I had a bigger operation, I would have considered it, but for my small family I couldn't justify it.
View Quote

You will love it.  Now if you can keep enough half gallon jars on hand, that will be a challenge once Six figures out how easy that is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You will love it.  Now if you can keep enough half gallon jars on hand, that will be a challenge once Six figures out how easy that is.
View Quote

I think that went over my head... can you 'splain what you mean by that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think that went over my head... can you 'splain what you mean by that?
View Quote

Sealing things in jars that you don’t want to go stale is awesome.  Crackers etc. we also store most of our bulk goods in jars now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sealing things in jars that you don’t want to go stale is awesome.  Crackers etc. we also store most of our bulk goods in jars now.
View Quote

Huh.  Off to the interwebz...
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for the Weston
Had a vac master that lasted 8 yrs.
Bought new vacmaster that last 1 week.
Returned it and got the Weston.
Never looked back.
But once cry once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top