Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 6:46:47 AM EDT
Im thinking of getting a food saver.    Any recommendations or ones to stay away from?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a LEM 1088B, was okay. Got an Avid Armor, can't say enough good things about it.

ETA: Doesn't hurt they have a guy with a suppressor on their website. I just used the pulse function to seal meatballs without smushing them so I could sous-vide them right now

Amazon Product
  • HEAVY-DUTY VACUUM SEALER SYSTEM - Field and Home processing tested & approved! Tested quality for use in restaurants, industrial, by outdoors-men & women, professional & home processing and sous vide vaccume cooking. Avid Armor A100 features stainless steel construction, a 12" wide seal bar and built-in cooling fan
  • STARTER & MAINTENANCE KIT INCLUDED: A100 package includes vacuum accessory hose, 30 pre-cut vacuum seal bag samples - 10 each size Pint, Quart and Gallon. Maintenance kit includes replacement vacuum chamber gaskets, seal wire and teflon seal tape
  • USE PULSE FUNCTION TO PREVENT CRUSHING FOODS - Package your delicate food like breads, fruits and cheese not requiring a full tight vacuum seal

Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
if you are thinking about long term storage, you might consider using the canning jar adapter and seal staples in 1 qt large mouth pressure canning  jars... they store in their original shipping containers under a bed
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It is $10 cheaper on Avid Armor's site.  Not sure about free shipping though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok. Thanks for the recommendations.  I’ll take a look at it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Avid has an outlet section with the sealers for $169 with all accessories, 1 year warranty and free shipping

https://avidarmor.com/open-box-avid-armor-vacuum-sealer-model-a100-excellent-certified/

ETA - coupon A100 for $20 off the regular priced sealer, so $219 w/free delivery
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Avid has an outlet section with the sealers for $169 with all accessories, 1 year warranty and free shipping

https://avidarmor.com/open-box-avid-armor-vacuum-sealer-model-a100-excellent-certified/

ETA - coupon A100 for $20 off the regular priced sealer, so $219 w/free delivery
View Quote
Nice!   Thanks for the code!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Do these have issues with sealing when wet?  I had what was a higher end Food Saver years back, and with most stuff, the juices would prevent the bag from sealing.  It was free to me and I gave it away. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do these have issues with sealing when wet?  I had what was a higher end Food Saver years back, and with most stuff, the juices would prevent the bag from sealing.  It was free to me and I gave it away. 
View Quote
Reading through the manual (p.5) it says to use the pulse function for items with high liquid content:
"When packaging liquid rich items, you can use this function to prevent liquid from being drawn into the vacuum sealer"

I havent got mine in yet so I dont know how well it deals with wet conditions but I can post a follow up later.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not in my experience with the Avid. Sometimes I hold too long and it sucks up some liquid but the heat and press from the seal bar goes right through it every time. I use their bags too fwiw.

I've submerged for sous-vide almost everything I've sealed with it and never had anything leak into the water bath.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again.  Got one ordered this morning.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have one personally, as I have no need for one, but I always thought that Weston was the 'gold standard' for ARF?

Weston vacuum sealers...

Chris
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
For 'wet' foods, I usually put them in the bag, then put the unsealed bag in the freezer to solidify, and then vacuum seal it. Haven't had any problems that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top