Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 10:48:47 AM EDT
Does anybody have a cheap substitute for store bought vacuum sealer bags?

Thanls!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using these for a little while now and they've been doing good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L58H5S7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: Used for ground beef/chicken/turkey, chicken breasts, pork roast/chops. May want to go to a larger size if you're doing large bone in cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of vac sealer (chamber type or foodsaver type)?

The chamber vac bags are dirt cheap; I buy a 1000ct case for $30-40 and it last a LOOONNNGG time.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Wevac bags.  Good price, and they work really well in my Weston vacuum sealer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of vac sealer (chamber type or foodsaver type)?

The chamber vac bags are dirt cheap; I buy a 1000ct case for $30-40 and it last a LOOONNNGG time.  
View Quote
I actually didn't realize there was a difference. I currently have a FoodSaver unit, but it will no longer hold a vacuum until the bag gets sealed so I'm in the market for a better machine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I actually didn't realize there was a difference. I currently have a FoodSaver unit, but it will no longer hold a vacuum until the bag gets sealed so I'm in the market for a better machine.
View Quote

I can vouch for the Weston Pro-2300.  It's a simple machine - no bottle port or roll keeper.  But other than a couple of rebuild kits (seals, heat tape) it's been going strong for close to ten years.  I couldn't say that about the FoodSavers I had.

Price has gone way up on these.  I bought mine for <$400, and I see they're selling for >$800 now on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using vacmaster rolls from webrestaurantstore.com.  I order 3 or 4 50' rolls of 8" and a couple 50' rolls of 11.5" every 2 or 3 years.

I have an old food saver professional 2 vacuum sealer, still works fine.  Must be 20 years old.  Some of the foam seals are deteriorating and are no longer available.  I'll have to either make new seals or get a new unit one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
i have the weston pro 2100, bought direct from weston for $359. it's painted rather than stainless, look for a $50 discount coupon. i highly recommend it, simple and seals 1/4" wide strip and takes up to 15" wide rolls. webrestaurantstore for rolls. you can buy a large roll of peach paper while you're there; get the roll holder, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Buy a chamber sealer and don't look back. Better seals, more variety of things you can seal (I sealed a few quarts of soup last week) and uses industrial food storage bags. Dollar for dollar, the expense of the unit can be made up pretty quickly if you vacuum seal a lot like I do. I had figured about 400 bags was the break even point for me due to how much lower the cost of bags were compared to the food saver stuff.

It will also seal some of the mylar bags that the LDS used to sell as well. That is not something you can say of the other vacuum sealers.

Edit: You can get a chamber for the current price of some of those Weston units. At that point, it's a no brainier for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought a used FoodSaver that had been returned because it wouldn't hold a vacuum until sealed. And I also bought a box of replacement gaskets for 10 bucks - problem solved and it works like a champ. So total for my $150 sealer I paid $40.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top