Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 7:14:44 PM EDT
So I have an old VX170 that has seen little use, it still has the plastic film stuck to its screen.  It works when plugged in but not when the batteries are installed. My meter tells me that the batteries are charged but I’m guessing that there is a problem with the two contacts at the top of the battery case that depress when the battery is inserted. I don’t read continuity when putting my meter on them and engaging them.

I’m guessing there is a contact issue (but the batteries appear to charge when inserted so I may be wrong) but I can’t get the stupid radio apart to check! It’s a waterproof unit and I’ve removed all of the obvious screws on it but the case only partially separates. The top portion is holding on tight and I don’t want to force it. I can’t find any videos or directions online due to the age of the radio.

Do any of you have experience or information that could help me out?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Does this help?   https://silgro.com/Yaesu_VX-170_mods.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one!  So, there's a third battery contact at the bottom corner of the radio.  And, the bottom cell in the pack has part of it's wrapper removed to make contact there.  Check that first before you try to open it up.

But, for opening the radio... I've opened mine, wait... maybe I didn't have to... to do the mars/cap mod.  Might have been under a sticker on the back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does this help?   https://silgro.com/Yaesu_VX-170_mods.html
View Quote

Unfortunately not. I need to crack it all the way open and separate the two halves to access the guts. I found a still frame video of the process and it’s just not clear. I don’t want to screw up the case.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one!  So, there's a third battery contact at the bottom corner of the radio.  And, the bottom cell in the pack has part of it's wrapper removed to make contact there.  Check that first before you try to open it up.

But, for opening the radio... I've opened mine, wait... maybe I didn't have to... to do the mars/cap mod.  Might have been under a sticker on the back.
View Quote

You’re correct, the Mars /Cap mod is apparently super easy on this unit. I checked that third terminal as well and it seemed to make contact but I can’t be sure in any of them till I get the case opened!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unfortunately not. I need to crack it all the way open and separate the two halves to access the guts. I found a still frame video of the process and it’s just not clear. I don’t want to screw up the case.
View Quote

How about this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukaB5QMLsA
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How about this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukaB5QMLsA
View Quote

I watched that one but after watching it again, I missed a step with one of the knob washers. I’m going to give it a shot tonight!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, most of these HT's (almost all of them) have nuts that support the knobs to the case of the radio.  They make tools for them, but usually needle-nose pliers can be used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Operation save the Yaesu is complete! It was one of those small knob washers....

Needle nose worked like a charm.

If was the contacts, I bent them out a bit to function properly and it’s up and running!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Operation save the Yaesu is complete! It was one of those small knob washers....

Needle nose worked like a charm.

If was the contacts, I bent them out a bit to function proper and it’s up and running!
View Quote

Glad to hear it worked out!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish I'd seen this this earlier I might have been able to jump in.  Have a VX-170, solid radio, but not as solid in testing gravity as one might think.  My case had broken to the point it needed replacing.  Yes having fine needle nose pliers to remove the nuts from under the knobs is helpful.

Replacement cases from Yaesu are no longer available, however, at the time I did mine the VX-270 (replacement model) case was available and it fits directly in.  Only one of the silk-screen keys is mislabeled for an unsupported feature was the difference.

As for the rechargeable battery, if it isn't charging or working after charging it could be the pack is bad.  If a rechargeable cell gets over drained it can reverse polarity.  Yaesu has/had a battery pack you could put your own AA (NiMH worked) batteries in it, or run it empty and just run on external power.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top