Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2018 10:22:57 AM EDT
Gamma762 had spoke in my FT8 thread about the "VK172" USB GPS receiver.
Since their under $10 on e-bay I ordered a couple to play with.

They came in and I plugged one int my Windows PC and the drivers loaded automatically and it shows
up as a com port. To my pleasant surprise they use the typical GPS format and output a 9600 baud.

I loaded up VirtualGPSView and it recognized it and works good. I did need to put the
GPS receiver on an extension cable and place in in a window but that was to be expected.

Pretty impressive for under $10

Thanks to Gamma762 for letting us know about them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn - plug-and-play GPS for under 10 bucks...

Pair it with that Raspberry Pi that's been gathering dust in the closet for 2 years, and...
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It takes a bit more to setup on Linux but yes for under $10 is a great find
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Good times, good times!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I was surprised that even when I took it out of the window it was still seeing some sattilites.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It takes a bit more to setup on Linux but yes for under $10 is a great find
View Quote
IIRC it was plug and play on linux, the only thing I had to do was put in a couple of command line statements to tell the time service to use it to set the computer clock.

The only annoyance when using it for time sync is that it doesn't seem to get locked on as fast as the computer boots up, so I have to stop and restart the time sync a couple times after a delay. I'd contemplated building a USB extension cable with a separate 5V power supply so as to keep the receiver powered on all the time. If I had an external powered USB hub that would probably do that also.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IIRC it was plug and play on linux, the only thing I had to do was put in a couple of command line statements to tell the time service to use it to set the computer clock.

The only annoyance when using it for time sync is that it doesn't seem to get locked on as fast as the computer boots up, so I have to stop and restart the time sync a couple times after a delay. I'd contemplated building a USB extension cable with a separate 5V power supply so as to keep the receiver powered on all the time. If I had an external powered USB hub that would probably do that also.
View Quote
I installed it on one of my Raspberry pi yesterday and Yes it was a matter of

plugging it in
installing thegpsd gpsd-clients packages
and editing /etc/defaults/gpsd

Thank you again for showing these to us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top