Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2018 2:25:01 PM EDT
I've seen plenty of videos where people with great aim take down hogs with .17 HMR and .22lr. How advisable is this, given a sure shot?

Furthermore, if this is indeed at all advisable, how effective would an M&P15-22 be for this role?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why?
View Quote
I second the "why?"

If someone has issues with recoil at least go with 5.56, rimfire is just silly
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I second the "why?"

View Quote
and a wounded pissed off hog is nothing to toy with

i dont even know if its legal in many states
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Under perfect conditions I have killed plenty of hogs with a 22 behind the ear. But perfect conditions are not the norm and hogs tend to move there heads side to side while rooting making it a little difficult. If it was my only option I'd have no problem doing it, but waiting for the right shot is key. I'd choose to use my deer rifles over a 22 though, I'm not real crazy about tracking wounded hogs.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You owe every animal whose life you intend to take the quickest death possible and shooting pigs, even ones causing you thousands of dollars in damages, with a .22 when you have other options isn’t respectable.  I don’t even let the guys that trap for me shoot pigs in the traps with .22’s.  Sure, it’s possible to shut the lights off if done the right way but I don’t like any animals to suffer unnecessarily when better options are available.

Edit: good post above by 12 too
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen plenty of videos where people with great aim take down hogs with .17 HMR and .22lr. How advisable is this, given a sure shot?

Furthermore, if this is indeed at all advisable, how effective would an M&P15-22 be for this role?
View Quote
Why? Are you just trying to make then suffer longer before they die?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s possible but I’d not recommend it for the aforementioned reasons.

Use at least 5.56
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Troll thread?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve euthanized hogs with a .22lr.

I wouldn’t shoot a feral hog with a .22lr unless I was shooting from inside an old Bradley with the gun ports.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
TWO Headshots on Hogs with GAMO Air Rifle

I wouldn't hunt em with a 22 or an air rifle. But it can be done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
We used to raise hogs to slaughter. We would use a 22 short. Hold the gun inches from the head, slightly high right between the eyes. I wouldn’t advise it. We had one we had to chase around the pasture, because it was a tad off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
i grew up hunting them with a .22 magnum. Did the job quite well honestly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If your shooting supers like the velocitor or the new copper ones, behind the ear and done. You need to make sure you shooting distances where they should still have enough velocity, they become unstable leaving supersonic.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#14]
6.8SPCII is my choice

with an aimpoint

they tend to run around when the shit starts

bring enough gun

Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I second the "why?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: why?
I second the "why?"

Texas rimfire only WMAs and properties of 20 acres or less.  OP, take a look @ the Savage A17 & A22, in .17 HMR & .22 WMR.  Alexander Arms has a .17 HMR AR upper, Ray Vin has a .22 WMR upper, and Franklin has a .17 WSM upper.  The .17 HMR out of a rifle hits 2600 fps, the .17 WSM will hit 3000.

You can hit some respectable #s w/ .22 WMR out of a rifle:  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Texas rimfire only WMAs and properties of 20 acres or less.  OP, take a look @ the Savage A17 & A22, in .17 HMR & .22 WMR.  Alexander Arms has a .17 HMR AR upper, Ray Vin has a .22 WMR upper, and Franklin has a .17 WSM upper.  The .17 HMR out of a rifle hits 2600 fps, the .17 WSM will hit 3000.

You can hit some respectable #s w/ .22 WMR out of a rifle:  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: why?
I second the "why?"

But how much energy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I can’t think of a single round, put in the brain pan, inside 50 yds that won’t kill a pig .  Hide is at its thinnest surrounding the brain area.  On the off chance they’re looking directly at you, because of the angle involved, and bullet design of most rim fire rounds, there is a chance for enough deflection off the forehead, to make a shot that’s not instantly fatal.  If they’re facing you, plowing the ground, no worries.  As always, be patient , be quiet, get real close, and shoot them in the face ..... hope everyone has a good weekend killing pigs
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:. But how much energy?
View Quote
You didn't even bother to click the link, did you?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t think that’s a smart idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
If you have killed the sow and are cleaning up the piglets a 10-22 or good shotgun is hard to beat. I love all the post above but people never stop and think about the size differences between adults and juveniles. When your trapping and removing nuisance animals you need a diverse tool box.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]
A lot of people say 223 doesn't work but it actually does work very well. Having said that, I've killed a handful with a 22 rifle and pistol in a trap and it's not my first choice. In fact, I've killed many a coon in a trap with a 22 and even that's hard enough. If you can throw a lot of rounds quickly and accurately into the brain it's fine
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. But how much energy?
Was more focused on the .17 from the OP
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve killed quite a few with a suppressed 15/22. Yes, you need to get a little closer. Yes, you need to carefully pick your shots. A CCI SV in the ear does the trick quite nicely though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A lot of people say 223 doesn't work but it actually does work very well. Having said that, I've killed a handful with a 22 rifle and pistol in a trap and it's not my first choice. In fact, I've killed many a coon in a trap with a 22 and even that's hard enough. If you can throw a lot of rounds quickly and accurately into the brain it's fine
View Quote
If you have a hard time killing a coon in a trap with a .22, you’re doing something seriously wrong. I kill them with a pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Wouldn’t be my first choice but if I was in a stand I would try.

And some people ask why, here in Ga it’s only legal to hunt at night with rimfire on public lands. Private I think you can use whatever you want.

.22 LR SubSonic Vs. 400 lb Hog Hunt (Night Vision-Suppressed)

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#26]
It surprises me what people think hogs are made out of on this forum. I've killed truckloads of pigs with my 10/22 when I was a youth. Aim behind the ear if you can, but heart/lung shots broadside haven't been an issue either with mini mags or velocitors or whatever decent ammo you would want to use. I don't think I usually got an exit wound on the larger ones, but they aren't made of kevlar. Obviously something with a bit more horsepower is preferred, but rimfire certainly will work, especially a .17 hmr or similar behind the ear.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#27]
While some could argue there is no unethical way to kill a hog, and some could say gut shooting them kills them and y U don't have to move the body.... My step son shot a hog last year that probably had been gut shot earlier with a bow or 22.  Had a great fruit sized cist on its belly and was slowly starving to death.

So so at least try to kill them reasonably quickly,  starvation is a bit slow.

I have shit a hog square in the heat, only to see the base of the bullet sticking out past the skin afterwards.  Hog dropped for absolutely it 5 seconds the. Stood up and said wtf.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
South Carolina has the .22 rimfire or smaller rule for public land hunting after big game season closes on January 1. So two months using a .22 magnum for me too. Private land is not limited for hogs and coyotes any time of the year. I use a Henry .22 magnum on WMR during the small game seasons cause its the law. Too bad there is no .22 Winchester Supermag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While some could argue there is no unethical way to kill a hog, and some could say gut shooting them kills them and y U don't have to move the body.... My step son shot a hog last year that probably had been gut shot earlier with a bow or 22.  Had a great fruit sized cist on its belly and was slowly starving to death.

So so at least try to kill them reasonably quickly,  starvation is a bit slow.

I have shit a hog square in the heat, only to see the base of the bullet sticking out past the skin afterwards.  Hog dropped for absolutely it 5 seconds the. Stood up and said wtf.
View Quote
They get cist from fighting too. I’ve killed a few that have had bird shot all in the neck and shoulder area. One Lady down the road had a few get into her garden. She killed one with her 20 gauge but peppered the rest. I wouldn’t have thought she would harm anything but that garden was her breaking point and it was a pretty garden.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejT_DOIgO4

I wouldn't hunt em with a 22 or an air rifle. But it can be done.
View Quote
That fuckstick also says .50BMG will kill an animal just by passing close by because of the "pressure wave behind the bullet".

He's a moron who advocates whatever someone will pay him to advocate with no thought whatsoever given to ethics or responsible hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That fuckstick also says .50BMG will kill an animal just by passing close by because of the "pressure wave behind the bullet".
View Quote
What do you think killed that doe?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What do you think killed that doe?
View Quote
A through and through, he just avoided showing it on the youtube video so he could spew his retarded hillbilly urban legend bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Airguns take them fine at the same or less energy than a rimfire. But often the calibers start out a .25 and go up to .45. There is a threshold where significantly larger caliber will outperform significantly more energy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Some of y'all must be really careful about how you step on roaches and swat flies...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
22lr has long been the farm butchering round of choice for cows and hogs. Abet for hogs, sheep, and goats stringing them up and using a sharp knife is good too.  So it is not surprising that 22lr is also the norm for trapped hogs.  But these are ideal condition shots.  I have had failures doing this, but the animal is still trapped and a second try usually does the trick (first one hit a brown ridge and was still sticking out of the skin).  I have been told that a 17Hmr to the head is slightly more effective, and people do use them on pigs under the feeder-but the question remains why bother.  You are limiting yourself to a well placed headshot on a hog.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#36]
An M&P 15-22 is my go-to for dispatching them in a trap when you can for sure put it right between the eyes.  They go down no problem.

I used it once for actual hunting because the only suppressor I had at the time was for a rimfire, and it was in a back yard at night (totally legal, not in city limits, not dangerous, I just wanted to not bother the neighbors).  Made what I thought was a good shot from not far away at all with a 60 grain aguila.  The hog hit the dirt then got up and hauled ass.  I don't hunt them with a .22 any more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Not a good idea to have a pissed off animal that have sharp tusk and can move very fast for their weight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top