Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2019 9:09:53 PM EDT
So I've been looking into urban loadouts but all I find is people scrutinizing it saying to blend in with others. How ever, I want to expand on it and see if there's any practicality to go "tactical". As we've seen in some cases in the past where SHTF hit urban environments pretty hard to the point it's all out war. So being a "grey man" isn't always an option. Acknowledging the fact that there's a time and place to go hard, I want to ask about effectiveness of urban camo

Do any patterns have effectiveness in urban environments? Structures are pretty solid coloured blocks so I don't know how well digital patterns would stand out. With that said, how would the solid grey colours work in environments such as Wolf Grey? I know there's different types of urban environments. Wolf grey would go nicely with metropolitan areas where as brown greys would go well with older dingy areas.

Is Wolfy Grey just some Uniform for LEO or do you guys think it has some character to ensure someone doesn't stand out in an urban environment, somewhat like camo. Looking forward to hear responses. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You aren't going to find something that makes you look not like a person in an urban environment.

There are digital camos and colors that will make you harder to hit or tell what you are doing...

Real camo in the urban environment is going to be "so common nobody noticed" or "looks like a cop" or "looks like a bum" (and that one is risky).  Maybe a hard hat and clip board in a white van would work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This worked well on tanks, but it probably wouldn't be so good for uniforms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you're not looking for this answer, but grey man is the best way to go. The point of camouflage is to not be seen. The only way you can't be seen in an urban environment is to blend in with everyone else. See: Iraqi insurgents.

That being said, the best way to deal with SHTF in an urban area is to not be there. I realize some folks live there, but it's not at all ideal for the long haul. Get out as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Alternately, if you can find some gravel, you could go this route...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Live and learn.

I have never seen that before. (or I have forgotten)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know you're not looking for this answer, but grey man is the best way to go. The point of camouflage is to not be seen. The only way you can't be seen in an urban environment is to blend in with everyone else. See: Iraqi insurgents.

That being said, the best way to deal with SHTF in an urban area is to not be there. I realize some folks live there, but it's not at all ideal for the long haul. Get out as soon as you can.
View Quote
True. I'm in the suburbs planning on moving to the country. I was just interested seeing all these greys popping up in the industry and was curious if it would be actually effective and not just some uniform. Grey man concept can be difficult for some. Because some of us have natural traits that make us stand out. Like my height.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

True. I'm in the suburbs planning on moving to the country. I was just interested seeing all these greys popping up in the industry and was curious if it would be actually effective and not just some uniform. Grey man concept can be difficult for some. Because some of us have natural traits that make us stand out. Like my height.
View Quote
Your average tall person is nothing more than a tall average person. Take your average tall guy, and deck him out with tactical whatever, and he's no longer average--especially since he's easier to see.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The best camouflage to me is however you normally dress and act, and what is customary for your normal environment.

Don't deck out a 4x4 suburban and if everyone is driving Toyota Corolla.

If you dress, drive or act differently than you or everyone around you does, then you will stand out.

Prepare your vehicle and person the best you can with how your surroundings look, how you normally do and to fit in with everyone else.  Come up with creative ways to hide things.  If you change in a SHTF scenario, you will be seen.

If everyone carries a black laptop back pack to work, then get a black backpack and put your essentials in that.  Don't get an elaborate camouflage backpack that says I am a hunter or prepper is not camouflage in a sea of black.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
i think op is asking for any camo patterns that can blend into concrete, not for daily concealment but in a hypothetical scenario where rule of law is gone and he is in the city. i think the issue with grey man is that it doesnt work well if there is no other people just walking around. i would assume the situation hes talking about is in a situation where just walking outside warrants other people to try to kill you for your stuff
edit: i would think atacs ix would work well
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Define loadout
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I like that Marine Corps test version, but I think it's a point of diminishing returns.  Most acknowledge camouflage is more influenced by movement and contrast.  While some patterns might work pretty well, many rely on shadows, static or very slow movement, etc. Those can be achieved by drab solid colors and shades.  The challenge will be transitioning from one environment/situation to another.  If you have to maneuver through a populated area, you will attract more attention with some cool, urban camo.  On the flip side, if things go kinetic, camo is a relatively minor defense.  Movement behind cover, culverts, buildings, shadows, low illumination, etc. can still be very effective with drab, solid colors that would do well in either situation.

So yeah, there are some effective patterns, but I think for the price and limited application, there are far more versatile choices.  Solid charcoal, gray, or darker browns would likely work just fine.

There are some interesting patterns though:

https://strikehold.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/bulldog-mirage-pics-175-077.jpg?w=600&h=400

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I like number 2 - what is that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do any patterns have effectiveness in urban environments?
View Quote
No.  Homies know their AO.  They've been honing this skill their whole life.  Their livelihood depends on it.  They don't miss much.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Urban?  Think outside the box.

Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#17]
In an urban environment, there are construction workers.  Emulate what they wear, minus the hi-viz stuff.

Grays, browns, greens; blue jeans stand out.  Most people tend to ignore the laborers amongst them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Dress like everyone else, then grab trash and blankets if you need to disappear in a way that doesn't look like a human. (urban ghille suit)
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like number 2 - what is that?
View Quote
I think it's A-TACS, they have some pretty decent patterns that blend well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
A-TACS is fantastic in general.  I much prefer it to multicam.  Blasphemy, I know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Go put these on.
Woodland
Od
Multibarf
ATac
Etcetcetc

Now..go to a construction or demo site.
Get sweaty,wet,roll around. Rinse repeat several times.

Youll have your perfect pattern
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i think op is asking for any camo patterns that can blend into concrete, not for daily concealment but in a hypothetical scenario where rule of law is gone and he is in the city. i think the issue with grey man is that it doesnt work well if there is no other people just walking around. i would assume the situation hes talking about is in a situation where just walking outside warrants other people to try to kill you for your stuff
View Quote
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. But it seems to just *WHOOSH over people's heads lol. Thanks for the response.

Also, could I get your thoughts on what makes you think atacs ix is good for the job?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Something like this would be mine. An actual camo pattern would make you stick out in a urban environment more than it would hide you, in my opinion. Can fit all sorts of stuff underneath the right jacket to conceal your goodies.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. But it seems to just *WHOOSH over people's heads lol. Thanks for the response.

Also, could I get your thoughts on what makes you think atacs ix is good for the job?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what the OP was talking about. All of the cities I've ever lived in and spent considerable time in contain almost every visible color on the spectrum. On one block, you might one building that is "natural" concrete, one that has a mural painted on it, one that has vegetation around it, and another that is mostly glass--all next to each other. It doesn't matter what pattern you use, you're not going to blend in to very much in an urban environment.

OP, to address what you're looking for, based on the "if you go outside you're going to get shot" scenario; go with as dark of a blue as you can find, only go out at night, and stick to the shadows.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#26]
It is amazing how effective just plain Grey is, in both urban and wooded environments.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#27]
dress shirt or nice polo tucked into dress pants. Black boots that look like dress shoes. confused look. SUV with no visible shit out on it.

now if you happen to have an IWB gun and holster, a folding or small SBR in that untactical backpack, and that SUV is actually a land cruiser prado with supplies/gear/rifles/etc in it, nobody will be any the wiser.

honestly my plan (and I am in one of the top 3 most urban places in America) is to look like another scared, lost office drone. That is not the case, but better to roll with the crowd until it's best not to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go put these on.
Woodland
Od
Multibarf
ATac
Etcetcetc

View Quote
Yip, shtf and you wear it long enough, itll all turn same grade of “dirt”
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I've been looking into urban loadouts but all I find is people scrutinizing it saying to blend in with others. How ever, I want to expand on it and see if there's any practicality to go "tactical". As we've seen in some cases in the past where SHTF hit urban environments pretty hard to the point it's all out war. So being a "grey man" isn't always an option. Acknowledging the fact that there's a time and place to go hard, I want to ask about effectiveness of urban camo

Do any patterns have effectiveness in urban environments? Structures are pretty solid coloured blocks so I don't know how well digital patterns would stand out. With that said, how would the solid grey colours work in environments such as Wolf Grey? I know there's different types of urban environments. Wolf grey would go nicely with metropolitan areas where as brown greys would go well with older dingy areas.

Is Wolfy Grey just some Uniform for LEO or do you guys think it has some character to ensure someone doesn't stand out in an urban environment, somewhat like camo. Looking forward to hear responses. Thanks!
View Quote
Examples of all out war in a civilized country requiring a full loadout and concrete jungle camo?

Buy a pair of carhartt pants and a plain drab/dull shirt, or... put on a "Don't hassle me, I voted for Hillary" shirt.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Go put these on.
Woodland
Od
Multibarf
ATac
Etcetcetc

View Quote
We all know you're a closet-multicam lover...quit denying it

Yeah, I think the OP is delineating from events leading up to and resulting in a urban SHTF scenario, and one were it's more post-SHTF.  Take a look at some of the bombed and burned out cities and I could see a decent camo pattern helping to minimize your outline if in observation mode, moving from point A to point B where chaos is in charge or you're in an E&E situation and people are not traveling around as normal.  Yes, somewhat fanciful thinking, but that's really where a camouflage uniform would play a role.  I still think it matters more on your movement and taking advantage of concealed routes and shadows...and wearing some drab clothing, but for such a scenario, camouflage wouldn't hurt; if detected with or without, the idea is that you're still a target.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
if possible, don't forget to consider the type of street lighting you may encounter... the older high pressure sodium orange lights will reflect different from mercury vapor blue-green and different from high intensity white from LEDs

for casual semi tropical short sleeve a somewhat subdued "Hawaiian" of dark green, brown, and dark red is pretty efficient at night... a lot of experienced people wore something similar when down town in the Philippines and Thailand in the early 70s... a lot of locals wore tan slacks, and baseball type hats with local logo...

the big give away for Americans were real Levi pants, non native shoes, and glasses( especially the USGI contraceptive glasses)
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Stuff that looks different will GET you noticed, not make you less visible.

I'd stay FAR away from "Urban" cammo...

In an urban area, grays, tans, seem to blend in well.

Old Jeans (I favor carpenters jeans for the extra room to move plus the side pockets) Plus a long sleeve Gray T- are a low visibility combo that works well and you could wear to the store without people thinking you are unusual (getting noticed)
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think the OP is delineating from events leading up to and resulting in a urban SHTF scenario, and one were it's more post-SHTF.  Take a look at some of the bombed and burned out cities and I could see a decent camo pattern helping to minimize your outline if in observation mode, moving from point A to point B where chaos is in charge or you're in an E&E situation and people are not traveling around as normal.  Yes, somewhat fanciful thinking, but that's really where a camouflage uniform would play a role.  I still think it matters more on your movement and taking advantage of concealed routes and shadows...and wearing some drab clothing, but for such a scenario, camouflage wouldn't hurt; if detected with or without, the idea is that you're still a target.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go put these on.
Woodland
Od
Multibarf
ATac
Etcetcetc

ROCK6
Hows this for blowing your mind...

And yes. Movement, cover, dont wear shoot me red. Honestly a dark pant,lighter or layered top, drab hat. Think rogue one starwars rebels at the end, or any other post apoc movie. A mix match of drabs and grime from use.
I shall name it " urban dark dirt " or UDDS for short

@ROCK6

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer tri poloski

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Track suit is best suit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#36]
If your looking for camoflauge in an urban environment, your not going to find anything effective due to the overwhelming differences in buildings and terrain.

From a swat standpoint, many teams have traditionally work black. This is terrible because the absence of color attracts the eye.

My opinion is for a tactical urban uniform your best bet is picking a color that doesn't attract the eye or pop as much ie grey or OD green. Both  stand out less than other colors or even patterns in urban areas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It is amazing how effective just plain Grey is, in both urban and wooded environments.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@protus

Love it!

Quoted:
If your looking for camoflauge in an urban environment, your not going to find anything effective due to the overwhelming differences in buildings and terrain.

From a swat standpoint, many teams have traditionally work black. This is terrible because the absence of color attracts the eye.
Ironically, even A-TACS says their LE camo, which is a darker shade of black/gray isn't meant for concealment and more for shock value.  Outside of wearing your black ninja spandex outfit in the dark shadows, black isn't a very good at any camouflage, urban or rural.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#39]
If you really want urban camo, hide in plain sight by wearing tan or blue overalls or layering lots of clothes you purchased at Goodwill and carrying all your gear in garbage bags loaded in a stolen shopping cart.  Muss up your hair, get a 1000 yard stare and argue with yourself with wild gestures.  Dirt, empty wine bottles and odor are plusses, and you need large cardboard signs with REPENT and bible verses.  The cardboard also provides insulation, padding and shelter if you have to overnight on the street, and with duct tape you can make a nice camouflaged cardboard carbine scabbard for something like an SKS.  If you don't want to borrow a shopping cart, a small wagon or wheeled garbage can would also work as well.

other homeless shopping cart images
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top