Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2020 10:34:52 AM EDT
Last month I cleaned the small condo stand out. Put my food plots in for today's opening of gun season.

Got up two hours before daylight. Walked a mile to the stand and got comfortable waiting for light.

I was reading Arf.com and just happened to shine some light on the ceiling of the stand.

There were about 100 or so yellow jackets clustered together.

I knew if I fired my rifle in that stand I was going to get it bad.

Climbed back down in the dark and moved to a near by ladder stand.

After about thirty minutes, a nice six point walked about 35 yards from me. I thought about taking it but passed. Going back to camp and getting a spray bottle with hot soapy water. Might as well check all the stands.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Last month I cleaned the small condo stand out. Put my food plots in for today's opening of gun season.

Got up two hours before daylight. Walked a mile to the stand and got comfortable waiting for light.

I was reading Arf.com and just happened to shine some light on the ceiling of the stand.

There were about 100 or so yellow jackets clustered together.

I knew if I fired my rifle in that stand I was going to get it bad.

Climbed back down in the dark and moved to a near by ladder stand.

After about thirty minutes, a nice six point walked about 35 yards from me. I thought about taking it but passed. Going back to camp and getting a spray bottle with hot soapy water. Might as well check all the stands.
View Quote

That suck about bees.

Part in red is jus sad,  doesn't anyone go in the woods to enjoy nature and get away from technology?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve read somewhere that guys in tx hang cattle ear tags (insecticide) in their stands to keep wasps and shit out.  

Attachment Attached File

Haven’t tried it in my blind, but likely will next year.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That suck about bees.

Part in red is jus sad,  doesn't anyone go in the woods to enjoy nature and get away from technology?
View Quote

I hear you. Just killing some time before first light. Battery died on my headlamp. Had to use my phone for flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ve read somewhere that guys in tx hang cattle ear tags (insecticide) in their stands to keep wasps and shit out.  

Haven’t tried it in my blind, but likely will next year.  

View Quote

Sweet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a Dillon Manufacturing fiberglass stand that is more less air tight. Never had a single bug inside (until I open the windows).

Of course they cost a fortune, but I consider it well worth it.

Sitting in it right now waiting for big boy to come out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Went back to my camp and got dawn dish soap water and a spray bottle. By the time I got back two of my condos had swarms of red wasp outside. Got them taken care of and had to get the yellow jackets that had taken residence inside.

Soap works just slower than regular spray. Doesn't leave a residue or bad smell for the deer.

Got two more to do. I expect them to be full as well
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
they need to be killed with fire.

but I understand the other side of the argument
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've read somewhere that guys in tx hang cattle ear tags (insecticide) in their stands to keep wasps and shit out.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/673591AB-E903-49B7-8007-7383ADC91151_png-1694455.JPG

Haven't tried it in my blind, but likely will next year.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/304A1942-FCE7-439C-B218-F7A54F13998A_jpe-1694457.JPG
View Quote
They work on better sealed blinds. Demon WP from tsc works great too if sprayed right before season.

you might need something like this for a more open blind. I use one in my popup. Just move it outside while hunting as you're not supposed to breathe the fumes more than a couple hours.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Coulda' been worse.  

"...He pulled his head back into the 4-by-4-foot blind and spotted a rattle attached to a snake that was only inches away, tucked into the slats of a pallet that served as the blind's flooring.

"I literally jumped into the chair because there was no way to get away. When I was in that chair I realized I had nowhere to go," he said.

The snake started striking at the shaky chair, he said. So he aimed at the creature through his deer rifle's scope and missed. He then put the gun close to the snake's head and fired.

He was left with a dead 4.5-foot  snake and ears that rang most of the day. He also now has plans to update the blind."

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They work on better sealed blinds. Demon WP from tsc works great too if sprayed right before season.

you might need something like this for a more open blind. I use one in my popup. Just move it outside while hunting as you're not supposed to breathe the fumes more than a couple hours.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86713/3D6F6122-0909-40DC-BA59-5897D63A3C5D_jpe-1695820.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read somewhere that guys in tx hang cattle ear tags (insecticide) in their stands to keep wasps and shit out.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/673591AB-E903-49B7-8007-7383ADC91151_png-1694455.JPG

Haven't tried it in my blind, but likely will next year.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/304A1942-FCE7-439C-B218-F7A54F13998A_jpe-1694457.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86713/3D6F6122-0909-40DC-BA59-5897D63A3C5D_jpe-1695820.JPG

Good feedback!  Yeah my blind is basically open air.  I go out a week or two before season and blast all the nests with bug spray now.  Last year, I missed a nest that was right by where my knees are when sitting in the blind.  I noticed it while hunting.  Luckily, it was cold enough out that the wasps were barely moving.  I knocked them down and commenced to stomping the shit out of them.  Very crunchy.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The stand has a door and windows that shut fairly tight. Not sure how they are getting in.

I might have to try some weather stripping around the door.

The red wasp are building nest in the frame. I can use foam to block that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Yellow jacket stand paid off. Got him at first light.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/230503/KIMG0299_JPG-1697275.JPG

Yellow jacket stand paid off. Got him at first light.
View Quote

Awesome buck for any state, but especially Florida!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
This was a southern Alabama buck. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice Buck!
I couldn't locate mine I hit on Saturday morning.
Nearly identical to that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice Buck!
I couldn't locate mine I hit on Saturday morning.
Nearly identical to that.
View Quote

It's very upsetting when that happens
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess Im one of the few left up here in PA that still doesnt mind a 14 hr sit on the ground or in a standard ladder stand. I was spoiled hunting my boss's farm, he spent the money and set him and I up with box blinds that would rival some people's house. Sure was nice when It got windy but it makes you soft. This saturday is PA opener, 5 AM ill be climbing in a nice, cold ladder stand
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess being in N MN, that is another thing not to worry about in my stands..
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess Im one of the few left up here in PA that still doesnt mind a 14 hr sit on the ground or in a standard ladder stand. I was spoiled hunting my boss's farm, he spent the money and set him and I up with box blinds that would rival some people's house. Sure was nice when It got windy but it makes you soft. This saturday is PA opener, 5 AM ill be climbing in a nice, cold ladder stand
View Quote

Driving through PA along the interstate, I was struck by the enormous numbers of elevated box blinds visible from the highway in rural areas. Seems like your boss isn't alone when it comes to deer hunting in comfort up there lol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I just carry my climbing stand in about a mile, climb up and sit in the cold
Ain’t been too bad this year, but anything under 20° is miserable
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just carry my climbing stand in about a mile, climb up and sit in the cold
Ain’t been too bad this year, but anything under 20° is miserable
View Quote

I like a good climber. It's the wind on those cold mornings that gets me. Heck it was just frosty this morning and I hunted in rubber boots. My feet froze.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like a good climber. It's the wind on those cold mornings that gets me. Heck it was just frosty this morning and I hunted in rubber boots. My feet froze.
View Quote

Rubber boots will do that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want to feel better, I'm sweating my ass off right now in 80* and 100% humidity. Would wear flip flops to the stand but it's muddy and lots of
copperheads.

Wish a doe would hurry up and walk out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Very nice, OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top