Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2020 7:56:08 PM EDT
Good evening.

I've decided to get back into fishing after not having done it for 20 years or so. My 3yr old son has been asking to go.

We had to go walmart earlier today to get some other nonsense and I took a stroll down the fishing aisles. Grabbed a cheap Plano tackle box made in America.

Looking at most everything else though, it seems it's all made in China or other far east locales. Even a lot of the of the Eagle Claw stuff had "assembled in china" on it.

What are some good American manufacturers of fishing gear? I literally only have a tacklebox at this point. Any help is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mimikamimi] [#1]
Cry once.

It's been rumored that often times a fish will know they've been kraemered and will simply give up floating aimlessly to the surface. Fielding the sticks of doom in Japan brought similar results with fish often times slitting their own belly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Claw has a factory in Denver.  Not sure what they make there, but I think hooks, mostly.  Plenty of fly fishing gear is made in the US.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:00:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stasher1] [#3]
St Croix still makes rods in the US, as does Falcon...last time I checked, anyway. Apparently Falcon has move their rod production overseas. I think Lamiglas is still building rods in the US.

US-made reels are much harder to find. It seems that most makers have been sourcing their lower-end reels from China and their "better" reels from Korea for many years now. I don't even know if you can find a Japanese-made reel anymore without spending a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stasher1:
St Croix still makes rods in the US, as does Falcon...last time I checked, anyway. Apparently Falcon has move their rod production overseas. I think Lamiglas is still building rods in the US.

US-made reels are much harder to find. It seems that most makers have been sourcing their lower-end reels from China and their "better" reels from Korea for many years now. I don't even know if you can find a Japanese-made reel anymore without spending a few hundred bucks.
View Quote

Only the top end St Croix rods.
I picked up a couple of their Triumph rods on close out, made in Mexico.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stasher1] [#5]
Originally Posted By mnhornet:

Only the top end St Croix rods.
I picked up a couple of their Triumph rods on close out, made in Mexico.
View Quote

The original Triumph rods were actually made in China. They moved production of their cheaper rods to Mexico many years ago, about the time they released the Mojo line.

Iirc, their US-made rods start with the Avid line.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Kraemer......................Hand built in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Find a custom rodbuilder in your area.  They will be assembled in the US, but honestly most graphite and blanks come from overseas.  As far as reels
/tackle good luck. Any target species will help narrow it down more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Star rods still has lines made in the US.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Chadsc:
Find a custom rodbuilder in your area.  They will be assembled in the US, but honestly most graphite and blanks come from overseas.  As far as reels
/tackle good luck. Any target species will help narrow it down more.
View Quote

@Chadsc

I didn't have any particular species in mind. I figure crappie and bass. Probably catfish too...because.. they're tasty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
For casting and spinning rods, Cashion and ALX are made here and are great rods. Still use some foreign components in them, but I'm not aware of any company that doesn't. Kind of out of luck on reels though and honestly for the tier 1 stuff, "made in Japan" is what you seek. For artificial baits, there are several companies like Zoom, Deep Creek Lures, Norman, War Eagle, and others. Stren, Spiderwire, and Power Pro are some lines made in the US. Not a fan of Stren or Spiderwire, but I use Power Pro on several setups. That's all that's coming to mind for line at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to settle for "Not China" for my fishing gear mostly.

Unfortunately I bought a lot of it early on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Jewell Bait Co

Favorite Fishing rods will be moving back here from china manufactureing
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

View Quote

Sorry man.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Ended up going with a Kraemer X-11 Pro Series Spinning Rod.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I think a lot of Shimano reels are made in Malaysia. At least it ain't china.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote
Malaysia or Japan..
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProjectMayhem] [#17]
Originally Posted By Stasher1:

View Quote

I must say, this thread is timely. I’m looking for US-made or at least non-Chinesium fishing gear myself.

I’m lusting for a St. Croix Walleye Tournament Series rod, but they’re around $250 I might go with a Loomis instead, with Lamiglas in third place. Someone else mentioned Kramer rods, I’ll be sure to give them a look.

For a reel, I’m considering a Daiwa Revros 3000 or a Pfleuger President.

edited because I can’t spell after a few beers
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Seigler makes some nice reels.

https://www.seigler.fish/

Avet Reels are also a US Manufacturer.

https://charkbait.com/brand/avet/
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

View Quote

Yep, like many items.   USA made isn't necessarily a requirement.   Not china made is becoming more and more important.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote

Son put a new Shimano Sedona on a rod last night.
Package is here in kitchen table and I can't find country of origin on it anywhere.

Feels like a decent reel for the money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I stick with Shimano, Abu, Penn, or Daiwa.
Spinning reels:
Shimano Stradic
Penn Battle 2 or 3 or Daiwa various models.
All of the above  baitcasters.

I’ve got reels that are 10 and 20 years old, still smooth as butter. And they get fished in saltwater frequently.

I like 2000 series spinning reels unless I’m going for bigger fish. 1000 for panfish.
Braid on the spinners.

Most rods matched to the reel in the 70-100 dollar range. Stay away from ugly sticks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
Ended up going with a Kraemer X-11 Pro Series Spinning Rod.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.
View Quote

Perfect timing! I just recently found his website! And I live in WI too so I’ll be checking them out for sure!
His website says his blanks are from a USA manufacturer too so that’s great!

I’m my searching I also found “old 18” rods. Made in TX. They good too. But I like the custom idea better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mimikamimi:
Cry once.

It's been rumored that often times a fish will know they've been kraemered and will simply give up floating aimlessly to the surface. Fielding the sticks of doom in Japan brought similar results with fish often times slitting their own belly.
View Quote

I just bought a 7’2” ML XF and I absolutely love it. Have a Diawa Tatula 20 on it. Smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#24]
I just picked up a Penn Battle III 6000 series reel. Seems very nicely made and very smooth.  I don't see 'made in USA' or made in anywhere else on it or the box anywhere.

Loomis is owned by shimano now I believe.  Gary Loomis is building blanks for North Fork Composites.  Sound like pretty nice rods, but I've also heard some less than good reviews on their actual delivery times after you order a blank or a finished rod.

Fly fishing reels I've been buying Galvin and a couple Ross Reels.  Both made in US.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Late to the party but here goes:

Rods: Gary Loomis, higher end St Croix, Crowder for offshore, some star rods. Fly Rods - Scott, Winston, Sage, Lamiglas.

Reels: Avet, Accurate and I think Lindgren-Pittman. Shimano Stella, Tiagra, Tallica and Twin Powers are built in Japan. Lamson fly reels are US manufactured.

As far as tackle, most of the soft baits like Z-Man, saltwater assassin, Zoom are US-made. All Yo-Zuri tackle is Japan made. Most if not all fluorocarbon is Japan-made. Plano boxes are US made. A lot of the bluewater trolling rigs are unfortunately Chinese. All pliers (including Van Staal) and other tools are made in PRC unfortunately.

I try to run mostly Japanese or US made fishing gear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#26]
SEiGLER Fishing Reels are made in the US. They were originally made on the Northern Neck of Virginia, but moved SE to VA Beach.

I have the SG model and friends have the LG and OS models. They're solid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I just picked up a Penn Battle III 6000 series reel. Seems very nicely made and very smooth.  I don't see 'made in USA' or made in anywhere else on it or the box anywhere.

Loomis is owned by shimano now I believe.  Gary Loomis is building blanks for North Fork Composites.  Sound like pretty nice rods, but I've also heard some less than good reviews on their actual delivery times after you order a blank or a finished rod.

Fly fishing reels I've been buying Galvin and a couple Ross Reels.  Both made in US.
View Quote

Considering the cost of the Battle, probably China.
Although some Penn reels are manufactured in the US (with some imported parts).
However, I beleive all or most Penn reels are assembled and inspected in the US.

I bought a 4500 Spinfisher Live Liner. I like it a lot
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#28]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

View Quote

Penn overseas reels are made in china.  I purchased the Fierce 6000 for surf fishing and crab snaring because I didn't need to spend more for a setup that I don't use that often. Particularly in California because the environmental nazis that run DFG have a habit of delaying the opening and closing early for the Dungeness season.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#29]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
I stick with Shimano, Abu, Penn, or Daiwa.
Spinning reels:
Shimano Stradic
Penn Battle 2 or 3 or Daiwa various models.
All of the above  baitcasters.

I’ve got reels that are 10 and 20 years old, still smooth as butter. And they get fished in saltwater frequently.

I like 2000 series spinning reels unless I’m going for bigger fish. 1000 for panfish.
Braid on the spinners.

Most rods matched to the reel in the 70-100 dollar range. Stay away from ugly sticks.
View Quote

Abu, Penn, and Daiwa are mostly Chinese. Lews too. My Tatula  and Revo are made in China. Crazy for $150 and up reels to be made there
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 10:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#30]
Just got a a new Penn Fathom 2 for slow pitch jigging. 300 dollar reel. Friggin made in china

Was hoping 300 would get me Away from Chyna but nope
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Just got a a new Penn Fathom 2 for slow pitch jigging. 300 dollar reel. Friggin made in china

Was hoping 300 would get me Away from Chyna but nope
View Quote

Oof. Yeah, you really have to do your research with all this stuff. It's irritating.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 6:26:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#32]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

Oof. Yeah, you really have to do your research with all this stuff. It's irritating.
View Quote

I mean this is a nice reel. But next time am dropping another 2 bones and getting an Accurate or an Avet.

Seems 500 and up gets US made shit. Well for a 2 speed reel anyway.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I know its not a reel, but to add to this thread.  

I own a small tackle company that builds spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs etc for freshwater.  I have started using victory hooks in alot of my stuff now.  They have done really well, and are dang good hooks so far.  Their V-loc hook is a beast- and made in the US (they do use belgian steel).  Mustad is pretty much overseas now, a good bit of eagle claw, and gamakatsu (obviously-even if they are amazing hooks).  Victory is still somewhat small compared to the names above, but they are US made. So keep an eye out for tackle made with their hooks too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Its pretty easy to buy made in the USA fishing gear if you are using fly fishing equipment.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm right there with you! Every product I can I only buy the made in USA. Its getting harder and harder!

I'm trying to put together fishing equipment only made in usa but looks like it might have to be fly fishing gear, which I wouldn't mind learning.

The only made in usa fishing stuff I have are the nets and fish yoyo's. And some lines I have found and some lures etc.

Hopefully all the shit going on right now will start a fire under everyones ass and we will start producing our own damn things again!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#36]
Was looking into a trolling set up for blackfin tuna and other species and wanted American made.  Really liking the Avet my buddy has but I don't troll enough to justify spending 600 bucks yet.

Then I remembered the old maroon colored Penn Senators my dad and grandpa used to pull in everything imaginable.

Came across some at the Flea Market and picked the best one I saw. Stripped it down and scrubbed every part. Put in the newer drag system and cleaner her up.

100 percent American made. In it for 60 bucks. These are like the AKs of reels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top