Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2021 7:14:05 PM EDT
First time turkey hunter, got about a month to get ready.

Good friend said to get Winchester Long Beard #4. My chamber is 3".

I can't find anything in this load.

Anyone know where I can get it, or know of any similar loads in stock?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Any thing from a #4 to #8 will work fine
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your state’s hunting requirements for turkey loads.  Number 4 shot and smaller for TN, your state may have different rules.  I use #5 shot myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I short Federal Premium NWTF loads. 20 ga. 1 5/16 oz, No 5 copperplated. Flite Control wads, modified choke. Out of a 12.75” M2 SBS.

I do my part a Federal does theirs.

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Gobbler Place of Kill 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Beards by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything in stock anywhere?

I've only been able to find Rio and Hevi Shot
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Federal TSS... end of story
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Get an index card and cut it in half long was. Place the halfs taped to cardboard or paper at 30,35,40 yards. Buy a verity of shells in sizes 4-6, different lengths, makes, and models. Shoot your paper tabs. Choose the shell that has the best pattern density at the best ranges on your index card tabs. You'll find out the shell/choke combo your gun likes. Just because someones gun likes a certain shell doesn't mean yours will.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer denser patterns and so I shoot 3 inch mag 7.5s when I can find them. I recently ordered some Nitro Co 9.5 TSS and will see how they work out. That said, I wouldn’t be wary of using high brass 2 3/4 inch shells provided you keep your shots inside of 40 yards.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
In my gun, Winchester Longbeard shoots good, way better than Remington.

I haven’t tried the Federal T$$. Plus, they require a choke that’s rated for the harder shot.

Either way, ready to get your teeth rattled.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got two boxes of the 12ga 3” #9 in stock. Just came today so I haven’t shot them yet but it’s all I could find in stock.

BOSS shotshells Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top