Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2021 2:16:31 PM EDT
I am seeing more a more guys use a micro red dot on their turkey rigs. Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good, economical option. Most of the ones I've found online seem specific to pistols and AR. What MOA size should I be looking at? I'm a Vortex guy and see they have a bunch of micro red dots. Anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex Venom is a perfectly fine option. You could also move down a tier and do something like a Burris FF3.  Or you could just spend a bit more and get a Holosun.  People knock them...until they own them.

I'd say anything in the 1-3 MOA range would be sufficient. You don't need to pick the dot up super quick or anything, so no need to go huge.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize this, but the vortex 1x prism sight is a circle dot. I always thought a (non eotech) circle dot would make for a cool shotgun sight. So I might have to get one of these prisms for my do everything gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Vortex Venom is a perfectly fine option. You could also move down a tier and do something like a Burris FF3.  Or you could just spend a bit more and get a Holosun.  People knock them...until they own them.

I'd say anything in the 1-3 MOA range would be sufficient. You don't need to pick the dot up super quick or anything, so no need to go huge.

View Quote

They make a 6 MOA in the Venom, which I thought would be more ideal for a turkey hunt. Maybe I just don't know enough about choosing MOA for red dots. When would a higher MOA be useful?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phinfanfrommd:

They make a 6 MOA in the Venom, which I thought would be more ideal for a turkey hunt. Maybe I just don't know enough about choosing MOA for red dots. When would a higher MOA be useful?
View Quote

Well ultimately it's preference.

But when high speed is needed above accuracy, a bigger dot usually wins as your eyes can pick it up faster. An example is shooting steel/steel challenge. A 5 MOA dot (or larger) is great for steel.

Hunting? I'd go small. 1-3MOA, nothing bigger. Granted if it's a shotgun, precision isn't the same as say a varmint rifle. So if you want a bigger dot, go for it. I'm just speaking generalizations.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDiggler] [#5]
Burris FastFire, I have the 3. I think the 4 is out. Older versions you had to remove the sight to replace the battery.

Guaranteed forever.

Go with the 3MOA. If you want a "bigger" dot, just turn up the brightness.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got one of the new primary arms slx 1x prisms for my turkey gun. Since it has an etched reticle you never have to worry about batteries and the battery last for years anyway, they also have an ARD coming for it which is good to hide that glare on the front lense, this past season I used a primary arms 30mm classic red dot with some camo mesh under the scope cap to hit that reflection.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Was able to snap a couple photos today, they really don’t do it justice but I’m going to share anyway.

This was a turkey about 50-60 yards away and the window screen hurts the view some.

This was a turkey about 100 yards out
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
One more. These are my first attempts at taking a photo through an optic and it is a challenge. This turkey was about 15 yards but through the house window.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Gents, thank you for the input. I ended up getting a Vortex at a great price. Now I had a question about how to mount it. The only listing I found the specifically mentions my model (V3 Field Sport), I was wondering if they made shorter lengths since the red dot is so small and wont need the full length of the rail. Anyone got any other options for mounting a micro?

https://www.egwguns.com/remington-1100-1187-v3-versa-max-picatinny-rail-0-moa
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If you got a Vortex Venom you could use a Burris Speedbead mount. Instead of a rail on top of your receiver, it sandwiches a mounting plate between your stock and receiver. I have one on a Benelli M2. It was a PITA to mount, but has been solid and works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top