Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2018 10:29:30 AM EDT
Okay, a while back there was a "prepper vehicle" thread running in which the subject discussed was what sort of 4WD vehicle would make for the best, or at least suitable, 'practical,' 'useful' vehicle.

Couldn't find that thread to ask this question of the resident Truck Experts, but a lot of the responders talked about various trucks, including Toyota Tacomas.

Turns out, a good buddy of mine, an older gent, is going to be trading-in his 2012 for a new one. He put 170K miles on it, but most of those (like 80%+) were highway/turnpike miles, as he travelled around to see grandkids. Plus he drives like a granny. No accidents, never off-roaded it. His is the Limited 4WD model with the 5.7 V8. Can't recall if it's the 'Club' or 'Crew' model, but it looks to be in very good condition. He's changed the oil religiously every 4K miles, or whatever the manual calls for.

I'm just looking for a 'beater' truck that's still reliable and that I won't have to dump a lot cash into for major surgery  - other than for brakes, tires, and routine oil and filters.

With that mileage level, I'm figuring the Toyota dealer isn't going to give him much in trade-value on a 2018 or 2019 Tacoma. Since I know the guy and how he's maintained the truck, I'm considering making him a cash offer.

What do the Tacoma experts here think?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean a Tundra?    I don't believe Tacomas have ever had an 8 from the factory.

Resale value on Tacomas is insane, (at least down here) so don't be surprised if he can get much more on a trade than you expect.....  I would let him know you are interested and ask for the chance to match or beat the trade offer by a little in cash.

Tundras down here do not seem to carry the used premium like the smaller truck (at least down here), but are still a good truck, and may hold value better than a domestic.

Knowing the history of the truck is a good thing.... worth a premium, IMHO....   good luck!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Do it, 170k is still young.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an 07 Tundra that was very reliable.  I traded into a 2014.  Be aware, sometime around there Toyota changed the tranny.  These were nowhere near as good.  Many have been replaced.  Mine had only 93,000 miles of mostly freeway on it when it failed.  The newest trucks have a newer tranny that seems to be much better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem you have is that Toyota's have a big resale value as others have stated BUT also the dealer is going to give him a big number on it to get him to sign on the line.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you mean a Tundra?    I don't believe Tacomas have ever had an 8 from the factory.

Resale value on Tacomas is insane, (at least down here) so don't be surprised if he can get much more on a trade than you expect.....  I would let him know you are interested and ask for the chance to match or beat the trade offer by a little in cash.

Tundras down here do not seem to carry the used premium like the smaller truck (at least down here), but are still a good truck, and may hold value better than a domestic.

Knowing the history of the truck is a good thing.... worth a premium, IMHO....   good luck!
View Quote
First off, thanks for all the comments, guys! The knowledge base here is huge which is a great benefit to everyone.

Need to correct a couple of things: it's a 2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab. 5.7 V8, 4WD. His has the "short bed." 4ft-5ft? ... After about a year, he added one of those 'Cab cover" units over the bed. Mileage = 170K.

Not sure what a dealer would give him in trade-in value, versus a cash price from me?

What do the Tundra experts think?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve always wondered if hi way miles are better than city driving ???
Hi way miles 70-80 mph ++
City 30-50
See the motor reving higher rpm’s on hi way
Compared to city
Religious oil changes are a must for hi way miles
An does the oil break down faster in hi reving motors at freeway speeds

Not sure a vehicle with ( hi way miles )
Is such a bargain
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
City 30-50
Compared to city

Is such a bargain
View Quote
Highway miles are much easier on vehicles, transmission is not going through gears, motor is at one steady rpm and vehicles are set up to run at the optimum rpm for the motor in high gear at highway speeds.

There is no comparison.

OP I would find the high and low book value and go offer him a fair price between the two with cash in hand.
If he takes it, great, if not you tried your best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Highway miles are much easier on vehicles, transmission is not going through gears, motor is at one steady rpm and vehicles are set up to run at the optimum rpm for the motor in high gear at highway speeds.

There is no comparison.

OP I would find the high and low book value and go offer him a fair price between the two with cash in hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
City 30-50
Compared to city

Is such a bargain

There is no comparison.

Thanks. Will do that.

Yeah, I always though highway/turnpike driving, even if it put on a lot of miles, was still better on the engine than daily short, 'stop-n-go' driving around the city. No?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always wondered if hi way miles are better than city driving ???
City 30-50
See the motor reving higher rpm's on hi way
Compared to city

Is such a bargain
View Quote
Wow... Its not really about the motor, more about driveline. Stop and go driving and shitty side roads are much worse for a vehicle than sailing down a smooth road at 70. Most vehicles don't rev very high at highway speeds, and are revved a lot more during stop and go driving. Even if it was about engine wear, the engine in a vehicle  that has averaged 70 mph has only run for half as long as a vehicle that has averaged 35 mph over the same miles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I totaled my tundra years ago and still miss that truck.

They are a great balance of size & performance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Traded in, Feb.'18, my 2007 Tacoma Sport Extra-cab 4WD w/ premium-price ARE shell, good rubber, impeccable maintenance documentation, no accidents/damage, w/255K miles, manual transmission, for +/- $5.5K ---for what the price check may be worth....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top