Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2020 11:18:32 PM EDT
Got one of the cheap chinese hot spots. I was setting it up over wifi. I switched it from dstar repeater back to the mmvmm setting. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The green light lights up but it's not doing anything and the screen stays dark. The hot spot is not coming on.

Any suggestions? Corrupted the sd card maybe?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a new not so cheap one? Seriously... i hate anything cheap with a passion. I just dont have the patience.

Id power cycle like you did but leave everything off for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Ethernet Adapter Compatible With Raspberry Pi Zero

You may need to purchase one of these to reliably connect your hotspot to your computer.
I have had to use mine on more than one occasion to fix my hotspot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got one of the cheap chinese hot spots. I was setting it up over wifi. I switched it from dstar repeater back to the mmvmm setting. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The green light lights up but it's not doing anything and the screen stays dark. The hot spot is not coming on.

Any suggestions? Corrupted the sd card maybe?
View Quote

Is it on the network?
If not, there are two easy options: you can get an HDMI adapter so you can plug in a monitor (and an OTG USB adapter so you can plug in a keyboard) and see for yourself what's failing, or re-image the SD card and start over that way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I got it working. I think I shut it down while it was applying settings and it corrupted the card. Re-imaged he card and got it all set up today.

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same thing happen to mine. Now I have a good backup going forward...
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, get it all set up the way you want it, then take an image the SD card as a backup.
This applies to any Pi project.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea, get it all set up the way you want it, then take an image the SD card as a backup.
This applies to any Pi project.
View Quote

Should you set up a  sd card for each mode or just turn on all the modes that you want to use the hot spot with?  I have d-star. I have registered for dmr but don't have a dmr radio yet so I only activated the d-star on the hot spot. Was thinking it was better to set up two seperate cards for each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top