Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2021 10:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Pickle]
I live an in area with no hogs, but travel a couple times a year and hunt hogs.   In a year I will be retiring and plan to move to an area where I can hunt hogs year round.   As such I am starting to get gear that I want, and am planning on getting a thermal scope.   I also want a tripod to shoot off of, but have no experience in this area.  

My weapon of choice is a 308 AR platform that is suppressed, so not a lightweight gun.   My stalks are usually around 50 to 100 yards, but sometimes turns into quite a walk.   I want a sturdy tripod that won't be a pain to carry for short distance.   I want to be able to use different platforms on the tripod, as I recently got a 300 BO and want to experiment with it.

What do you suggest for a tripod and what type of attachment do you suggest and why.   Please school me!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In for the knowledge drop...
I have been in the same boat but not sure where to look.
DeadEye predator stands seems good but Id love to hear some opinions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#2]
They are not tactical fancy, but I have been using a Primos Trigger Stick (HERE) for several years now.  I use it all over for all types of hunting including long mileage hikes elk hunting in Colorado.  If you look around you can catch them on sale for right around $125 bucks.

I went this way because of the quick adjustability for any terrain, angle, etc.  And it can be used sitting as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Primos Trigger stick gen 2 tripod.  Quick to deploy, legs independently adjust for hight so you can be level on any type ground, top has a rubber cradle to rest rifle in and it swivels 360 deg

Been using it for years and it’s great.   I need to lube the telescoping legs periodically because I use it in all kinds of weather and they sometimes don’t want to slide easily.

I actually have two, because some how on a night hunt I lost the rubber cradle on one.  Went back in the daylight to look for it, couldn’t find it.   Then, almost a year to the day later, found it in the middle of a field, still perfect condition, screwed it back on and now have a spare!  Lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ccreyeder:
I use a Primos Trigger stick gen 2 tripod.  Quick to deploy, legs independently adjust for hight so you can be level on any type ground, top has a rubber cradle to rest rifle in and it swivels 360 deg

Been using it for years and it’s great.   I need to lube the telescoping legs periodically because I use it in all kinds of weather and they sometimes don’t want to slide easily.

I actually have two, because some how on a night hunt I lost the rubber cradle on one.  Went back in the daylight to look for it, couldn’t find it.   Then, almost a year to the day later, found it in the middle of a field, still perfect condition, screwed it back on and now have a spare!  Lol
View Quote

The Gen2 has big improvements.  Primos as a brand actually takes customer feedback and uses it to improve products.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with a lightweight option as I sometimes walk a bit. It's pretty cheap and doesn't clamp down on the rifle, but works well for me out to 300+ when needed. Very lightweight and packable.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020679480?pid=191402
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vatopa] [#6]
I use a regular old photo tripod.  

I took some pvc boards that you get at home depot and made a 3 sided trough to fit on top of the tripod.

I will upload a pic in a bit.

Works well with a fluid head on the tripod.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By The-Pickle:
I live an in area with no hogs, but travel a couple times a year and hunt hogs.   In a year I will be retiring and plan to move to an area where I can hunt hogs year round.   As such I am starting to get gear that I want, and am planning on getting a thermal scope.   I also want a tripod to shoot off of, but have no experience in this area.  

My weapon of choice is a 308 AR platform that is suppressed, so not a lightweight gun.   My stalks are usually around 50 to 100 yards, but sometimes turns into quite a walk.   I want a sturdy tripod that won't be a pain to carry for short distance.   I want to be able to use different platforms on the tripod, as I recently got a 300 BO and want to experiment with it.

What do you suggest for a tripod and what type of attachment do you suggest and why.   Please school me!
View Quote

I have a Stoney Point. But I only use the monopod any more just because it actually works really good as a walking stick. Plus I can reposition much quieter than trying to fight with three legs. For the distance you stated I would get a Primos monopod and call it good. Or the one with the red foam grips I think it’s a Muddy but I’m not sure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#9]
Night Goggles offers a reasonably priced tri-pod. Not too heavy, fits easily in a back pack, and sturdy enough for long range shots.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy with my Bog Death-grip, carbon fiber $220.00. Holds my 11+lb w/ thermal & suppressor Sig 716 with no problem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Primos sale

Looks like a good price. Says gen 3
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Primos trigger stick are cheapest/lightest/easiest to use. Hold up very well

Camera tripods are all of the opposite, but with a reaper grip, pig saddle, ect, are the most stable. They also hold up very well. Look at camera supply websites, usually cheaper there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Tri pod for when you want to sit and set up or get a super light weight one you don’t mind taking on and off as you move. More stable and zero hands operation.

Primos trigger stick for mobility, short set up and stay time.

As said above it is silly easy to setup on uneven ground, but you’ll have to support your rifle the entire time. Also has a pretty tall minimal height on the tall model.

Wish I would have got the trigger stick at version 1. Gen 3 is smoother and quieter so worth the wait.

Get the tripod of you are going to shoot over 300 and need the stabilization and have the time to set up.

Trigger stick if you are going to be moving often and setting up shorter times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:01:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#14]
Just buy a Really Right Stuff Ascend tripod and call it a day

I'm a fan of a tripod tall enough that I can use when standing with enough adjustment to use when sitting as well.  I currently run a Shadow Tech aluminum tripod.  Works very well but it's on the heavy side.  Will be upgrading to carbon fiber at some point.

Shadow Tech, Night Goggles, Predator Tactics all offer good tripods at reasonable prices.

I'd recommend a decent ball head that accepts Arca Swiss mounts and then put an Arca Swiss plate on your gun.  I prefer this setup to something like a Hog Saddle that clamps the gun.

I'm currently running this ball head.  Worked out great so far and prefer it over the small diameter heads that come on a lot of the shooting tripods

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at the Triclawps.com  for a clamp on head that you can use on a camera tripod or the Kopfjager tripod ( a little heavy) you can clamp your rifle on it and it will hold it without falling over.  I have both and found that the Primos and camera tripods are flimsy and will tip over.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#16]
As others have said, the Primos Trigger sticks (tall tripod or bipod Jim Shockey, Gen 3) are fast, lightweight, easy to deploy, and work well at allowing you to support the gun on something sturdy in a moments notice.  that said, they wont grip the gun and hold it in a fixed position, so you still have to do your part to steady your shot, but they help quite a bit vs free standing.  there are other heavier, bulkier options that will grab your gun and hold it steady for you, but im not familiar with those.  I spot and stalk hogs and coyotes at night and carry the primos trigger sticks with me all night with a rifle strapped to my chest and do a good bit of walking and they work really well for me in those conditions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top