Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2021 2:21:33 AM EDT
Some time back I posted about catching some guys, three of them, who were trespassing on some Ranch property near midnight that I have exclusive access to and for which I've been authorized as an agent to act on their behalf concerning Trespass incidents. I was actually night hunting for coyote myself when I spotted them. I let them go with a warning and for some time after I heard it was talked about in the local hunting circles. Catching hogs with dogs is a big thing here.

Well, today we got in two Trijicon Hunter MK III's for use on the SWAT Team. I plan on putting one on a Rem 700 LTR and the other will serve as a hand held scanner and back up to a rifle.

Tonight I was sitting on top of a bridge overpass checking out the Thermals and darned if I didn't see two guys and several dogs about 500-600 yards out.

I was on duty so I called for help and went after the pair. As I got close I could see they had no long guns so I identified myself and ordered them to get on the ground... they complied.

I handcuffed one and the other jumped up and took off... I got his car, his driver's license, his fanny pack, his dog tracking collar, $560 in cash, and I know who he is. The other guy was polite, respectful, and acknowledged he shouldn't be on the property.

Well, I've had enough of catch and release so the one was arrested and the other has Probable Cause Affidavits out for his arrest for Trespass, Obstruction, and Probation Violation, yep, he is on probation.

I also came across a freshly killed piglet that the dogs obviously caught and killed.

I don't understand why folks think it's ok to run amuck on other people's property and do as they please. I simply could not imagine having the nerve to knowingly trespass upon someone else's land and hunt or even do the catch and release thing.

I suppose they thought because it's the middle of the week and raining no one would be out there... wrong... I'm out there A LOT at all times of the day and night, in good or bad weather. Yesterday I put up a stand, feeder, and camera dodging the rain.

I suppose some will tar and feather me like the last post, oh well. BUT... while I don't own the land I sure as heck treat it as if were my own, thus I will eagerly engage any and all trespassers I happen to come across.

A few months ago about 7am some jack hand kicked the door open to one of the property owners homes while he was at home, he is in his late 70's and he called me scared to death. The guy started taking guns out of a gun cabinet so I called dispatch and got dressed and headed that way. The driveway into the property is a long one and fortunately arriving units caught the guy as he was headed out. He was arrested and the firearms recovered.

I put a lot of energy in developing the hunting out there and certainly don't want folks disrupting the wildlife by trespassing and turning loose multiple dogs.

I guess I'm going to have to start moving game cameras around and reissue warnings to the locals to find other places to trespass. These two are local, I'm sure the word will get out.

I'm soaking wet from the incident but the owners were extremely appreciative.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You're doing God's work, OP. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Trespassers piss me off just about as much as thieves.  Good job OP!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:31:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ih784] [#3]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Some time back I posted about catching some guys, three of them, who were trespassing on some Ranch property near midnight that I have exclusive access to and for which I've been authorized as an agent to act on their behalf concerning Trespass incidents. I was actually night hunting for coyote myself when I spotted them. I let them go with a warning and for some time after I heard it was talked about in the local hunting circles. Catching hogs with dogs is a big thing here.

Well, today we got in two Trijicon Hunter MK III's for use on the SWAT Team. I plan on putting one on a Rem 700 LTR and the other will serve as a hand held scanner and back up to a rifle.

Tonight I was sitting on top of a bridge overpass checking out the Thermals and darned if I didn't see two guys and several dogs about 500-600 yards out.

I was on duty so I called for help and went after the pair. As I got close I could see they had no long guns so I identified myself and ordered them to get on the ground... they complied.

I handcuffed one and the other jumped up and took off... I got his car, his driver's license, his fanny pack, his dog tracking collar, $560 in cash, and I know who he is. The other guy was polite, respectful, and acknowledged he shouldn't be on the property.

Well, I've had enough of catch and release so the one was arrested and the other has Probable Cause Affidavits out for his arrest for Trespass, Obstruction, and Probation Violation, yep, he is on probation.

I also came across a freshly killed piglet that the dogs obviously caught and killed.

I don't understand why folks think it's ok to run amuck on other people's property and do as they please. I simply could not imagine having the nerve to knowingly trespass upon someone else's land and hunt or even do the catch and release thing.

I suppose they thought because it's the middle of the week and raining no one would be out there... wrong... I'm out there A LOT at all times of the day and night, in good or bad weather. Yesterday I put up a stand, feeder, and camera dodging the rain.

I suppose some will tar and feather me like the last post, oh well. BUT... while I don't own the land I sure as heck treat it as if were my own, thus I will eagerly engage any and all trespassers I happen to come across.

A few months ago about 7am some jack hand kicked the door open to one of the property owners homes while he was at home, he is in his late 70's and he called me scared to death. The guy started taking guns out of a gun cabinet so I called dispatch and got dressed and headed that way. The driveway into the property is a long one and fortunately arriving units caught the guy as he was headed out. He was arrested and the firearms recovered.

I put a lot of energy in developing the hunting out there and certainly don't want folks disrupting the wildlife by trespassing and turning loose multiple dogs.

I guess I'm going to have to start moving game cameras around and reissue warnings to the locals to find other places to trespass. These two are local, I'm sure the word will get out.

I'm soaking wet from the incident but the owners were extremely appreciative.
View Quote

WELL DONE. All landowners get here is bullshit from the county commissioners. A landowner is one vote. People who run dogs outnumber the landowners. With a couple thousand in tracking collars, trucks with cab high dog boxes and a “fuck you” attitude... these people are horrible to deal with. You’re subject to be cussed out on your own property and have your property vandalized (personal vehicle, equipment, livestock). The dogs are used as a ploy for their owners to trespass because “dogs can’t read”. This is total bullshit because you hear them on the radio talking about what they’re doing and where they’re hunting. If people run dogs in a club or have permission to hunt that’s fine. However, if you run your dogs on someone else’s property without permission, you’re trespassing and a criminal.  I wish more LEOs were like the OP. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole well done thing.

Good for you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
So the first guy should have ran anyway?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
There are hunters, there are "hunters" and there are fucking assholes. The last 2 terms are synonymous.

Trespassing in Texas where there is limited public land is a massive problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck thieves, poachers, and all others who have no respect for other's property.

You did nothing wrong, OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
When people that watch the MSM see cities allowing shop lifting is it any surprise they would trespass.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow! Nice job. We have been dealing with trespassers and poachers for years on our property. Great work. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I almost bought hunting property in Va.  I discussion with the neighbors, the locals run dogs from the highway and feel they have the “right” to run dogs over the county including the prospect property.  Long tradition by a few bad apples with commissioners support.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Did you take a few pics of the one schmuck handcuffed and on the ground? Post pics of that in places where the future shitbirds might see it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Florida has more than their share of trespassers but other states have them too. I do a lot of hunting at night and have been stopped and checked out many times, when coming out to the areas I park. The FWC, Sheriff deputies or the agents for the owner who's land is hunted see our lights and wait for us. I don't mind it a bit.  

Keep at it OP, dolts will criticize out of ignorance, the rest of us applaud your efforts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  So you're OK with using the .gov Trijicon & .gov time & money to patrol your private hunting lease?

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Well done OP.  Hopefully a judge will come down hard on them and that will be talked about in town as well.  I despise trespassers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 45acpWeightWatchers:
View Quote

Yeah here the judge might have your ass if they are his kin folk... They do this shit because they have an empty hole in their soul that does not allow them to respect themselves let alone anybody else...
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#16]
How come you were out there on duty?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ih784:

WELL DONE. All landowners get here is bullshit from the county commissioners. A landowner is one vote. People who run dogs outnumber the landowners. With a couple thousand in tracking collars, trucks with cab high dog boxes and a “fuck you” attitude... these people are horrible to deal with. You’re subject to be cussed out on your own property and have your property vandalized (personal vehicle, equipment, livestock). The dogs are used as a ploy for their owners to trespass because “dogs can’t read”. This is total bullshit because you hear them on the radio talking about what they’re doing and where they’re hunting. If people run dogs in a club or have permission to hunt that’s fine. However, if you run your dogs on someone else’s property without permission, you’re trespassing and a criminal.  I wish more LEOs were like the OP. Thank you!
View Quote

I have Coon hunters here that call me when their dogs get near my land and one Hog hunter. They stop and get me or let me know exactly where they will be. Or terminate the hunt through a shock collar. Just the different caliber of people. Now they are upset because the hog hunters that release pigs have done enough damage that the local Timber company is cutting up their large tracts for sale. Hundred of thousands of acres of land that was open just take care of it type attitude. All ruined because Good Men would not police their own ranks...
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ih784:

View Quote

Stray dogs get shot to protect livestock...just saying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:01:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rigian] [#19]
No idea why anyone would flame you for this.

Well done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By hardcase:
Wow.  So you're OK with using the .gov Trijicon & .gov time & money to patrol your private hunting lease?

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP. In our county there is a similar problem. I'm for chopping their feet off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it would be sort of a dick move, and probably my last choice course of action, but in my state dogs can be shot on your property, or public ground, if they are harassing livestock or game animals. (Utah Code 18-1-3)

Maybe add that notice to your “No Trespassing” signs?

“Dogs harassing animals will be shot on sight”

It’s a dick move, because it’s not the dog’s fault in your situation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
I almost bought hunting property in Va.  I discussion with the neighbors, the locals run dogs from the highway and feel they have the “right” to run dogs over the county including the prospect property.  Long tradition by a few bad apples with commissioners support.
View Quote

It's a huge problem here.  The main reason is that the "right" of dog hunters to go wherever the fuck they want without permission is enshrined in the Code of Virginia.  It is also a felony to shoot a trespassing hunting dog that is running game off your land.  The fucking dog "hunters" take full advantage.

My wife and I have given up on firearm season entirely.  Damned dogs have ruined it.

If you need 15 dogs and $5k in associated gear to put venison in your freezer, you ain't no hunter.

No surprise to me that OP's trespasser problem involves dog hunters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Often, agencies will encourage their employees to take certain gear home and use it in order to familiarize themselves with it more fully.  Some years ago, I went to a specialty photography course and one of their SOPs was for students to take the camera systems home, on vacation, and to things like family sporting events in order to become better at using it in real time/on moving objects.  I never did as I already had better cameras, but the goal made sense.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#27]
@jbirdions
@hardcase

Fair questions...

If you read what I posted I clearly stated we just got those sights in... I picked them up at 5pm. They are assigned to me... I can use them off duty, on duty, doesn't matter. I can even use my issued weapons and my agency assigned vehicle for personal use when off duty, per agency policy, that's nothing unique to our agency.

I have my own Trijicon MK III and sometimes take it with me (off the rifle) and do the same thing, I just happen to have two new units I wanted to try out.

Ever see cops sitting on the side of the road in construction areas... they are off duty getting paid... using ".gov" cars and gear to put money in their own pocket.

Like already mentioned, we encourage the guys to use the NV, NV Scopes, Lasers, IR lights, and now Thermals, as much as possible so they can become familiar with the gear and proficient.

I was driving around scanning different fields, I wasn't "patrolling my hunt lease", or just the areas I have access to. It's not a lease, they just kicked the hunt club out years ago and gave me access to the property. But I have "patrolled the property" on duty before and will continue to because they have asked me to, especially after the Burglary I mentioned. There are other property owners who I do the same for, and yes, I hunt their field too.

So let me be clear, It was raining so I would drive some and stop when it wasn't raining... on this occasion I just happened to be on top of  bridge that overlooks part of the property I have access to. I wasn't even there 60 seconds when I spotted them. Had I not spotted them I would have moved to another field within five minutes.

So I guess the short answer is simple... because I'm allowed to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By utahman:
I think it would be sort of a dick move, and probably my last choice course of action, but in my state dogs can be shot on your property, or public ground, if they are harassing livestock or game animals. (Utah Code 18-1-3)

View Quote

#utahman

I always give bluff commands to dog owners, we encounter dogs a lot as you can imagine.

I say bluff commands because it would tale A LOT for me to shoot a dog. I'm a dog lover at heart. I've been attacked a couple times at work and have never had to kill one. I'll take a few bites and whatnot before I'd kill a dog. Of course situation dictates... I've not had what I consider an overly dangerous dog attack me yet, I think I'll know it when I see it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
There are hunters, there are "hunters" and there are fucking assholes. The last 2 terms are synonymous.

Trespassing in Texas where there is limited public land is a massive problem.
View Quote

It’s a problem here also.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:16:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#30]
Delete
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 45acpWeightWatchers:
View Quote

This.  Good on ya OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Training at no cost to the taxpayer.  I have assisted in such endeavors with portable and fixed breath test equipment.

Don't be so shallow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#33]

#utahman

I always give bluff commands to dog owners, we encounter dogs a lot as you can imagine.

I say bluff commands because it would tale A LOT for me to shoot a dog. I'm a dog lover at heart. I've been attacked a couple times at work and have never had to kill one. I'll take a few bites and whatnot before I'd kill a dog. Of course situation dictates... I've not had what I consider an overly dangerous dog attack me yet, I think I'll know it when I see it.
View Quote
Have you had your rabies vaccine?  If not, I see that in your future.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

New equipment testing under non stressful conditions.   Get over it.   25+ years in that line of work and my night vision was on my dime and I used it at work too.  

You bitch about wear and tear if he buys three boxes of ball ammo to shoot his duty gun on his day off?  Same thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#35]

#utahman

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By utahman:

#utahman

In my (considerable) experience most dogs will leave quickly and not return if you shoot a few rounds in the dirt in front of them, unlike javelina , try keeping them out of your yard. Sometimes dogs will tail you from a distance but rarely come back in.

If that doesn't work and they are belligerent, they get shot. My kids (or me, or livestock) aren't going to endure a "few bites", period.
Of course your work situation is different.

I had the rabies series way back when it was 38 shots

I have no tolerance for trespassers/poachers and my neighboring property owners don't either.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Have you had your rabies vaccine?  If not, I see that in your future.
View Quote

@wildearp

I know... I know... but like I said, while I can be wrong, I tend to think I can judge somewhat the danger potential a dog poses.

I just have not yet been in a position where I felt killing a dog was necessary... I'm sure some day my luck will run out, and under the right circumstances, trust me, I won't hesitate to actually kill a dog.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Rigian:

Well done.
View Quote

LOL... there are perhaps three here already who are butt hurt.

Anyone want to come play, we're hiring.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Shoot a few and it discourages the others
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#40]
12g + Rock Salt =
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Get off my lawn! I hate trespassers like that. They know better and still do it. My grandma used to get poachers on her 300 acres in Oregon. It was so bad she wouldn't let us go into the forest area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbirdious] [#42]
Gotcha. Yea I would think it would be encouraged to use your issued gear as much as possible for familiarization reasons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Some people just need a good back hand and a lesson. Others need more...
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#46]

LOL... there are perhaps three here already who are butt hurt.

Anyone want to come play, we're hiring.
View Quote

Panhandle?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rigian:

Well done.
View Quote
Because there is a shit ton of "trespassing is ok" types on this site.  Look at the +5 page poaching thread here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By antenna_farmer:

It's a huge problem here.  The main reason is that the "right" of dog hunters to go wherever the fuck they want without permission is enshrined in the Code of Virginia.  It is also a felony to shoot a trespassing hunting dog that is running game off your land.  The fucking dog "hunters" take full advantage.

My wife and I have given up on firearm season entirely.  Damned dogs have ruined it.

If you need 15 dogs and $5k in associated gear to put venison in your freezer, you ain't no hunter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By antenna_farmer:
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

Man fuck that noise.... run dogs on your own property and not somebody else's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]
The only trespassing issue that we've had on our property was hog hunters running dogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top