Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2022 11:12:56 AM EDT
Especially when you have wire antennas supported by trees. Friggin tree rats took down my 160m inverted L support rope & high winds caused a big limb to destroy the 80m doublet last week. Both down within 4 days. Nuttin but 10/12m vertical left up for now. Man that inverted L worked well & was a bear to get up, sucks. Will have to regroup & put something else up when time allows.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to build one of these babies: https://aircannonplans.com/plans/pal-antenna-air-cannon-plans.htm

I built one and the little "pills" fly much better, higher and farther than tennis balls on less air pressure, and make their way back down through the trees better, too. 60PSI was more than sufficient to clear 100ft pine trees towing 50lb test fishing line with 2oz of weight in the pill.

- You may have to file down any mold flash on the pill caps, and also build them up with a bit of Scotch tape to make them seal better in the tube.
- A 2 oz lead weight inside the pill held in with some foam so it doesn't rattle works really well.
- I just put the roll of fishing line on the ground and let it spool off naturally, I didn't hassle with a fishing reel.
- Make extra pills and paint them a bright color, you will lose a few

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I used my trusty recurve bow with fishing line thru the knock when I put them up a few years back. I still have all the radial field & coax burried back to shack entry that are intact. The ladder line that was feeding the 80m doublet is still fine. I may shorten it to 40m, not sure. I haven't been OTA much at all though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top