Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2022 7:59:39 PM EDT
I may be considering a first travel trailer for the family. We'd want a bumper pull for 2 adults + 2 kids plus the occasional kids' friends to come along. Bunks are a necessity, king size master bed would be a plus but we could do fine with a queen. I'm not personally interested in having any slide outs but the wife is for the extra room. I have a new F250 with the gas 7.3 rated for 14.8K bumper pull towing so weight won't be a factor for what we're considering.

Being fully aware that essentially all travel trailers are cheaply made, what brands should we avoid? We checked out a local RV show this weekend and some of the models looked awful with exposed staples and caulking that looked like it was done by my 3 year old.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There really is only one.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Jayco
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is made in Indiana avoid it.
If it is made in the west coast version of Indiana avoid it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Not Forest River. 4 months waiting for repair of its siding just blowing off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
They all suck in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We looked at a Wolf Pup or something before we bought our class A. That thing was absolute trash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of the more popular brands have been bought out by Thor Industries and Forest River - and build quality has suffered as a consequence.

Thor Industries owns:
Airstream
Crossroads RV
Dutchmen
Heartland RV
Hymer (European brand)
Jayco
Keystone RV
K-Z
Redwood RV
Starcraft
Thor Motorcoach
Tiffin

Forest River owns:
Aurora
Berkshire
Cardinal
Cedar Creek
Coachmen RV
Dynamax
East to Wes
Evot
Flagstaff
Forester
Forest River RV
Ibex
Impression
Independence Trail
No Boundaries
Ozark
Palomino
Prime Time Mfg.
Riverstone
Rockwood
Sabre
Salem
Sandpiper
Shasta
Surveyor
Vengeance
Vibe
Wildcat
Wildwood
XLR

There are also a couple other niche players:

Winnebago owns:
Chris-Craft
Grand Design RV
Itasca
Newmar

REV Group owns:
American Coach
Fleetwood Enterprises
Monaco Coach
Holiday Rambler
Lance Camper
Midwest Automotive Designs
Renegade RV

A few brands owned by smaller mom-and-pop companies that are still manufacturing trailers with very good build quality:

Bigfoot
Casita
Escape
Oliver
Outdoors RV
Arctic Fox
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
If your not familiar, study towing capacity, tongue weight, and how payload capacity affects towing. The dealer Will try to sell the biggest trailer based off of towing capacity.

All brands suck. Period. Look at frame welds, fit, and finish, etc.

Warranty is useless. They probably will fix any issues, but you'll wait... .

Buy used. Study it, and fix what's broken.

Travel trailers are fun, but they come with headaches.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dealer Will try to sell the biggest trailer based off of towing capacity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The dealer Will try to sell the biggest trailer based off of towing capacity.

Also, a lot of first-time buyers can't visualize living in a space that's only a tiny fraction of the size they're accustomed to living in at home.

So they buy the biggest RV they can possibly tow, and then discover that (1.) they don't enjoy towing it, and (2.) it's too big to fit in a lot of campsites.

All brands suck.

98 percent of all brands suck.

Right now, manufacturers are trying to get as many units out the door as possible, in order to meet demand - and just about nobody cares about build quality.

However, there are a handful of exceptions.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A lot of the more popular brands have been bought out by Thor Industries and Forest River - and build quality has suffered as a consequence.

Thor Industries owns:
Airstream
Crossroads RV
Dutchmen
Heartland RV
Hymer (European brand)
Jayco
Keystone RV
K-Z
Redwood RV
Starcraft
Thor Motorcoach
Tiffin

Forest River owns:
Aurora
Berkshire
Cardinal
Cedar Creek
Coachmen RV
Dynamax
East to Wes
Evot
Flagstaff
Forester
Forest River RV
Ibex
Impression
Independence Trail
No Boundaries
Ozark
Palomino
Prime Time Mfg.
Riverstone
Rockwood
Sabre
Salem
Sandpiper
Shasta
Surveyor
Vengeance
Vibe
Wildcat
Wildwood
XLR

There are also a couple other niche players:

Winnebago owns:
Chris-Craft
Grand Design RV
Itasca
Newmar

REV Group owns:
American Coach
Fleetwood Enterprises
Monaco Coach
Holiday Rambler
Lance Camper
Midwest Automotive Designs
Renegade RV

A few brands owned by smaller mom-and-pop companies that are still manufacturing trailers with very good build quality:

Bigfoot
Casita
Escape
Oliver
View Quote

What’s different about the RV business as opposed to say the car business is that even though companies are owned by the same corporation they see each other as competitors and take that very seriously. For example, Heartland and Keystone both make higher end fifth wheels with similar features and price points, but they’re completely different animals. So to lump them all together isn’t really fair.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What’s different about the RV business as opposed to say the car business is that even though companies are owned by the same corporation they see each other as competitors and take that very seriously. For example, Heartland and Keystone both make higher end fifth wheels with similar features and price points, but they’re completely different animals. So to lump them all together isn’t really fair.
View Quote

They may be different in features and floorplans, but they're all run by the same couple of corporations who are focused on maximizing profits by minimizing labor and materials costs.

Thor Industries actually bought one of the biggest manufacturers of RV appliances (Airxcel), so they could more tightly control costs.

(Related thread on trailer build quality: When "Lite" Trailer Construction Gets A Little Too "Lite")
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We looked at a Wolf Pup or something before we bought our class A. That thing was absolute trash.
View Quote
Had no problems with our pup. got it out today to go next week.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
A few years back we bought a Fun Finder by Cruiser Rv.  No need to go into a lot of details but it was so bad Cruiser actually bought it back. The dealer wouldn't even pass it for a state inspection.  When we bought it we had been out of camping for years, kids activity, careers, just got in the way so we were green but still had ideas about what we wanted.

We then upgraded to a Rockwood by Forest River.  Rockwood and Flagstaff were more of their top level units at the time.  

And this is where we really learned a few things.  Just like buying a mountain bike or a computer, research the components they are using.  The few things we have had problems with were components made by someone else and were a lesser level.  For example we had a toilet that started leaking.  It was a base model toilet.

But on the other hand the roof material was higher and carries a 12 yr warranty, the axles are independent, dampened and have a 10 year warranty, cabinets are screwed and glued together.

So do your research. and most of all, before you take it home do a thorough inspection.  Run the heat, the air, light the stove run the awnings out and back in and out.  It doesn't matter what brand.  My buddy found stuff with his Airstream, but different buddy bought and Outback and has had 0 issues over the last 2 years.  

Really check the woodwork, hinges, paneling and trim are secure. Check the date on the battery.  Don't let them give you a battery, and the tires for that matter.

Some things I would consider upgrading no matter the brand.  Tires,  unless it already has Goodyear Endurance on it.  Tongue jack, most are a base 3500# unit.  Do yourself a favor and upgrade to something sturdy like a Husky Superbrute 5000# unit.  

Maybe the stereo head unit.  Other than that, enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Any of the common brands that you'll typically find on a lot are pretty poorly made.  With just a few exceptions, the whole industry is pretty bad.  

I've actually been pleasantly shocked at the build quality of my Arctic Fox (Northwood Mfg), and even with their good reputation I've been amazed at the lack of issues I've had with it.  Even still, with the way things have been for the past two years with demand FAR outpacing supply, I'd have pretty low expectations even from a good company.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Honestly, from what I've seen first hand from friends that own a wide range of trailers........they are all built like junk.  I have a buddy who dumped over $100K into a triple axle 45+ ft toy hauler......a few months into it and he was having the same leaky lines, lose screws, cabinet doors falling off, ...just overall bad QC.  Same issues that the guys with the cheap Coleman campers are having.

Unless it's an Airstream, they are all junk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#17]
OregonShooter posted this one in GD - It's worth watching.

Jayco Building A Jayco Travel Trailer In 7 Hours
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a Keystone Hideout and it has been fine for us.  No issues that could be fixed with a YouTube video, which is good because we dealt with warranty issues on our last trailer a Coleman and I will never do that again.  The dealer did store the trailer for the winter so that was a plus.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We have a Keystone Hideout and it has been fine for us.  No issues that could be fixed with a YouTube video, which is good because we dealt with warranty issues on our last trailer a Coleman and I will never do that again.  The dealer did store the trailer for the winter so that was a plus.  

View Quote

Funny you mentioned Keystone.  We had a 27' Keystone Hideout we bought brand new in '15 for under $15k  We never had a single problem with it in the 5 years we owned it that couldn't be attributed to normal wear and tear or issues that any other brand had for 3x the cost.  Sold it last year for a couple thousand more then we paid for it just cause we hadn't used it much in the last couple years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the profit margin on a typical Jayco?  I watched that assembly video and those guys were hauling ass
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just took ours out on its maiden voyage. It did great for the most part, though I couldn't get the water heater working, which very well could be a me thing

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If your not familiar, study towing capacity, tongue weight, and how payload capacity affects towing. The dealer Will try to sell the biggest trailer based off of towing capacity.

All brands suck. Period. Look at frame welds, fit, and finish, etc.

Warranty is useless. They probably will fix any issues, but you'll wait... .

Buy used. Study it, and fix what's broken.

Travel trailers are fun, but they come with headaches.
View Quote

I bought a Vintage Cruiser last August that had a couple of minor issues. Contacting several dealers, I realized that getting warranty work done is not gonna happen. They are SO backed up that it means waiting months.

Luckily, I could fix my problems myself.

Now that I've fixed the problems, I'm enjoying my camper a lot!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Warranty is useless. They probably will fix any issues, but you'll wait...
View Quote

That would be another argument for skipping the dealers entirely, and buying a brand that's sold factory-direct.

Taking your RV back to the factory for service may be inconvenient, but you'll have techs working on it who are accustomed to working on that same brand and model.

They will also have replacement parts available right there at the factory - So your RV won't be sitting at a dealership waiting parts to arrive.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
ATC makes a good utility and specialty trailer.

On the travel trailers and motor homes , holy shit you should see some of those guys. If you hit quota you get to go home early so you get all meth’d up and rock and roll.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been in high dollar diesel pushers, 5th wheels and cheap travel trailers, they will all have problems at some point.  My buddy has an expensive 42 foot diesel pusher and every time he needs something repaired, he has to take it in to a dealer.

We are on our 2nd KZ Sportsmen, budget travel trailer but have had very minor issues with either one.  We sold the first one to move up to a bigger one.  The thing I like about the budget priced trailers is so far I have been able to do any repair myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unless it's an Airstream, they are all junk.
View Quote

I don't completely agree with that.  Their quality has gone down hill since Thor bought them out.

My parents have owned 5 since 75.  The one below is our 2002 25ft Classic.

To be honest, Im surprised they haven't priced themselves out of the market.  I think a new 30ish ft classic is going for $180.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
^A LOT of Airstream's post-COVID sales are driven by nostalgia.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#28]
My neighbor has an Airstream, five or six years old. It's had issues but he's a handy guy. He said when he bought it it was like another house payment.

I've always thought about a Casita, my own little bug out place!
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't completely agree with that.  Their quality has gone down hill since Thor bought them out.

My parents have owned 5 since 75.  The one below is our 2002 25ft Classic.

To be honest, Im surprised they haven't priced themselves out of the market.  I think a new 30ish ft classic is going for $180.  

https://i.postimg.cc/P5g7790L/20190528-095339.jpg
View Quote

Thor bought them in 1982, has it all been downhill since then? Ironically, if that hadn’t been bought out back then they wouldn’t be around anymore and would only be a footnote in RV history.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My neighbor has an Airstream, five or six years old. It's had issues but he's a handy guy. He said when he bought it it was like another house payment.

I've always thought about a Casita, my own little bug out place!
View Quote

We’re looking for a Casita or a Scamp now, damned hard to find a used one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
^Both brands come up for sale fairly often in the Classifieds section of Fiberglass RV.

There are also a few other brands no longer being manufactured that come up for sale quite often: Trillium, Boler, Burro...

One note of caution: Some states allow RVs under 4000 lbs to be sold without a title.

This makes Scamps, Casitas and similar small trailers particularly popular among thieves - they're much easier to sell to unsuspecting buyers.

So - Don't accept any excuses from a seller about not having a title.

No title = No sale!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#32]
@VACaver

What issues did you have? Just put a deposit on a 23Rss version of that camper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@VACaver

What issues did you have? Just put a deposit on a 23Rss version of that camper.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2012 Jayco 198 RD.  I will say the older Jaycos were built well.  I have had zero issues with mine.  Did some modifications here and there, added a second battery, upgraded to 30 gallon propane tanks, added LED all the way around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#35]
When we were shopping for our second trailer during Covid it was shocking what we saw on the lot. We couldn’t believe the dealers would actually show some of those new units. Doors that wouldn’t close because they were crooked. Cabinets that were so poorly put together you could see through joints. So many staples in the strangest places it was crazy. Equipment mounted and missing screws. Quite simply amazing.

Definitely do a very thorough inspection before purchasing. Test every system. Don’t ever think “that’s not a big deal.” If it is not right before the purchase it will take forever, if ever, to get fixed after the purchase.

We ended up with a No Boundries which we are very happy with. The water heated failed the second time out and the front window leaked in the first rain. Took the dealer 3 months to get it fixed but it got done during the off season. Of course someone stole our portable speaker in the process.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I did a bunch of research, and found that Grand Design had the best build quality and features.

It’s still made of paper machee, and the plumbing fittings disregard any sort of residential standard, to the point of blatantly mismatched pex couplers and other stupid shit that could have been done correctly for the same price.

DO NOT go any longer than 28’ single slide with that truck. You will hate it.

I went 32’ towing behind a Tundra, despite this forums recommendation, and low and behold 6 months later I own a Cummins now.

GD makes some cool Bunk House versions that will fit your bill nicely. You want a slide if you’re bringing that many people. You don’t need a big bathroom, but make sure it has a stand alone shower.

When you’re considering floor plans, remember that you’re dragging that trailer along to enjoy the outdoors you park it in, not the interior of the trailer. It’s to sleep shower and shit in, the rest is done outside.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I did a bunch of research, and found that Grand Design had the best build quality and features.

It’s still made of paper machee, and the plumbing fittings disregard any sort of residential standard, to the point of blatantly mismatched pex couplers and other stupid shit that could have been done correctly for the same price.

DO NOT go any longer than 28’ single slide with that truck. You will hate it.

I went 32’ towing behind a Tundra, despite this forums recommendation, and low and behold 6 months later I own a Cummins now.

GD makes some cool Bunk House versions that will fit your bill nicely. You want a slide if you’re bringing that many people. You don’t need a big bathroom, but make sure it has a stand alone shower.

When you’re considering floor plans, remember that you’re dragging that trailer along to enjoy the outdoors you park it in, not the interior of the trailer. It’s to sleep shower and shit in, the rest is done outside.
View Quote

I highlighted this because it is so true. Also what you said about the bigger trailer. The first one we bought was a 31’ and it was a pita to tow. It was a great trailer and the kids loved watching movies in it. But most of us spent all our time outdoors.

Now we are in a NoBo 19.8 and we are all much happier! Tows easy, fits anywhere and has what we need. Love this smaller trailer!
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m not sure if I agree they are all junk, I have a 2017 Jayco fifth wheel, certainly I’ve has issues, dealer took care of a couple minor issues, I’ve had to replace a couple of interior led lights, tightened up water supply lines, reattached some molding. Im sure other issues will crop up.
One has to remember, these are rolling earthquakes, and can take a beating on our roads.
Just do a very thorough walkthrough before you pay in full. If you have a friend who has a rv, take him with you for the inspection.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
People tend to go a little overboard with the "they are all junk" stuff.
The biggest issue is that they really aren't built on an assembly line in any real sense, they are all basically hand built. You can't really compare them to modern cars or appliances and things where robots and computers are doing most of the work. It's a lot closer to a house, but on a shorter timeline and with no building inspector.

That said, after a year and change I've had zero issues with my Vibe. My buddy who bought a Jayco has had 2 minor issues. One was with the water heater (and everyone uses the same appliances and so forth so which brand you buy won't help you there) and was covered under warranty. The other was with some trim and he fixed it himself in 10 minutes.

Bottom line buying a trailer is like buying a house, you are going to have fix some things or pay someone to.

Pick a floor plan you like, that's more important than the brand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pick a floor plan you like, that's more important than the brand.
View Quote

Strongly disagree.

There are a few exceptional brands out there - and one of the ways they manage to stay exceptional is by not offering 200 different floorplans.

My suggestion is to do your research to identify the brands with very few dissatisfied owners - and then see which of their models and floorplans come closest to suiting your needs.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#41]
There is no perfect brand and spending money on a “better brand” does not guarantee fewer headaches. I would buy a used one, pre Covid builds. You may end up getting a trailer that has had problems corrected already. Join forums, you’ll learn what problems are common and how to fix them. YouTube will also help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Strongly disagree.

There are a few exceptional brands out there - and one of the ways they manage to stay exceptional is by not offering 200 different floorplans.

My suggestion is to do your research to identify the brands with very few dissatisfied owners - and then see which of their models and floorplans come closest to suiting your needs.

View Quote

So, you know there are a few "exceptional" brands, but you won't share with OP, and everyone else for that matter, what they are?

Out of curiosity what brand do you own and what has your experience been like?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, you know there are a few "exceptional" brands, but you won't share with OP, and everyone else for that matter, what they are?

Out of curiosity what brand do you own and what has your experience been like?
View Quote

I mentioned 6 of them at the bottom of my first post.

My RV is a 2022 Casita.

Have absolutely no complaints about it - despite the fact that it was built during the middle of the COVID scare, when the quality of most RVs got even worse than it's traditionally been.

It it was wrecked or stolen tomorrow, I'd have another one just like it on order by the end of the week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I mentioned 6 of them at the bottom of my first post.

My RV is a 2022 Casita.

Have absolutely no complaints about it - despite the fact that it was built during the middle of the COVID scare, when the quality of most RVs got even worse than it's traditionally been.

It it was wrecked or stolen tomorrow, I'd have another one just like it on order by the end of the week.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Guadalupe_SP_8_2022_jpg-2481248.JPG
View Quote

You didn't offer any evidence that those brands were any better besides a baseless assumption that the "Mom and pops" were somehow superior.
You listed Artic Fox which is manufactured by Northwoods who makes a variety of lines, hardly a Mom and Pop.
Also Outdoor RV, when there have been a couple of threads on here with rather unhappy Outdoor RV owners critical of their build quality.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a brand new Dutchman Astoria 3203BH and from the factory is a piece of shit.

Used it once and had to take it in to get the skirting fixed because it came loose going down the road. You can see daylight between the master bedroom side storage and the passthrough storage. Light switches coming out of the wall. A/C is just horrendous and is a known issue not blowing air into the back bunk room where my kids sleep. (3) 110 plugs in the entire fucking thing.

I wont be buying another one or possibly another camper period. They are so cheaply made that its a fucking crime what they charge for them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is no perfect brand and spending money on a “better brand” does not guarantee fewer headaches. I would buy a used one, pre Covid builds. You may end up getting a trailer that has had problems corrected already. Join forums, you’ll learn what problems are common and how to fix them. YouTube will also help.
View Quote

Pretty much this . Most places are piece rate so everyone hustles and some mistakes are made .

I worked in Rvee for 37 years and it’s a crap shoot . Don’t get one built on Monday or Friday or right before lunch or quitting time .

Well maybe not really bad but still . They have come a long way since I started . To some degree you do get what you pay for .
Smaller stick n Tin units are prob the worst .

We built and supplied  all manor of stuff for the industry and I was in Customer service many years so I saw a lot .
Our GM used to admit that we had issues . “ we are a volume builder and some mistakes are going to get thru “
His take on our entry door Line .
( Lippert )
Over all Gran Design and WinnebGo and Jayco were some of the better ones . Good Luck .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top