Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2020 11:29:00 PM EDT
Recently I have been doing a lot of solo hiking, and Gonna do a bunch of solo kayaking In areas where cellphones have no reception most of the time. if I get lost I would like to have some way to be tracked.

So what would you guys recommend ?

A transponder or maybe a gps that can transmit my location if needed, if that’s even a thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Garmin inReach Explorer+
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garmin inReach Explorer+
View Quote
I like my Mini.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Those inreach and spot devices are nice, but I prefer a real PLB/EPIRB.  Specially since you're gonna be solo kayaking.  Check out Resqlink.  I prefer the real beacons because they not only do the satellite notify, they beacon on a frequency that *every* aircraft on the planet listens to, all the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a garmin 66i.  After a few issues were resolved I’m pretty pleased .
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those inreach and spot devices are nice, but I prefer a real PLB/EPIRB.  Specially since you're gonna be solo kayaking.  Check out Resqlink.  I prefer the real beacons because they not only do the satellite notify, they beacon on a frequency that *every* aircraft on the planet listens to, all the time.
View Quote
Oh, I've got an ACR PLB too.

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
E.P.I.R.B.
Emergency position indicating radio Beacon

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the Garmin product requires a subscription, but it also does other things like GPS and satellite texting.
The ACR PLB1 does not, and also hits the 121.5 aviation guard frequency--which will probably annoy someone enough to report it.  That said, the simple beacon does not allow texting, phone apps, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes Garmin requires a subscription.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I would prefer something that doesn’t have to have a subscription, unless it is super reasonable
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would prefer something that doesn’t have to have a subscription, unless it is super reasonable
View Quote

The garmin subscription is like $12/m and gets you two way texting (limited amount with the $12/m plan). The advantage here is you can describe your emergency and potentially shorten your rescue time if the responders know the equipment they will need to rescue you. One example was a climber was stuck on a cliff side and they knew they'd need a chopper to get him rather then sending people out who then had to call one in later.

The EPLB doesn't require a subscription but isn't two way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Garmin inReach Explorer+
View Quote

Yep, that's what I have.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I pay less than $15 a month.  I love the piece of mind when I travel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]
It's worth mentioning that "eventually" the Starlink system that SpaceX is deploying will change the situation with spaceborne comms of all types.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I decided to go with the Garmin inreach mini. Now I just need to find a small waterproof case for it that will attach to a life jacket
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top