Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 1:09:55 PM EDT
I trained my last dog, poorly, with pigeons.  The breeder recommended quail so I bought some for the first bird introduction.

1st thing.  Fuckers are hard to get out of the pen.  I lost 2 altogether and another two got out of control but landed close enough that I could shoot them but still not live quail for the dog.

These were obviously farmed raised so once they flew they didn't fly far.  Some just ran for it so the pup got to run them down.  He got the feathers in his mouth and likes birds, but he is kinda a fucktarded moron who doesn't get the idea that he is supposed to find the birds.  Oh well, we'll get there.

He is a "pointing" lab (which I am still not sure is real or just a lab trained to point.  The instinct is clearly not there like with a real pointer.  But my wife will only take a lab so you do what you must.)

So feathers in the mouth.  Time for the discipline training starting tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quail can be a poor choice for a pup.  Most pen raised quail are poor fliers, a dog that catches birds is going to learn bad habits that will take years to break.  Get some bird launchers if you're going to use quail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top