Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2017 8:36:21 PM EDT
My first trailer build was a great learning experience, but I needed more room.

The new trailer is a 2017 H and H 7' x 16' with 7' walls.

Attachment Attached File

But of course nothing is ever that easy . Rear ended 10 miles from the dealer. Everything is seems to be working out with the insurance so we will see where that goes. I will keep this thread updated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just heard back from the insurance company. They are taking responsibility and an adjuster is headed out this week. So that’s good news
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just heard back from the insurance company. They are taking responsibility and an adjuster is headed out this week. So that’s good news
View Quote
Their insurance company?  They have no choice but to take responsibility, they rear ended you!

Bill
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the driver didn’t have a license so I was afraid that might have thrown a wrench in it. Luckily I have uninsured motorist but didn’t want to have to use my insurance.

Hopefully it gets taken care of so I can start insulating it on Christmas weekend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Well everything is taken care of. The holidays didn't help anything but it is done now, just in time to go on the road for work and not be able to work on it for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting in my conversion question thread. I'll keep tabs on this one. I was born and raised in Edmond (graduated in 93).
Good luck on getting the repairs resolved.
I've settled on a 7x14 as well. Curious if you beat a $4000 price tag?. I can get one that matches my paint, side door, rear ramp for $4k.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
4K is about the market for 7x14,16 trailers. Mine was a little more but has 7’ walls, slant v nose, the frame is rhino lined, electrical is all ran under the trailer in conduit, and the sides are rivetless.

I looked at two covered wagons on the same lot. One was grade A build, one was a Friday trailer for sure.

Make sure you get the RV latch on the side door. My last didn’t have one and I had to engineer some bungee restraints.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the interior pulled out and started putting some of the insulation in.

Attachment Attached File

Still a lot more to go

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Walls are done sir done. I was even able to use the cut offs to save an entire sheet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
After doing some reading and calculations I am pretty excited about the insulation.

The pink foam is an R5 and the wood and coverings will add about a R1 so I’m going with a total of R6 for walls floor and celling. The rear door and side door will remain uninsulated

Without the insulation it would take about 16,000 BTU to turn a 100 degree summer day into a pleasant 70 degrees.

With insulation that number is knocked down to just about 3,000 BTU. Which means that 8,000 BTU AC is going to do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been looking into the inverter and electrical stuff I plan on adding. It looks like a toss up between Renogy and Aims. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been researching options for solar power for our small R-Pod travel trailer.
Renogy is a proven name in the industry. Look at installing a "full sine-wave" inverter. MPPT chargers are the way to go as well. Tilting solar panels will bring in more power on short winter days but it's a trade-off.
Also, try to concentrate the heavy items like batteries and water tanks towards the front of the trailer to avoid fishtailing.
Many people install "FAN-Tastic" roof fans to provide ventilation. Some models even have rain sensors as well as reversible fans. They are relatively easy to install.
If you decide to install any windows, look at dual-pane RV windows, They will reduce noise and provide much better thermal insulation.
Hope this helps. Nice trailer you got. Sorry to hear about the accident. I know how it feels. I bought a new 4Runner, 2 years ago. Hit a deer on the way home from the dealership, same day I bought it..
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Haha Gyprat you hit just about all my topics. I like the fantastic vents too and will be using an MPPT solar charger. I want to use the 100w flexible panels so I can bring them inside when not in use.

I’m trying to keep this as “stealth” looking as possible. No windows. Really the only thing I think anyone would notice are the NMO mounts but I have some white covers for those.

Right now I’m focusing on the shore power and batteries. Later this summer I hope to be able to look at the solar stuff
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the roof done today. Tomorrow I plan to get the supports in for the ceiling tiles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Overland Solar approached me about sponsorship during my recent break.  If I remember correctly the President is a ham.  I'l fwd you the email!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Cale I will give them a look. Still a ways off for solar though.

I got the celling up and stretched out the top wall coverings

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking nice. Any plans to install an air conditioner? Keep in mind that roof RV ACs are very noisy. A window unit is a lot quieter. I have seen a trailer with a split AC unit installed. The evaporator was mounted on a wall, inside and the condenser was on the front of the trailer, just behind the hitch. It did not look very obvious, like an AC unit.
Also, some van dwellers use glue-on flexible solar panels glued on their van roofs. It's hard to spot them like the large full size solar modules.

BTW, I was recently shopping for a quiet generator for my small travel trailer. My choice came down to a Honda EU-2000i and a Yamaha 2000, inverter type generators.  Yamaha was unable to run the 13kBTU roof AC unit as it could not handle the starting current. I was surprised that Honda ran the AC just fine. This is the generator I kept. It literally runs all day on a gallon of fuel, while charging the RV batteries and running small appliances and my radios. Obviously it uses more gas to run the AC (~1,300W).
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I bet that 1/4" plywood was easier to hang than that floppy fiberglass I used on the club trailer
Looking Great!
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
LUCKY... Good buddy has the same rig, we use it for prairie dog safaris..  Beef up the hitch lock as these things like to disappear.   Keep up on the updates, like the pix..

Prosise
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking nice. Any plans to install an air conditioner? Keep in mind that roof RV ACs are very noisy. A window unit is a lot quieter. I have seen a trailer with a split AC unit installed. The evaporator was mounted on a wall, inside and the condenser was on the front of the trailer, just behind the hitch. It did not look very obvious, like an AC unit.
Also, some van dwellers use glue-on flexible solar panels glued on their van roofs. It's hard to spot them like the large full size solar modules.

BTW, I was recently shopping for a quiet generator for my small travel trailer. My choice came down to a Honda EU-2000i and a Yamaha 2000, inverter type generators.  Yamaha was unable to run the 13kBTU roof AC unit as it could not handle the starting current. I was surprised that Honda ran the AC just fine. This is the generator I kept. It literally runs all day on a gallon of fuel, while charging the RV batteries and running small appliances and my radios. Obviously it uses more gas to run the AC (~1,300W).
View Quote
My plan has been to use a portable room AC and instead of venting it out a window like they recommend I plan to vent it out the floor. They make 5k-10k btu so plenty enough to cool the 100sq ft.

I’ve looked at the flexible solar panels and want to do those but after I get everything operational. I’m still thinking of it as I build but just not until I have a working dc/ac system.

I’ve used a couple of the small 2000w harbor freight inverter generators at work and have been really impressed. They are really quiet and run a long time on their little gas tank.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bet that 1/4" plywood was easier to hang than that floppy fiberglass I used on the club trailer
Looking Great!
View Quote
That is actually 5mm utility board. It’s only $12 a sheet and has a nice grain. I bought a nice new diablo finish blade, but it was a 7 1/4 and my saw is 6 1/2. I guess that’s something I should have looked into haha
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LUCKY... Good buddy has the same rig, we use it for prairie dog safaris..  Beef up the hitch lock as these things like to disappear.   Keep up on the updates, like the pix..

Prosise
View Quote
Yeah that is part of the reason I’m trying to keep it stealth looking. I have a coupler lock but have been thinking about tossing a cable and lock in the tool box for the wheels when in sketchy areas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF is this in Ham Radios? Get this thing in GD or something for me people to drool. Looking forward to this one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WTF is this in Ham Radios? Get this thing in GD or something for me people to drool. Looking forward to this one.
View Quote
Well this is going to be my ham shack so I guess GD folks will have to venture over.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is what is important.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
That's the oddest looking radio I've ever seen. Is that an all-bander?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got back to town. I have this week to work on it then back on the road for a couple weeks.

The floor is life proof vinyl planks from Home Depot. It’s a little expensive but checks all the boxes for what I was looking for. The lower walls are black short loom indoor outdoor carpet. The plan is to trim the leather and carpet seam with L track.

The couch is the same from my last build but with a new attachment system that allows for it to be removed if I need to haul more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just got back to town. I have this week to work on it then back on the road for a couple weeks.

The floor is life proof vinyl planks from Home Depot. It's a little expensive but checks all the boxes for what I was looking for. The lower walls are black short loom indoor outdoor carpet. The plan is to trim the leather and carpet seam with L track.

The couch is the same from my last build but with a new attachment system that allows for it to be removed if I need to haul more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224019/D3E8095D-7C3D-466E-AA09-21F4592A7ACC-464559.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224019/E0D3B04C-874E-4736-975F-FD0FFD3DB590-464560.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224019/B62C7E28-4F7C-4E31-ADAE-A40B3FDDF1E5-464561.JPG
View Quote
Add a little desk and a phone and I'd swear I'd seen that couch in a, uh... training video.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]
If it’s a rocking, don’t come knocking
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Made a little more progress today. Hands down the 4x8 rolling table has been a huge help. I like that I can just roll it into the driveway and make a mess instead of in the garage. The 5” swivel casters go over bumps no problem plus it can turn in its own footprint.

I got the soft touch and carpet up in the front. Still trying to let it all stretch out and settle before I glue it down.

And I picked up a kregg jig which I have wanted for years but this was the excuse to get it. It was a big help in framing out the cabinets.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Back in town. Got the walls in place and started on the crown molding. The idea is the crown molding will help hold the ceiling tiles up. It’s 1x4 pine ripped and stuck together with some rounded corners.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA. I was able to get that one wrinkle out. It was impossible to see until I took the photo b
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
gcw...after a year-long hiatus I saw this post and it has been something I've been throwing around (actually have been given one of the ADA compliant FEMA trailers for the price of dragging it out of the field it's in) a conversion as a work trailer. I think you got me into checking back in on a more regular basis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top