Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 3:57:20 PM EDT
I have a 5x10 landscape type trailer (I bought used, originally from Lowes). I hauls a 4 wheeler, mulch, and maybe a motorcycle if if its not running.

Deck needs to be treated - it sits out in the weather in the winter, boards are getting dried out, prefer to maximize life especially with the cost of lumber to replace (wouldn't need it until at least next year).

I do not have an easy source of used motor oil and ATF, not sure I want to buy that or diesel fuel, but if I go that route how much do I need? Can I roll it on instead of spray?

Is there a decent/ cheap commercial option like Thompson's or something?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Used motor oil is everywhere here. I've got ten gallons in the garage. Too bad you're so far away. Most folks buy a cheap lawn sprayer and spray it on, top and bottom. Messy and probably illegal, but it works. Ask around, some of your friends must have some oil. Thompsons or any commercial stuff is gonna be expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two trailers with exposed wood decks, one 20' the other 12'.

I haven't treated either with anything, the 20' is a 2003 model. All is well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember that anything that you put on it, unless it is 100% soaked in, is going to be on the bottom of your boots/shoes. You may be tracking used motor oil in your house if you go that route. You could buy some cheap paint, put it on fairly thick, then put some sand on top of it before it dries to give you some traction for walking on it. I did that on an old wood deck one time and it did ok.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I sealed mine with Olympic Elite oil based sealer/stain.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
i went the used oil route. disposable tray liner and a roller. did it on a sunny day. it's amazing how much gets soaked up. any residue and smell dissipated quickly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just remember that anything that you put on it, unless it is 100% soaked in, is going to be on the bottom of your boots/shoes. You may be tracking used motor oil in your house if you go that route. You could buy some cheap paint, put it on fairly thick, then put some sand on top of it before it dries to give you some traction for walking on it. I did that on an old wood deck one time and it did ok.
View Quote
Do it in the sun, on a warm day - and that's *maybe* a 10 minute problem.

But the bigger point:  You just sprayed your trailer deck surface with an UMO/diesel mix - why would you be walking on it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Used cooking oil?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how new they are but there are some deck products that are supposed to last a long time like Behr Deck over.  If you are doing new boards and painted them before you screwed them down and then painted over the screws I'd think they would last a long time.

I took a look on youtube and don't see any lifetime alternatives.   I know there are boat trailer bunks that are lifetime products.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But the bigger point:  You just sprayed your trailer deck surface with an UMO/diesel mix - why would you be walking on it?
View Quote

Maybe you have never seen it, but I have seen a couple of trailers that would for lack of a better word "sweat" out oil on a hot day. Maybe your luck is better, it is just something else to think about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I inherited an old trailer about five years ago. I pressure washed the wood deck, then sprayed with leftover deck sealer, Thompson's probably.

Looked like new, still looks good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember that around 2003, arsenic was removed from the pressure treatment formula by the Feds.

I built my house in 2011 -2013. My deck that is 12' off the ground is rotting. I have in ground rated 6x6 posts in my dog run that have completly rotted off at ground level.

The 18 foot dual axle trailer I bought 8 years ago has a rotting deck. I have painted it twice with used motor oil, so not sure if it helps at all.

My opinion of the "Planet Friendly" non  - chromated copper arsenate (CCA for short), is that it`s junk. We would do just as good soaking raw lumber in green tea.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remember that around 2003, arsenic was removed from the pressure treatment formula by the Feds.

I built my house in 2011 -2013. My deck that is 12' off the ground is rotting. I have in ground rated 6x6 posts in my dog run that have completly rotted off at ground level.

The 18 foot dual axle trailer I bought 8 years ago has a rotting deck. I have painted it twice with used motor oil, so not sure if it helps at all.

My opinion of the "Planet Friendly" non  - chromated copper arsenate (CCA for short), is that it`s junk. We would do just as good soaking raw lumber in green tea.
View Quote

I built a lot of decks from 2008-2011 and all are still in great shape.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe you have never seen it, but I have seen a couple of trailers that would for lack of a better word "sweat" out oil on a hot day. Maybe your luck is better, it is just something else to think about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mix up 1:1 diesel and used engine oil.  I've never had it be slippery when wet, or sweat out the stuff.  I just mix in a bucket, slop into a paint tray, and apply with a roller.  I'd say I wait for a hot day, but it's usually hot here.

I just assume the trailer I have came with the cheapest, shittiest wood ever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I mix up 1:1 diesel and used engine oil.  I've never had it be slippery when wet, or sweat out the stuff.  I just mix in a bucket, slop into a paint tray, and apply with a roller.  I'd say I wait for a hot day, but it's usually hot here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen it either.  It's been pretty hot here now and I usually re-oil mine twice a year, once in the spring once in late summer.

However, I can't re-oil it right now:

That's a large Maple I plan to take to my sawyer.  Note the "dryness" of the White Oak trailer deck.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I use boiled Linseed oil and have had really good luck with it.  I've found it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local True Value store for about $40 per gallon.  I like that it soaks in fast and dries in a day or so.  I have an old flat bed Ford one ton that I've treated about every 3 years for the last 20 years and it's still in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I've used deck paint on several trailer decks that I have owned.  It seems to hold up very well.
YMMV
TheMULE
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use boiled Linseed oil and have had really good luck with it.  I've found it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local True Value store for about $40 per gallon.  I like that it soaks in fast and dries in a day or so.  I have an old flat bed Ford one ton that I've treated about every 3 years for the last 20 years and it's still in good shape.
View Quote

I used boiled linseed oil on both of my trailers..........so far,so good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I spilled a lot of motor oil on my trailer and the boards rotted faster where the oil spilled than where it didn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top