Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2020 6:07:12 PM EDT
So this home and land I'm looking at have an odd feature in the middle of it there is a flipped over John Deer agricultural tractor! It's the type I have seen on famers ranches that cost around $500,000+!

Yet it's flipped over in the middle of the land. The Realtor said she had never seen anything like this and would get the story for us satellite imagery shows the agricultural equipment was up and running 11/01/2017  from the Google Earth image.

What I'd like to know as it seems everything that is on the property if I buy the home will be ours as I don't think the grandkids are going to come out from CA and  Florida to clean out the home.

What I'm wanting to know is could I get someone to buy it for parts? How would I go about doing that? I know this machine costs more then the home I'm buying!

When I go out there next I'll take photos of the tractor maybe get more information!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IN!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
someone owns it, be it the insurance company that paid, out, the farmer or john deere finance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
$500,000+?

Not many tractors worth more than $500k... pics please!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything big enough to be in the 500k range I'd be more curious as to WHAT flipped it over.......and I'd probably not buy based on that.

As for selling for parts you'd get no where near that much for it. If it was free and clear to you the salvage/tractor junkyard would lowball you worse than a someone on Craig's List.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Anything big enough to be in the 500k range I'd be more curious as to WHAT flipped it over.......and I'd probably not buy based on that.

As for selling for parts you'd get no where near that much for it. If it was free and clear to you the salvage/tractor junkyard would lowball you worse than a someone on Craig's List.
View Quote

My thoughts too... tractors like that don't flip over. They might drive off a cliff and land on their top, but they don't flip. I'm waiting for pictures....

A crane could likely flip it back over and move up by the road to put a for sale sign on it. Might just find that special buyer looking for a fixer-upper. Depending on age, model, & condition he might get 5-figures out of it. But at this point I'm very suspect of what I'm being told. I'm wondering why OP didn't take a picture of it right then. Everyone has a camera with them all the time these days...
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
In for pics and "the rest of the story".  
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on OP, don't leave us hanging here.  I want to believe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't turn this into a safe thread!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going back to look at the house next Tuesday or Wednesday so take photos then I did not take photos the first time as I left my phone at home.

Also looking at agricultural tractors the estimates $500,000 was way off closer to maybe $200,000.

I don't know how to described what type of tractor it was it seemed like it had a hopper like where the bed would be on a truck not sure if that makes sense? If I find a photo of what it should look like right side up ill post a link to it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tayous1:
I don't know how to described what type of tractor it was it seemed like it had a hopper like where the bed would be on a truck not sure if that makes sense? If I find a photo of what it should look like right side up ill post a link to it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Looks more like #2 but John Deer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
In for pics
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to a "neighbor" and ask if they know anything about the accident on the property, don't volunteer anything, see what they say.

Then stop by the local JD dealer and ask them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#15]
could it have been a tornado.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Patriot-45-110:
could it have been a tornado.
View Quote

We thought about that but there is no other damage and I believe it would have to be an F5 and there has not been one that size in over 15 years I have been told.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
ahh probably a contract service spreader. Neither the landowner nor probably farmer own it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
So the realtor talked to the family and they say a storm came in a blow it over.??????

Now, this is several thousands of pounds machine I don't see a "Storm" blowing it over and causing 360 damage.

My thought is vandals! That is fine I know how to deal with that type.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Lots of burned combines sit in the fields around here for years while the insurance companies settle claims. It’s not uncommon to have three or five burn up a year.
View Quote

Yes agree burnt is one thing! This is a several thousand pounds machine that was rolled over! It has 360 degree damage to the body.

If it was burnt I can understand but a heavy item like like this that looks like it was tossed around is different.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
So the realtor talked to the family and they say a storm came in a blow it over.??????

Now, this is several thousands of pounds machine I don't see a "Storm" blowing it over and causing 360 damage.

My thought is vandals! That is fine I know how to deal with that type.
View Quote

I’ve heard of cow tipping but never spreader tipping.  

Never understood the big three wheeled machines having flipped many a three wheeler in my youth
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
So the realtor talked to the family and they say a storm came in a blow it over.??????

Now, this is several thousands of pounds machine I don't see a "Storm" blowing it over and causing 360 damage.

View Quote

Must've been one crazy storm! I'm not entirely sure an F5 tornado could tip one over...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Microbursts are crazy strong man. We had one ruin our entire deck furniture set, along with uprooting several banana trees when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By awptickes:

Microbursts are crazy strong man. We had one ruin our entire deck furniture set, along with uprooting several banana trees when I was a kid.
View Quote

Empty weight of it is 31,000 lbs taken off the John Deere website that's a lot of weight to toss around. Now it says it's Max speed is 46 MPH getting that bad boy to that speed then doing an evasive maneuver with it's high center of gravity I could see that suck roll!

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Dude! Pics!

Seriously, talk to the seller and find out who owns it. If you buy the property and the seller says it gos with the place, do an addendum to the your contract demanding a bill of sale for the tractor. I'd want a title, bill of sale, or even have the tractor described with serial number added into the contract, that way it goes through the escrow and covers your butt if you start working on it, trying to sell it, whatever and somebody comes along saying they own it.

That said, if all it did was flip in a storm, the running gear is all good. Watch out for hydro lock before starting it. I'd rent a dozer or something and flip it on its wheels, get it running and you'd have the coolest swamp buggy around. Get some junk cars and let your kids run over them like a monster truck show.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

I’ve heard of cow tipping but never spreader tipping.  

Never understood the big three wheeled machines having flipped many a three wheeler in my youth
View Quote

They don't go into details, just that the grade was too great for how slippery the ground was.
You've got to go in about 4:30 to see it recovered.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#27]
The farmers son is buried underneath the tractor
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I bet the land is leased to the farmer who actually owns the equipment and it does not "come with the property" if you buy it. Most likely waiting on insurance company and/or better ground conditions for recovery.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#29]
What a good site to use to link the photos up with. My Photobucket went to crap and they deleted all my photos.

Also it's going to be removed if we buy the home. Now we were told that someone tried to transport it and it felt off the flat bed trailer back around the summer of 2019.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
What a good site to use to link the photos up with. My Photobucket went to crap and they deleted all my photos. 

Also it's going to be removed if we buy the home. Now we were told that someone tried to transport it and it felt off the flat bed trailer back around the summer of 2019.
View Quote

Imgur.com
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What a good site to use to link the photos up with. My Photobucket went to crap and they deleted all my photos.

Also it's going to be removed if we buy the home. Now we were told that someone tried to transport it and it felt off the flat bed trailer back around the summer of 2019.
View Quote
Or just upload them directly using select file/upload.   No need to use an image host.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
Or just upload them directly using select file/upload.   No need to use an image host.
View Quote

I don't have those options. Team members only?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have the highlighted option?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

I don't have those options. Team members only?
View Quote

Pretty sure that's a Team only feature, though I've never used it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use it all the time, but I've been a team member for years w/ a few lapses where I renewed late.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Hope this works!

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for how bright it is camera was on manual I was taking photo of the moon last and forgot to put it on Auto.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like a fairly old combine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like a fairly old combine.
View Quote

Agree. Definately a combine.
Definately not a 1/2 million dollar combine

ETA, whoops.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Agree. Definately a combine.
Definately not a 1/2 million dollar combine
View Quote

From the looks of it I’d take the tires and scrap the rest. Maybe the engine is worth pulling for spares.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Hope this works!

https://i.imgur.com/JsuVOZ0.jpg

[url]https://i.imgur.com/mlvLH5i.jpg[/img

https://i.imgur.com/9dzwFOF.jpg
View Quote

That’s a JD 484 cotton stripper. If you look at the pictures of the one that sold in the link, you can see why a microburst could tumble one. They’re a giant sail off broadside in the wind. It’s also not worth much more than scrap value, which is why they probably left it to sit. The operating one in the link sold for $2400 a few years ago. If you buy the place, take the wheels off the thing, list them as a set, and scrap the rest of that heap.

https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/28900245/john-deere-484

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

That’s a JD 484 cotton stripper. If you look at the pictures of the one that sold in the link, you can see why a microburst could tumble one. They’re a giant sail off broadside in the wind. It’s also not worth much more than scrap value, which is why they probably left it to sit. The operating one in the link sold for $2400 a few years ago. If you buy the place, take the wheels off the thing, list them as a set, and scrap the rest of that heap. 

https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/28900245/john-deere-484

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/8D4523D7-37C8-45E0-8DFE-2DEA4ACC482C_jpe-1424077.JPG
View Quote

I am SSSSOOOOOOOOO disappointed...

Here I was, expecting a legitimate piece of high end machinery that someone left in a field for some unknown reason after it was damaged.

As it turns out it was a piece of scrap to begin with and we know why they never bothered to recover it...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#43]

I am SSSSOOOOOOOOO disappointed...

Here I was, expecting a legitimate piece of high end machinery that someone left in a field for some unknown reason after it was damaged.

As it turns out it was a piece of scrap to begin with and we know why they never bothered to recover it...
View Quote

Contrary to popular belief your average farmer is probably a better businessman and manager of money than most.  If it was worth it it wouldn’t be there. Especially if there was an outstanding note on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Here I was, expecting a legitimate piece of high end machinery that someone left in a field for some unknown reason after it was damaged.

As it turns out it was a piece of scrap to begin with and we know why they never bothered to recover it...
View Quote

You can afford to trash a $20k+ machine? This was a person's investment! Now just trash! Glad you feel $20k+ is nothing!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#45]

You can afford to trash a $20k+ machine? This was a person's investment! Now just trash! Glad you feel $20k+ is nothing! 
View All Quotes

You can afford to trash a $20k+ machine? This was a person's investment! Now just trash! Glad you feel $20k+ is nothing! 

Ummmm that’s not what he said at all.

It is now worth scrap only.....and since even the scrap value is minimal, it hasn’t been worth messing with. Which is why it’s just sitting in the field. Call some local meth scrappers and they will remove it all for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I think scrap is like $100 a ton right now, so not much. I'd want the running gear out of it. I'm not sure what motor it has, but I'm sure it'd be a good swap in something. It'd probably still be a good swamp buggy, even if it's only front wheel drive. Strip off all the stuff on the back, all the weights on the front wheels. Put flood lights 360° on the roof and drive around shooting hogs at night. Look how high the cab is, it'd make a good platform for that.

But it doesn't matter, he already said they are removing it before the closing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Contrary to popular belief your average farmer is probably a better businessman and manager of money than most.  If it was worth it it wouldn’t be there. Especially if there was an outstanding note on it.
View All Quotes

Contrary to popular belief your average farmer is probably a better businessman and manager of money than most.  If it was worth it it wouldn’t be there. Especially if there was an outstanding note on it.

No offense intended but there is a high likelihood I know more about the average farmer than 99% of this forum. And you're exactly right. There is a reason it was left there. You'll see from my posts that I was intrigued by OP's claims that someone left a $500,000 tractor tipped over in a field. Primarily bc no farmer or insurance company would leave something that valuable unrecovered. Then he revised it down. And even now, with evidence that a decent looking specimen WITH a stripper head included sold at auction for $2400, he still claims it's a $20,000 machine.

You can afford to trash a $2000 machine? This was a person's investment! Now just trash! Glad you feel $2000 is nothing! 

FTFY

For real, no offense intended but I don't see how you could confuse a rusty old crunched up cotton stripper for a $500,000 tractor but who am I to judge?

Just voicing my disappointment that I was excited for pictures and a good discussion as to how it happened and why it was left. Now that it has played out, I'm just disappointed that the climax of the story wasn't as exciting as the cover of the book led me to believe.

Oh, and any farmer that has equipment that isn't insured knows the risk he is taking. Farming carries risks, and cotton strippers are prone to fires. Don't pretend that some farmer's livelihood was horribly crippled by the loss. Either he had insurance and the insurance company decided it wasn't even worth the cost of recovery or he chose not to insure it bc he knew it was nearly worthless anyways.

But for real, if you think it's so valuable, tell them to leave it. And make something from it. It's certain to have some hydraulic cylinders and pumps on it that may still be good. And you can cut bits of metal off and straighten them out for use on things around the homestead. When I was little dad had an old combine out back that he bought just for the engine. I cut so much crap off that and made so many little projects growing up...

Originally Posted By AASG:
I think scrap is like $100 a ton right now, so not much. I'd want the running gear out of it. I'm not sure what motor it has, but I'm sure it'd be a good swap in something. It'd probably still be a good swamp buggy, even if it's only front wheel drive. Strip off all the stuff on the back, all the weights on the front wheels. Put flood lights 360° on the roof and drive around shooting hogs at night. Look how high the cab is, it'd make a good platform for that.

I wouldn't count on it. 2/3 of the weight is in the running gear and drivetrain so it's still going to be heavy; like 8,000 lbs heavy after it's stripped down. Massive castings and a hydrostatic drive that wouldn't be easy to "regear" for faster speed. 114 hp diesel and a ground speed slow enough that a hog could lazily saunter away when it hears it rumbling in...

Seriously, it's junk, there is a reason it was left in the field after it's unfortunate demise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#48]
There is a lot of abandoned field equipment and tractors scattered around this part of the country in a lot better shape than that.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I think Sig pretty much covered it.  I am disappoint.  The Mystery of the Abandoned $1/2 Mil Tractor Thingy has been solved.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#50]
The tires look decent. They are probably worth more than the rest of the machine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top