Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2018 8:44:08 AM EDT
Putting together an off-body EDC kit using a Maxpedition Versipak (forget the model, but it is not that big).

So after putting all the other pieces together, I have some room left for a small trauma kit.

What should my top 5 components be?  If there is any room left, I will add more.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Tourniquet
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Gloves (don’t take up much space)
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Turniquet
Israeli battle dressing
Duct tape
Quick Clot
Sam splint
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
2 tourniquets

3 bandages
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape
View Quote
This.

Minus the gloves and duct tape, that’s what our medics vacuum seal into a (cargo) pocket FA kit for us.

We also have these “inner tube” (thin rubber) tourniquets that also double as pressure dressings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you taken a trauma class? It makes the kit a lot easier to use.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It all depends, what are you going to use the kit for, vehicle, shooting range, ATVing, home use, motorcycle, etc?

1. Tourniquet
2. Pressure bandage (Israeli, Etc)
3. Trauma shears

The other items will depend on what you'll be using the kit for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape
View Quote
This is good, but the decompression needle and nasopharyngeal airway do require some training to use properly.  I wouldn't have them in a kit unless I was trained and routinely practice with them.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is good, but the decompression needle and nasopharyngeal airway do require some training to use properly.  I wouldn't have them in a kit unless I was trained and routinely practice with them.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape

ROCK6
Sadly to say I was an EMT back in the early 90's until I moved to my current location.  Tried to get onto the (paid) squad, however it is small town nepotism to the n'th degree.

Looking more for kit that I would admin to myself.  Sticking needles and putting objects inside of others is not something I would prefer to do, as I do not trust any 'good Samaritan' law.  No good deed goes un-punished.  Especially in NJ with so many dirtbag lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
-Tourniquet(s).  Get the CAT, don't mess around with cheap imitations sold by navy seals or ebay knock offs.
-Pressure bandage (I like the Olaes)
-Chest Seal
-Compressed gauze and a roll of athletic tape (sports tape, not the cheap bandage tape)
-Shears
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote
Yeah, those two don't really belong in a go bag. The chance of it getting to that point is slim.

IMHO
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Bourbon
Scotch
Tequila
Rum
Vodka

It’s an emotional trauma kit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bourbon
Scotch
Tequila
Rum
Vodka

View Quote
Bah!
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sadly to say I was an EMT back in the early 90's until I moved to my current location.  Tried to get onto the (paid) squad, however it is small town nepotism to the n'th degree.

Looking more for kit that I would admin to myself.  Sticking needles and putting objects inside of others is not something I would prefer to do, as I do not trust any 'good Samaritan' law.  No good deed goes un-punished.  Especially in NJ with so many dirtbag lawyers.
View Quote
NPAs aren't hard to use. Easy. But you have to know the contraindications, etc. Im currently EMT certified.

Needles on the other hand if done improperly can do more harm than good and kill someone. Paramedic level stuff.

I think a EDC kit should have gauze as well for wound packing. You can't use tourniquets on junctions, only on limbs. And the chest needs seals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And the chest needs seals.
View Quote
Chest seals are pretty easy to understand and identify the need.  Getting the visual from the blood and making sure the one side is open to drain properly can be practiced fairly easily.  Finding a willing person to practice with a nasopharyngeal airway is difficult and practicing on yourself doesn't lend well to inserting into someone else.  Although, I would recommend getting training with the nasopharyngeal airway, as the need is likely more common than needing a decompression needle.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Chest seals are pretty easy to understand and identify the need.  Getting the visual from the blood and making sure the one side is open to drain properly can be practiced fairly easily.  Finding a willing person to practice with a nasopharyngeal airway is difficult and practicing on yourself doesn't lend well to inserting into someone else.  Although, I would recommend getting training with the nasopharyngeal airway, as the need is likely more common than needing a decompression needle.

ROCK6
View Quote
Those videos of people getting them inserted into their nose are ballsy

Our EMT class instructor wouldn't allow us to try it on someone. Had to use dummies.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd add a CPR mask too. I have CAT tourniquet, SWAT-T, bandages, gloves, combat gauze, chest seals, nasopharyngeal airway, and tape. I have the above plus a couple emergency blankets and a SAM splint in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bah!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bourbon
Scotch
Tequila
Rum
Vodka

Bah!
All ready done!  I keep airplane bottle in the mag pouches and wine in the camelback.

Quoted:
I'd add a CPR mask too. I have CAT tourniquet, SWAT-T, bandages, gloves, combat gauze, chest seals, nasopharyngeal airway, and tape. I have the above plus a couple emergency blankets and a SAM splint in my vehicle.
CPR mask is a little too bulky and not something I can not admin to myself.  Really want to keep this as a IFAK.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Turniquet
Israeli battle dressing
Duct tape
Quick Clot
Sam splint
View Quote
This guy gets it.  Duct tape is great for everything - splints, bandages, lacerations, etc.
Tourniquet is #1
Nasopharyngeal airway is way over-rated.

My trauma kit is divided into two sides: Airway and Bleeding.  If you have even a little training, an LMA and ambu bag are all you need for an emergency airway.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape
View Quote
This.  Exactly my top five, er eight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]
As a medic I am always wearing gloves and often eye-pro.

I have only ever used the following to treat GSWs;
-tourniquet
-chest seal
-Quick Clot sponge
-Kling Roll
-Tape

This does not include airway considerations, only the actual entrance/exit wound.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems everyone is mostly on the same page in here.

Google or Youtube the M.A.R.C.H. Algorithm.

To Stop Massive Hemorrhage:

Tourniquet (Either CAT or SOF-T)
Combat Gauze
Emergency Trauma Bandage (ETD)- From North American Rescue, they make a 4" and even a "flat" version to save room in tight spots.
S Rolled Gauze- Also from North American Rescue, vacuum packed to save room.

Airway:

Nasopharyngeal (takes up very little space even with lubricant)

Respiration:

Chest Seal, I keep the Hyfin Vent Compact Twin pack. (Again saves space and the twin pack does not take up much more space then a single).

Circulation:

Don't have much in my kits to help this.

Hypothermia:

Again, don't have much in my kits to help on this issue either.

Additional items I keep around are Duct Tape, Shears, and a couple pairs of gloves.

You had mentioned "5" items in a small kit, so you would have to go over what you believe is more important.

If I had to get down to just five I'd go Tourniquet, Combat Gauze, Trauma Bandage, Chest Seal, and Nasopharyngeal.

***I am not an EMT and have had very basic trauma based (Gun Shots, Explosion, Car Accident, Kinfe related injuries) first aid***
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Blow Out Kit.

Tourniquet (I prefer SOF)
6" Israeli Bandage (or 4" if you don't have the room)
50g Quick Clot Sponge (25g if you're tight on space)
Compressed Gauze (two are better)
Halo Seals (2 pack)

If more than 5 items add:
Nitrile Gloves (2 pr)
28fr NP airway and single serve lube packet
Roll of 1" adhesive tape
Sharpie Pen
EMT Shears
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No one should be using a CPR mask anymore.  AHA has gone to all compressions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was thinking the same thing...thanks for the update and reminder.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6
Not for the healthcare provider (AKA: skilled and not scared to help someone) certification level.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#27]
1. Has to be gloves. Have to protect myself from any weird things other people may have.
2. Gauze. I like Kerlix AMD antimicrobial gauze for my car kit and H&H flat packed gauze for carry. Lots of gauze comes in handy.
3. Coban self-adhesive wrap. I like this better than tape. Fabric tape would be a second choice. Duct tape would never be my choice. It doesn't stick when wet!
4. Tourniquet. I only have experience with CAT tourniquet, so that's what I carry. Believe there are different types that.
5. NPA
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
CAT or SOF TQ
Israeli Bandage
Gloves
Halo seals
Gauze roll/pads
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#29]
For me, with limited training/education, I go with a RECON tourniquet, shears, rolled gauze, gloves, and duct tape.  I took an intro to traumatic injury care class, and they basically said that a chest seal is great if you have one, but in a pinch anything (plastic bag, duct tape, etc) will still help.  I do intend on ordering some actual chest seals, but haven't got around to it.  Thanks for the reminder!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tourniquet
Celox or similar
Pressure bandage
Chest seal
Decompression needle
Nasopharyngeal Airway
Duct tape
View Quote
A few of those need training before hand but this is a pretty good list.  Remember if you need on chest seal, you'll probably need two but improvising those is pretty easy.  I prefer 3M clear 3" tape over duct tape because there is no question what is under the tape and you can see if you have any blood starting to compromise the tape.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, those two don't really belong in a go bag. The chance of it getting to that point is slim.

IMHO
View Quote
If you are applying a chest seal you have a pretty good chance of needing a decompression needle...depending on the mechanism of injury.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those videos of people getting them inserted into their nose are ballsy

Our EMT class instructor wouldn't allow us to try it on someone. Had to use dummies.
View Quote
Getting them isn't bad at all...getting them out is worse than passing a kidney stone IMHO
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you're bagging/O2 I guess.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1. Has to be gloves. Have to protect myself from any weird things other people may have.
2. Gauze. I like Kerlix AMD antimicrobial gauze for my car kit and H&H flat packed gauze for carry. Lots of gauze comes in handy.
3. Coban self-adhesive wrap. I like this better than tape. Fabric tape would be a second choice. Duct tape would never be my choice. It doesn't stick when wet!
4. Tourniquet. I only have experience with CAT tourniquet, so that's what I carry. Believe there are different types that.
5. NPA
View Quote
Reminds me of the Phil Hartman skit on SNL, "the anal retentive chef".  Wrapped everything up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Tourniquet
Israeli Bandage
Celox, not Quikclot that shit will burn you
Chest Seal
NPA
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have two people and a mask, there is no reason not to give rescue breaths. I keep CPR masks in all my kits.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Using your trauma kit.  So, to bump this thread, my son emails me some pictures of his rifle as I'm over in Afghanistan.  I split the cost of a Daniel Defense 15" rail for his AR and he put it on and took it to the range to zero (he's 19 years old).  Anyways, he went to zero his rifle.  It's a public range way out of the way in a national forest; about 45 minutes from our house.  He tells me a couple gentlemen were there shooting and one had a small looking pistol, much like my Beretta 21A.  My son witnesses the older gentleman blow his finger off at the tip. He described it as pretty messy, shredded and bits of fingernail all over.  Fortunately, my son has an extensive FAK and was able to use some clotting gauze and wrapped up this finger and then they went to the nearest hospital.

My son has been through Infantry Basic and AIT and is Combat-Life-Saver qualified.  He's more of a trigger-puller guy, but has really taken up preparation for having a blow-out kit on him at all times.  He just finished his first year in college with an ROTC scholarship and as much as you would think he'd go medical, he's all Infantry Still, he wants to take and get certified in a Tactical Combat Casualty Care course.  If he has the propensity for it, I don't mind investing in his "tactical" education (I've already taken him to a few tactical rifle and pistol classes).

We had a good discussion, safety being the primary topic  More importantly, it's always being prepared or as prepared as you can be.  Pretty proud of him, but it reinforces that having a trauma kit is pretty important and having it on you is a challenge, but essential.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, we do chest compressions, but some people just need ventilation. Maybe treating an overdose isn't part of your expectations, but a cpr mask is cheap insurance.
If there's more than one rescuer, you're doing both anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, we do chest compressions, but some people just need ventilation. Maybe treating an overdose isn't part of your expectations, but a cpr mask is cheap insurance.
View Quote
Why mess with natural selection?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Name a situation where you have circulation but no breathing that is not a result of an obstruction. I can’t seem to think of one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Name a situation where you have circulation but no breathing that is not a result of an obstruction. I can’t seem to think of one.
View Quote
OD, C-spine trauma, head injury (just because they’re moving air doesn’t mean it’s enoigh)

1) Kerlix for bleeding control or wound cover

2) Ace bandage for backup pressure dressing, immobilization

3) OLAES pressure bandage, covers chest seal, extra gauze, & eye shield as well

4) Small roll of duct tape on a cut off BIC pen unless you have some better tape

5) CAT or SOFTT-W

Gloves are a given and don’t count.

Since you’re saying top 5 this gets you more versatility. I’d really like to add Celox Rapid, an NPA, space blanket, second TQ, and Hyfin compact vented seals to a small kit but with the criteria you listed there’s what I suggest.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#42]
at the risk of being called a racist, this yankee votes for

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
at the risk of being called a racist, this yankee votes for

https://i1.wp.com/barnesreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Nathan-Bedford-Forrest.jpg?ssl=1
View Quote
I came out a horse ahead.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#44]
The items I keep in the top of my Maxped Jumbo (the pouch on the flap) ....

Combat Application Tourniquet
Israeli Compression Bandage
Quick Clot
Nasopharyngeal Airway with Lube
Duct Tape (just roll some up on a business card ...)
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#45]
My bag also has other "EDC" items that can be pressed into "trauma" service if needed ....

Busse Active Duty knife
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 knife
Bandana
95# and 325# paracord (thinner versions of the typical 550 stuff)
Adhesive bandaids
Antibactieral wipes
Hand sanitizer (small spray bottle)
Mylar space blanket

The Maxped Jumbo has a Maxped "Janis" attached to the shoulder strap which has a spare QuickClot Sport in it.  The Janis is small enough to be carried around separately if I want to leave the Jumbo in the vehicle.  The Janis isn't large enough to carry a TQ or I'd have a CAT in it.  However, I view the Janis as a "basic survival kit" and as such it has at least one form of a Hemostatic in it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have you taken a trauma class? It makes the kit a lot easier to use.
View Quote
Yup... get training before you go buying gear. In a career firefighter and Paramedic and watching some YouTube videos is not training. With Trauma you have to understand that it is a surgical fix. Nothing you are gonna pack in a bag is going to fix it. All you can really do to buy time is stop or slow bleeding. A tourney and Israeli bandage is all carry in kit for personal use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Top 5? Ehh

Tourniquets
Pressure Dressings
Quick Clot
2 rolls medical tape
Trauma shears
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#48]
How about plain 'ol cayenne pepper?

as a wound clotter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#49]
My bleed kits are basically:
CAT tourniquettes
Combat Gauze packs
More gauze easy to pull from roll
Israeli bandages
chest seals

I have a separate boo boo kit along generally.

My run & gun competition kit for my belt also has npg and decomp needle in case someone who knows more than me needs to work on me in an accident.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]
So how important is emt scissors in a small kit?

If people are going with no scissors, do you just plan on ripping clothes around the wound area?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top