Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2019 11:07:31 AM EDT
getting ready to buy some hunting gear for elk season in Montana. Is there really any benefit to buying a camo pattern vs a solid earth color?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Coyote Tan Effectiveness PART I

Coyote Tan Effectiveness PART II

It is all good...

Red
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:27:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#2]
IMO, no. South African Boers will kill more animals in a season than we'll ever SEE in a lifetime of seasons. And they will just wear Tan shorts, a Muted green short sleeve shirt and a OD floppy hat. Camo is way overrated. It's all about cover, sitting still and being silent while stalking or sitting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BB:
getting ready to buy some hunting gear for elk season in Montana. Is there really any benefit to buying a camo pattern vs a solid earth color?
View Quote
its generally easier to get high quality hunting clothing in camo colors vs non camo colors from my experience. id avoid brown at all costs, and even tan as brown / tan are more likely to be animal colors. camo / green would be my choices.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#4]
I think a cammo coat is very helpful for waterfowl and full cammo critical for turkey hunting, where ranges can be close and movement can be required. I think the cammo helps hide necessary movement, like required when calling.

For the same reason I think cammo helps when bow hunting.

Muted natural colors work fine for everything though when ranges grow.

I can’t count the number of deer that have walked by when I’m sitting still wearing a blaze orange vest or hat. But I think cammo helps hide motion during close encounters even when you are wearing blaze orange.

As posted above, quality gear suitable for hunting may be easier to find or only available in cammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I look at it differently. I am very selective about the materials I wear while hunting. I like light weight, durable, breathable materials that transport sweat efficiently. I am buying the garments specifically for hunting and no other purpose. Clothing that fits my needs, aka purpose built, is often in Camo patterns. If the same garments were available in earth colors for significantly cheaper than the Camo patterns I would buy them and not look back.

Does that help?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Solid colors covering a human form are incredibly  easy to discern. Even a less-than-optimal camo pattern will do a better job at breaking up the wearer's form.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I use camo, mainly because its normally a better quality of gear made for what I am doing..second, because camo gives me just a bit of peace of mind when it comes to minor movements when animals are close by..just feel its slightly harder for them to discern movement...
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
IMO, no. South African Boers will kill more animals in a season than we'll ever SEE in a lifetime of seasons. And they will just wear Tan shorts, a Muted green short sleeve shirt and a OD floppy hat. Camo is way overrated. It's all about cover, sitting still and being silent while stalking or sitting.
View Quote
Staying downwind is kinda important too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dave15:

Staying downwind is kinda important too.
View Quote
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tmahone] [#12]
Unless they changed the law in MT, while hunting public land you need to wear blaze orange

Unless you are bow hunting then no blaze orange requirement
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lew:
Solid colors covering a human form are incredibly  easy to discern. Even a less-than-optimal camo pattern will do a better job at breaking up the wearer's form.
View Quote
Not sure about that. I stood in front of several does last Nov with no cover at all in my blaze orange and while they were looking at me they didn't seem to realize I was a human and went about their business and I filled my tag.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#14]
Originally Posted By tmahone:
Unless they changed the law in MT, while hunting public land you need to wear blaze orange

View Quote
I'll be wearing this:
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:
Originally Posted By tmahone:

I'll be wearing this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/80/4e/a7804e0c32f46f61bead4d03b1ec7939.jpg
Careful that you don't get robbed by a little old lady.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By phdog:

Not sure about that. I stood in front of several does last Nov with no cover at all in my blaze orange and while they were looking at me they didn't seem to realize I was a human and went about their business and I filled my tag.
View Quote
I think they act on a combination of senses.  If you're more or less stationary, they might "see" you but not freak out.  If they smell or hear you, or see motion, then they are going to freak.  Unless they are already under pressure, then maybe they freak out at the tiniest little thing.  I once sat on a stump, in a wide open spot, middle of the day, wearing blaze orange and sunglasses.  A cow and calve walked up to within about 15ft of me before I made a sound and they trotted off.

Also, remember they see UV.  That means even if you're wearing the best camo, but washed it with normal detergent full of UV brighteners, you're going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Personally, I wear camo but I think good tactics and quality gear is more important.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
In general yes.however it greatly depends on the critter. Some, quite a few. Do not see in full color.
Therefore it is not nessassary to completely camo out. Just break up your outline so if you move. Your movement is less noticeable.

Movement is the killer. Blending in always helps minimize a critter noticing it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By phdog:

View Quote
My comment, while not specified as-such, was made with a human observer in mind. Ungulates are a little easier to fool, at least visually. I've stalked mule deer wearing a bright red shirt and shorts. Detecting movement, smell, and noise is more their forte. Predators- humans included- are better equipped for pattern and shape recognition.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#20]
I think it's funny that people are saying high quality hunting clothing can only be found in camo.  High quality hunting clothing is basically taking regular outdoor gear and putting a pattern on it.  Look at kuiu, kryptek and sitka.  The clothes could just as easily have been made by Patagonia, OR, North Face, Columbia etc.  The difference is the camo pattern.  That said I have met and talked with Butch at Kryptek and support his company with my $ but when I go out I have a combo of camo and solid colors.  Some made by Kryptek, a kuiu piece, Marmot and OR just to name a few.  Dall sheep have pretty good eyesight and I have been under 400 yards in the open wearing kryptek pant and a dark grey paradox rain coat from costco without blowing the sheep out.

I think big game hunting it's more about your actions and less about how you look.  Wear what's comfortable for your style of hunting and keep the colors earthtone or camo and you should be fine.

Just remember back in the day you would have been hunting in blue Jean's and a flannel and probably would have done just as good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lew:

My comment, while not specified as-such, was made with a human observer in mind. Ungulates are a little easier to fool, at least visually. I've stalked mule deer wearing a bright red shirt and shorts. Detecting movement, smell, and noise is more their forte. Predators- humans included- are better equipped for pattern and shape recognition.
View Quote
Yeah, humans are much harder to fool. If hunting humans you're gonna need good camo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
I think it's funny that people are saying high quality hunting clothing can only be found in camo.  High quality hunting clothing is basically taking regular outdoor gear and putting a pattern on it.  Look at kuiu, kryptek and sitka.  The clothes could just as easily have been made by Patagonia, OR, North Face, Columbia etc.  The difference is the camo pattern.  That said I have met and talked with Butch at Kryptek and support his company with my $ but when I go out I have a combo of camo and solid colors.  Some made by Kryptek, a kuiu piece, Marmot and OR just to name a few.  Dall sheep have pretty good eyesight and I have been under 400 yards in the open wearing kryptek pant and a dark grey paradox rain coat from costco without blowing the sheep out.

I think big game hunting it's more about your actions and less about how you look.  Wear what's comfortable for your style of hunting and keep the colors earthtone or camo and you should be fine.

Just remember back in the day you would have been hunting in blue Jean's and a flannel and probably would have done just as good.
View Quote
I use a lot of Patagonia clothing even though they are not popular with some here. It is a little known fact that they make outerwear for very special forces defending our country. I hunted with one of those team members and he said they took very good care of them...
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
View Quote
My PH and tracker last year.

Attachment Attached File

I only wear camo for waterfowl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top