Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 3:20:38 PM EDT
Now this is a real boat anchor!
A salvage firm has received approval from a judge in Virginia to remove the telegraph machine from the famous Titanic wreck that was used to send distress signals when the liner sank more than 100 years ago.

Salvage company RMS Titanic Inc.’s plan to retrieve the Marconi wireless telegraph has sparked controversy, with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration among those who have fiercely opposed the mission. NOAA argued in court documents that the telegraph is likely surrounded “by the mortal remains of more than 1,500 people,” and should be left alone...
View Quote

Fox News SOURCE

...The radio gear consisted of a motor-dynamo generator that boosted the ship’s DC electrical supply to high voltage AC to power the synchronous rotary spark-gap transmitter. At 5 kilowatts, the transmitter was the most powerful on the sea, and capable of reaching New York or London from the middle of the Atlantic. International convention called the use of the 600-meter band for ship-to-shore communications, and the 300-meter band for ship-to-ship work...
View Quote

Hackaday LINK
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Good. Bring it all up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a technical forum.  Take your "dupe" back to GD.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Element94:
Good. Bring it all up.
View Quote

#raisethetitanic!

In all seriousness, it's such a monumental undertaking for such a minor reward. The deterioration of the ship has advanced so much over the last 15 years...nature doesn't need anymore help turning her into a rust stain.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno... A new IC-7300 is a better choice. Probably cheaper too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty cool, 5KW at .6mhz... I wonder how big that antenna was.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:
I dunno... A new IC-7300 is a better choice. Probably cheaper too. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
It will be interesting to see if there is anything left of the radio room/setup.  100+ years of sitting at the bottom of the ocean has probably done some serious damage.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
seems like a colossal waste of time, money, and labor

....for what?.....a big coil and some leyden jars ?

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see if there is anything left of the radio room/setup.  100+ years of sitting at the bottom of the ocean has probably done some serious damage.
View Quote

Actually I doubt there is much damage. Given the depth, water temp, and lack of oxygen a lot of old (read really old) shipwrecks are very well preserved.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually I doubt there is much damage. Given the depth, water temp, and lack of oxygen a lot of old (read really old) shipwrecks are very well preserved.
View Quote
This was taken in the radio room durring one of Cameron's trips down there (for the movie I assume, so a while ago now).

Artist rendering on the left:

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should see some of the stuff they dig out of the European mud from both World Wars.   Sometimes being packed in mud they're protected from O2 exposure and  they come out of the ground looking almost like the day they went in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]

International convention called the use of the 600-meter band for ship-to-shore communications, and the 300-meter band for ship-to-ship work...
View Quote

From the era of the misconception that longer wavelengths went further. 500kHz and 1000kHz.

Amateur radio was allowed everything higher in frequency than 200 meters (aka "200 meters and down") under the theory that all those frequencies were useless for "real" radio.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
For those interested, the Marconi magnetic detector used in the Titanic's receiver is explained HERE.

Detector in action:
Marconi magnetic detector demonstration
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

good one..

There is no radio. This was before vacuum tubes were invented.

It is a spark gap,

A very high voltage was generated and fed to a spark gap key ( I have one )
The frequency was determined by the length of the antenna,
when the gap was closed for a morse code digit, it sent a pulse to the antenna wires of a whole lot of RF frequencies, like most of them.

The length of the wire resonated the spark pulse and the frequency  was mostly radiated as the standing wave ( resonant ) of the antenna length with a whole bunch of harmonics.

it was crude, very noisy RFI wise and dangerous by today's standards due to the high voltages and currents at the key contacts

Too bad it is now illegal to transmit this way, I would love to try out my spark gap key with a real spark gap transmission.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah. They built 'em to last back then. Dry it out and it'll fire right up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Good. NTSB can pull the data.

Some say it was a torpedo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hold up, must've missed the 600-630 meter TX on the 7300.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently It does transmit there. There is a mod to enable it
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

good one..

It is a spark gap,

when the gap was closed for a morse code digit, it sent a pulse to the antenna wires of a whole lot of RF frequencies, like most of them.

The length of the wire resonated the spark pulse and the frequency  was mostly radiated as the standing wave ( resonant ) of the antenna length with a whole bunch of harmonics.

it was crude, very noisy RFI wise and dangerous by today's standards due to the high voltages and currents at the key contacts

Too bad it is now illegal to transmit this way, I would love to try out my spark gap key with a real spark gap transmission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good one..

It is a spark gap,

So, basically arc welding. Give it a try, why not?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#23]
So on the topic of spark gap transmitters. I'm somewhat uneducated was it like ultra wideband cw? I realize it's cw but wasn't sure how center frequency was set or how wide the cw RF was radiated from center
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The antenna was resonant on one frequency, which helped attenuate harmonics and wideband noise...somewhat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So on the topic of spark gap transmitters. I'm somewhat uneducated was it like ultra wideband cw? I realize it's cw but wasn't sure how center frequency was set or how wide the cw RF was radiated from center
View Quote

I think they had an LC circuit on the output
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the later ones did in order to decrease bandwidth and increase range

the early ones did not, they relied strictly on the antenna wire to determine frequency and the  bandwidth was yuuuuuge

I think I may try to build one. they used batteries, some type of oscillator to create AC and a transformer to step up the voltage.

I am still researching what I need to build a small one without electrocuting myself
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Neat, a top-loaded / T-Top antenna.  More info on them here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-antenna
View Quote

Interesting Wikipedia entry on the Grimeton Radio Station in Sweden, which used the same type of antenna to transmit at 17.2 KHz.

They still fire the station up once a year, for commemorative purposes.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

the early ones did not, they relied strictly on the antenna wire to determine frequency and the  bandwidth was yuuuuuge

I think I may try to build one. they used batteries, some type of oscillator to create AC and a transformer to step up the voltage.

I am still researching what I need to build a small one without electrocuting myself
View Quote

RFI monsters, not legal since the 1930's

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For those interested, the Marconi magnetic detector used in the Titanic's receiver is explained HERE.

http://www.sparkmuseum.com/images/Marconi/MARC4.GIF

Detector in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAxWoKD-fw
View Quote

This is even more interesting than the transmitter.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original type oscillator is basically a relay.

The current from the battery going through the coil goes through a contact that is on a spring, the coil energizers and magnetically over comes the spring and pulls in the arm connected to the contact, when that happens the contact is no longer in contact, the current is interrupted, the coil de-energizes, the spring pulls the contact back into contact and the process repeats  creating AC at the battery voltage which is applied to a transformer which outputs big voltage. the big voltage conducts through a spark gap and that spark gap is connected to wire and the RF is created like a lightning bolt creates RF, by a big spark, except this spark is 1/2 an inch or so,  goes to the wire antenna and a radiated signal is created. The on off switch is the key.  

I think I want one

It would be very easy to make one using a battery, a relay, and a transformer and a gap for a spark, but that would be cheating. I am going to have to make it from scratch to look like they did back then.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Early high power transmitters used motor driven alternators to generate the low frequency signal. A rotary spark gap gave it an audible tone.

In the CGI image of the Titanic's transmitter, the rotary spark gap can be seen on the right of the MG set. It's enclosed in a sealed box vented to the outside to get rid of the noxious fumes it created.

What a rotary spark gap sounds like. In spite of the raspy tone, it's perfectly readable to anyone who knows CW.
Spark Gap Transmitter - Blue Lightning 1/2 kW ca. 1910 Style Radio
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interesting Wikipedia entry on the Grimeton Radio Station in Sweden, which used the same type of antenna to transmit at 17.2 KHz.

They still fire the station up once a year, for commemorative purposes.

View Quote

I went down that rabbit hole too and look forward to the next time they fire it up to see if I can hear it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top