Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have 4.
I don't mind storing them.
Drain the gas shove in the corner.
They all have their uses.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
give to your sister with some stipulations.
1.  they cant sell it
2. when you visit, you will do the running it, fuel rotation and checking it and can use it as a teaching opportunity for the husband.

You get free out of your hair storage and piece of mind that your genset will stay in good shape.

They get to use a free genset and wont be calling you to haul it to their house to save them.

win/win for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Never sell a generator while the power is on
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep them as loaners would be my plan. Yea they eat space but when you need one, they are hard to find.  And they arent getting any cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the champion the 100574 model?

If so how do you like it?

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I look at gifting family stuff not as only a good thing to do, but caching off site. . I gave my BIL and Parents in law an AR, mags, case, etc. That way if I'm ever at their house (or mine burns down) I have quick access to some gear I may want in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't imagine any Briggs model producing dirtier power than the little HF 2 stroke does.

Is something wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially if you live in a hurricane prone area.

To OP's point, I wouldn't say your fleet needs downsizing.  I have 9 generators right now.  Five are usable.  The other four are "on the bench" being brought back into usable condition.  Four are diesel, four are propane only, one is gasoline.  The propane and gasoline sets are 1800 rpm Onan CCK or NH opposed twins.  If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find them for less than the price of a new Champion.  Even being 20+ years old, they are far superior to anything sold new today at a box store.  Downside is they are HEAVY.  Very quiet though.  The set I use for backup power sits behind the house and you can't even hear it running from the end of the driveway.

I will occasionally buy used box store generators for the sole purpose of fixing them up to have on hand to sell during hurricanes.  A generator that during good weather might sell for $200 will easily bring two or three times that during hurricane season.  If you are looking to downsize, now is not the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone in your area have natural gas service?

If so, they might appreciate having a generator capable of running on  it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I second this comment!  It may cost you some maintenance and or repair time away from your house/workshop/tools.

Quoted:
Great idea giving to your sister one or two you are not using.  Make sure she can maintain and take care of them though or else you have to come by and fix them yourselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great idea giving to your sister one or two you are not using.  Make sure she can maintain and take care of them though or else you have to come by and fix them yourselves.

This would be my next option...  This keeps the Genny at your location, properly stored and or tested.

Quoted:
Keep them as loaners would be my plan. Yea they eat space but when you need one, they are hard to find.  And they arent getting any cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top