Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2020 10:45:25 AM EDT
My pantry management fu is weak.

I’m seeking a fifo can rack system for regular sizes of cans that is durable, and that I dont have to build (time management is also suffering)

Any experience or recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How many cans of what size?

Thrive shelves are nice but there is a lot of dead space.

Smaller ones like above are nice but not very versatile for different sizes.

Honestly just built one last weekend, took three hours plus paint drying time and for ~$145 in materials there’s not a better option because of how many it holds and the space it requires.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like lots of cans - I have two of those 4' wire shelf units and about half the shelves are "full" of cans - that is, there is more cubic inches that can be used, but accessing it is not so convenient.

Can sizes are the range of tomato paste size through chunky soup size.  Cans like tuna and so on are outside the scope of the need.  

Also, canned salmon is in tapered cans, so that could be an issue, depending on the system.

Building is an option, I'm just not wanting to allocate the time.  One reality is a few hours for a craftsman would be a weekend for me.  :-)

The wire racks for #10 cans is not good for my application - I don't have many of those.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly just built one last weekend, took three hours plus paint drying time and for ~$145 in materials there’s not a better option because of how many it holds and the space it requires.
View Quote

Would love to see a pic of what you built.

@sea2summit
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

My imagination is out of credits. Can I has pix please?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Would love to see a pic of what you built.

@sea2summit
View Quote

Didn’t really get any how to pics but here she is. Used the router to cut about 1/4” into the plywood then fit shelves of plywood in, lips are 1x3 I ripped down to 1x1 1/2, fished with some stain. Fits up to quart size jars, beer math tells me 175 quart jars but you can see what six has loaded it with so far.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
pics from my "someday i'm going to build this" file.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

i may have even gotten these pictures from an old thread here.

i think i would build one half that size.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
We have have a Shelf Reliance 72

We bought it at Sam's Club years ago and it has done the job without issue. It handles cans of various sizes and can be adjusted. I think they now go under the name Thrive Life.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Not a great pic, but you can see one I built back in the corner of the pantry:

Used a CNC router to cut the side pieces for three stacking units:

It was a PITA.  
If I were doing it again I'd probably just buy something.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
this looks perfect!  

I may have to allocate the time to just make them, because this looks like exactly what I need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top