Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 8:37:33 PM EDT
local surplus store has one these.  no price but looks to be in good shape.
anyone have a set?
anything i should know before foing?
TIA.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wish I had grabbed a set when Sportsmans Guide had them a decade ago for $200.

That's all I know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Ehhh...just go buy a couple of Streamlight Siege AAs, or Ds and call it a day, is my opinion, or if you want white gas capabilities, a couple of Colemans, or their propane jobbies.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks pretty cool. What are you going to do with it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks pretty cool. What are you going to do with it?
View Quote
stagger around a small cabin during a raging blizzard whilst toting an oil lamp.

what else?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan of the Petromax style lanterns. They're finicky and require a fair bit of know-how to use.

Coleman white gas lanterns are cheap, easy to use, and about as reliable as a hammer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Compare price to that of same-type/condition Coleman lantern burning same fuel.  Add-up cost of spare parts and accessories for both.  Then decide.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like this, if anybody not local to the OP's surplus store is interested:
https://deutscheoptik.com/Swiss-Army-Petromax-Deluxe-Hurricane-Lantern-Sets.html
I would grab a set if they were $200 too
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
man thats neat. I would buy them
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really wish I had grabbed a set when Sportsmans Guide had them a decade ago for $200.

That's all I know.
View Quote

I did. It's a nice set at $200, but not $539 nice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all I know.

Concur.  $200 was sweet--and undervalued, IMHO.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Like people here have said these have become collectable and prices are way up.  If the price was right I'd buy them myself.

Also FWIW:
http://www.petromax.nl/petromax_tale/petromax_myth.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
They don't look like material for eclairs, though.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like people here have said these have become collectable and prices are way up.  If the price was right I'd buy them myself.

Also FWIW:
http://www.petromax.nl/petromax_tale/petromax_myth.html
View Quote
That Link is highly informative, and thanks for posting it.  After having read it fully, I will never use a Petromax lantern with gasoline as a fuel.  In fact, I would clearly label any and all Petromax lanterns I owned with prominent warnings to NOT use gasoline as a fuel, ONLY Kerosene.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ehhh...just go buy a couple of Streamlight Siege AAs, or Ds and call it a day, is my opinion, or if you want white gas capabilities, a couple of Colemans, or their propane jobbies.

Chris
View Quote

Or, some Harbor Freight 1250 lumen lanterns for $20 each.  I use these heavily and they work fine.

IMHO, the Swiss lanterns are overpriced for what you will use them for.  But sadly, all surplus these days is overpriced.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top