Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2018 1:50:22 AM EDT
Local female ham has one for sale and I was going to pick it up in the next month or so when I had all the cash, anyone have one? thoughts? I am studying for my General now, have had my Tech ticket for 14 years its about time right, lol.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had one for quite a few years.

It's a VERY solidly-built radio - patterned after the IC-78 "Land Mobile" radio.

When compared to most other radios built in the pre-DSP era, performance is quite good.

There aren't a whole buttload of menus and sub-menus, so it has a pretty shallow learning curve - easy to use.

For the right price, a used one could be a very worthwhile purchase.

ETA: Has plenty of positive reviews on EHam.net.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks been reading reviews seems like a pretty solid rig. My dad is all about Kenwoods and I almost went with a TS430 but I like how simple the Icom was, which is odd because my Icom VHF radio is so confusing sometimes to program
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
An excellent choice for your first HF rig.

TS-430 is too old, it was a good choice 25 years ago. today I'd worry about blown caps and other troubles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An excellent choice for your first HF rig.

TS-430 is too old, it was a good choice 25 years ago. today I'd worry about blown caps and other troubles.
View Quote
If I were to do 'it' again, for the same money-I'd started with the 718.  My new ham friends have them and as newbs they are perfect. Solid Choice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Great choice for a first HF rig. It has a nice, clean interface and all the functionality you need to get started. Actually, it will last you long after you get started. I have a number of other radios with more features than my 718 but I'll still power up the 718 on occasion because it's such a nice radio to use. My 718 will always be a part of my shack.

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one for awhile. For what it was, I really liked the radio. Took it to field day once and used it as a backup when the club/county IC-706-MkIIG's went to shit. After that I got burnt out on HF and sold the radio.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great Radio.
Does it come with a power supply and antenna tuner?
I use an LDG IT-100 tuner.
Tuner is 'plug and play' there is a menu option for selecting the tuner.
Works Well.
ETA, HRO has them for $160.00, sure you could find a good used one pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My only HF radio.  Love it and they are a bargain.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 718 here with the narrow ssb filter.  Good solid radio as others have said.  I figured out how to do most functions without the manual, as a testament to ease of use.  Fixing to upgrade here but I’m torn on selling it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO get an IC7200 instead.

I never did figure out how to set up those damned boxes to do digi.

I plugged my 7200 directly into my laptop and waas GTG off the bat.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Great radio, I have owned one for many years without issue.  When they were first released they sold for $500.00 then quickly went up to almost $700.00.
Fairly easy to program.
I say grab it!

Bill
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IMO get an IC7200 instead.

I never did figure out how to set up those damned boxes to do digi.

I plugged my 7200 directly into my laptop and waas GTG off the bat.
View Quote
You just reminded me that I purchased a 'box and interface cable' in the Spring, for a Winter project.
Damned if I know where I put it!
Well, off on a 'Treasure Hunt' tomorrow, sure I'll find a bunch of other neat goodies!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
An excellent first radio with a tried and true design. It will require an external antenna tuner if you're going to frequency-agile, especially on the lower bands, though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input guys, I told her I would take it and she is gonna hold it for me until I have the funds for it secured. I have a really nice guitar I never use and I am going to list it for sale and hopefully pick it up soon.
It doesnt have a tuner, just the radio and mike as it came with when she purchased it new several years back. Looking forward to passing my general and getting on the air soon she is actually the VE for our club.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Some people knock LDG tuners but I have a LDG IT-100 and it gets along well with the 718 for a very reasonable cost.  Also a Heil IC mic that after a simple wiring mod works extremely well.  It had a hum in it and a call to Heil got a cure by grounding a wire to the Foster mic connector.

If you wind up with a 718 and ever use one of the excellent Heil IC mics you need to look up the following:

1. Shielding of the Mic Connector
We, here in the Heil Sound lab, have discovered a very interesting fact. Most of the major transceivers today do NOT ground their microphone shields! That’s correct – the mic connector shields FLOAT! Now wasn’t this one of the FIRST things we learned about building RF transmitters with speech audio sections? GROUND those shields!! So, we came up with a very simple fix that just about anyone can make to their rig. You don’t have to get inside the radio, so you don’t void any warranties. The fix is simple and effective.

This applies to the 4 and 8 pin Foster (that’s the Japanese company that builds those dang little mic connectors!!) microphone connectors so common on today’s rigs.

The fix is described on their website under "Tips".  Look at "RFI Removal from Microphone Inputs".
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a couple of IC-718's (one my main rig in the shack, one for portable use) until Piccolo harangued me enough
to get an IC-7200.  So I bought two and sold my two 718's

Still, the 718 is a solid, reliable, and easy to operate basic ham transceiver.  You could do much worse.

But I agree with Picc, the 7200 is a better radio.  You don't see many used ones for sale, but they are out there.

Samlex SEC-1223, SEC-1223BBM, or SEC-1235M power supplies.  All reliable.  (Edit-I have all of these models.)

Tuner - another vote for the LDG IT-100 tuner for the IC-718 or IC-7200.  (Edit-I use IT-100s with both of my 7200s.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote not getting a brand specific tuner.  With icom it’s not needed. Get an ldg at100 Etc and the cvi cable for it.  Press tune on radio and the tuner does its thing.  I’m switching over to a 7410 myself.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks for all the suggestions guys, should have it in a couple weeks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
thanks for all the suggestions guys, should have it in a couple weeks!
View Quote
Two huge boosts to the IC-718, a lot of bang for the buck... a good Heil mic.  There are
several under $100.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/2168.html

You will also need the #0108 CC-1-I cable for 8-pin connection with the above mic.

This one is designed especially for Icoms and comes with the correct cable and plug.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/3224.html

When I added the Heil mic to my old 718 I was asked by some other hams that I regularly held
QSO's with, "What did you do?  Buy an amp?"

And even though it has a Noise Reduction circuit, the 718 can use the help of a good outboard
NR system.  The West Mountain Radio CLR Speaker (Clear Speaker) has it's own built in audio
amp and noise reduction circuit that is VERY effective.

I'm currently using a Heil HM-12 with my Ten-Tec Jupiter.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/speakers/4964.html

And yes, the $200 or so cost of the Clear Speaker sounds expensive, but once you hook it up and
use it, you'll know it was money well spent.  It does require 12v but I think they now come with
a Powerpole already installed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I was talking to a local ham in the radio club Friday and Saturday at work he dropped off an old TS 430 to me and said I could have it. It needs the relays cleaned, also needs a power cable and prob a couple other things but he said do with it as I wish he forgot he had it. I am prob still gonna buy the IC 418 from the other Ham in the same club and work on this one off and on until I get it going good. I told him after  I am finished with it it would be a spare if anyone needs to borrow it that may be down a radio due to lightning or something unforeseen. My dad has had a TS 440 for years and still uses it to this day and it is highly modified.
It was very nice of the guy to give it to me but he isnt radio poor by any means, lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#21]
That's Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
no transmit on the TS-430S
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no transmit on the TS-430S
View Quote
details?

Do you hear anything when it keys ?

Does the "on air" LED lite up ?

are you on LSB or USB, . . . .  it doesn't have a carrier on sideband

what are you using for an antenna or dummy load ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

details?

Do you hear anything when it keys ?

Does the "on air" LED lite up ?

are you on LSB or USB, . . . .  it doesn't have a carrier on sideband

what are you using for an antenna or dummy load ?
View Quote
I had some bad coax, it works but does have low receive and transmit I will clean the relays and go from there. thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#25]
relays cleaned, all connectors checked again. I suspect something is amiss in the final or some cold solder joints have failed. I'll begin the slow process of pulling the boards and re-soldering most of it.
On a good note I picked up that Icom IC718 today! She threw in an MFJ 993B Intellatuner to sweeten the deal!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats on the new rig!

ETA -- How and what are you using to troubleshoot the 430?

An external power meter and dummy load are optimal for transmit of course,

but the receiver just needs a length of wire into the center of the coax connector (NO TRANSMIT).

Tell us how you are determining the low output/RX please..inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats on the new rig!

ETA -- How and what are you using to troubleshoot the 430?

An external power meter and dummy load are optimal for transmit of course,

but the receiver just needs a length of wire into the center of the coax connector (NO TRANSMIT).

Tell us how you are determining the low output/RX please..inquiring minds want to know.
View Quote
I have a 10m and an 80 m dipole that I listen on, to transmit I took it over to my dads and he transmitted to test it since he has been a General for years
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#28]
bad info 73, Rob
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
bad info 73, Rob
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have a 10m and an 80 m dipole that I listen on, to transmit I took it over to my dads and he transmitted to test it since he has been a General for years
View Quote
Ok. Just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to diagnose it into a bad antenna.

Before you go to the trouble of re-soldering the boards, you may want to try

opening it up and tapping on the boards with a wooden or plastic dowel to isolate

the problem board. Freeze spray works wonders to locate cracked solder joints.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bad info 73, Rob
?
The info I found was on the TS 440s. IIRC, there was a problem with the TS 430s where the rivets used to hold the transistors in the PA to the PC boards would loosen up from heating/ cooling cycles as the PA was used. The fix, I believe, was to re-solder the joint on both sides of the board or run a jumper through from one side or the other to make the connections and then solder. I haven't been able to find anything concrete on this though.
Rob
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys i'll look into all suggestions, gonna take my time with it as I am a newbie as far as radio repair. In the meantime ill be listening!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top