Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2020 9:51:33 PM EDT
Can I use both in combination?   Fishing for rockfish in the Chesapeake, I’ve been trolling, lately, with a #2 planer and I like it.  I’ve wanted to try an umbrella rig and I’m wondering if they can both be used together.  I ask because I think there’s a chance the weight and drag if the umbrella would trip the planer.  Is that likely?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, if your planer is big enough. Like a # 6 or 8, run as a “house planer.”

A “house planer” is run off a cleat, with a double snap swivel plus HD rubber band used to send successive lines down. You can run one maybe two off a house planer, depending on the drag of each umbrella.

To attach a line to a house planer, run your umbrella or whatever out as far as you want it behind the planer. Take a #5 rubber band and wrap it about ten times around the rod’s line. Put both loops in one end of a double snap swivel al put the reel in freespool, controlling for over run and the drag will take it down as far as you let it. A second line can be set by running it down about 1/2 way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top