Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2021 11:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elginrunner]
I've been having problems with hogs for a while, a neighbor loaned me his cell trail camera.  I put some bait out and have shot two, but not drt.  Tonight it was a different story.

finally got the sumagun

Looks big to me...

So my question is.  Will the smell of blood scare others off?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No, pigs are omnivores and might think it's an easy food source.  That said, very much pressure and they'll move somewhere else. Think several 100 yards between baiting stations and lots of breaks between hunts, unless you want to irradicate them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Will they eat their own?  I could put him out with the soured corn....
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By elginrunner:
Will they eat their own?  I could put him out with the soured corn....
View Quote

No they won’t unless they are starving. And they will sometimes spook when pressured really hard from the smell of blood. Pig’s give off a warning smell when they are really scared. That’s why sometimes it’s hard to get pigs into a trap after you catch and kill one group. But sometimes young pigs don’t pay attention. That’s why you try to eliminate the older hogs from the group first when working on eradication plans. Pigs are smart but can act extremely stupid.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
That's weird, ours eat the heck out of the dead, and they're usually fat thanks to the rice and milo.

I once shot 4 or 5 hogs out of a big sounder (12-15 adults, plus babies/small shoats).  The next day there wasn't enough left to carbon 14 date.  I have shot hogs off of dead hogs just like coyotes.
View Quote

I think they have to much to eat here. With all the poultry farms there’s enough dead chickens that they don’t have to scavenge their own.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
They'll keep coming back if it's a good food source. I've shot a scout boar, dragged his ass off, got back into the stand, and another boar was walking up within 2 minutes.

I've also shot a few DRT and left them, had another sounder come out and get spooked and run back into the woods.

Typically, I'll drag anything off that I kill and get back into the stand bc they come back a lot. Sometimes it's hours, sometimes it's 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
piggys here are seldom seen during the day, I've got too much stuff going on to stay in the stand all night.  The cell phone camera is a big help with this.. I can sleep most of the night....
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]

I guess dead hogs don't spook the locals...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had pigs walk over and around dead pigs to get to the corn.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
We were oversees and tired of eating MRE's so we decided to kill a wild pig and have a pig roast.   Killed a sow and the piglets scattered.    We gutted it and later that night the piglets came back and were eating the gut pile.  Turns out that killing pigs there wasn't exactly legal.  We couldn't eat it anyway as it was full of worms.   Still a bit of a dissappointment.   MRE's for weeks on end are beyond old.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope
...from a buddy’s place recently:
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top