Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2020 7:27:17 PM EDT
My buddy Annmarie, clean 410 yard shot out the window of the truck. I am not sure I could have hit it myself.      
Attachment Attached File
  As bad as 2020 has sucked , today kicked some serious ass.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]

If you get time to type it out please share the hunt story.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CRAZYDENNY] [#4]
Young lady used to be one of my 4H shooting kids , had a horse wreck about  five years ago and ended up in the chair at 16 years old.  She used to hunt with her dad but while she was in the hospital recovering her dad had a massive stroke and is basically non functioning now.  Took a lot of talking to convince her to try hunting again but I am a persistent old fart I guess.
    This was our fourth weekend after goats and around noon the stars finally aligned for us. Spotted this guy about a mile away
and crept up to the 400 yard mark in a clattering ford diesel. You have to do this about a hundred times before finding one that will stand still long enough to get set up for a shot.
    Annmaries injury was at about the middle of her shoulder blades so she has very little abdominal or core strength. This makes it really difficult for her to get twisted around, get a gun out the window and get on target. I ended up helping her into position and stuffing throw pillows around her until she could get steadied up for her shot. Pretty nerve wracking operation , she was calm and quiet while I was shaking like a dog trying to get a range finder on this guy. Smacked him first shot with a little Savage 116 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I got for her a few years ago.
    All in all a great day with a great kid in the Gas Hills of Wyoming
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool!  Tell her congrats!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
That smile says it all!

Great friend you are!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding job op, and her too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn dusty in here.  Good job, OP.

Incredible job by the young lady!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CRAZYDENNY] [#9]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
We have had a load of fun and a few tears on my end. here is her 2019 muley and 2018 whitetail.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You sir, are amazing.
Your persistence paid off and I bet she feels the same!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!
Good on you and her.
Tell her congrats from a WI stranger.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Both you and the young lady are a couple of badasses!  Good job and congrats!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
OP is a good man.  Thank you
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
She shot the whitetail with my 338-06 , gave her the new  6.5 the next day as the grand prize in Crazydennys big buck contest Getting her in the field and helping her find the confidence to do this is probably the most rewarding thing I have ever done.  
     If any of you ever see the chance to help someone in a similar situation I would encourage you to jump on it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Heck Yeah!

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Outstanding job, Crazy.

Truly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CRAZYDENNY:
Young lady used to be one of my 4H shooting kids , had a horse wreck about  five years ago and ended up in the chair at 16 years old.  She used to hunt with her dad but while she was in the hospital recovering her dad had a massive stroke and is basically non functioning now.  Took a lot of talking to convince her to try hunting again but I am a persistent old fart I guess.
    This was our fourth weekend after goats and around noon the stars finally aligned for us. Spotted this guy about a mile away
and crept up to the 400 yard mark in a clattering ford diesel. You have to do this about a hundred times before finding one that will stand still long enough to get set up for a shot.
    Annmaries injury was at about the middle of her shoulder blades so she has very little abdominal or core strength. This makes it really difficult for her to get twisted around, get a gun out the window and get on target. I ended up helping her into position and stuffing throw pillows around her until she could get steadied up for her shot. Pretty nerve wracking operation , she was calm and quiet while I was shaking like a dog trying to get a range finder on this guy. Smacked him first shot with a little Savage 116 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I got for her a few years ago.
View Quote

Awesome story!   Great of you to get her back out there again!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
WINNING all over the place!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44-40pro] [#21]
@CRAZYDENNY

You sir have made today's foray into the chaos and stupidity of the interwebz worth getting out of bed for.

I hereby award you 1000 internet attaboys!!!!! Well done sir.

I tried to do a little bit of the same today. Had two classes of first time shooters take my intro class. 7 new shooters brought into the fold. It was a great day and reading your thread was the perfect capper for it!

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Way cool OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
@CRAZYDENNY

You sir have made today's foray into the chaos and stupidity of the interwebz worth getting out of bed for.

I hereby award you 1000 internet attaboys!!!!! Well done sir.

I tried to do a little bit of the same today. Had two classes of first time shooters take my intro class. 7 new shooters brought into the fold. It was a great day and reading your thread was the perfect capper for it!

View Quote
  The chaos and stupidity is strong this year. Stress from 60-70 hour work weeks plus covid and election bullshit really wears on a guy.  Days like today pretty much erase it all. Keep on helping the kiddos and spread a little love , lord knows we can all use it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:38:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats, and good shooting!  Good on you both.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Good one, OP. Just needs moar details.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Outstanding

Congratulations to her & that is a amazing thing you do to help her !
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Today, the op was not only cool, but one hell of a man. GIve her my best for her kill.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Ya'll are special people.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s awesome!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#30]
BULLY for Annamarie!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#31]
good job, goats can get skittish for sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
In all seriousness.  That is REALLY awesome!  Damn fine work, the both of you!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
It really doesn’t get much better than that. Beautiful, great job both of you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#34]
Great job OP and great shot Annmarie.  This story made my day.  I was in need of a great story today.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#35]
Adapt, improvise, overcome.  She has it.
Way to go!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
You are a good man.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish there were 300 million people like you in this country.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Yea this is the most awesome thing ive seen in a while. Great job to both of you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By eracer:
Way to go!
View Quote

Improvise is the name of the game here.  I am currently working on a shooting rest for her that will bolt up in place of the passenger side mirror on my pickup.  Kind of a scissor jack lookin thing with a motor from an electric seat so she can adjust height with a rocker switch mounted to her arm rest.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Honestly, may God bless both of you.  That's an amazing story.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Improvise is the name of the game here.  I am currently working on a shooting rest for her that will bolt up in place of the passenger side mirror on my pickup.  Kind of a scissor jack lookin thing with a motor from an electric seat so she can adjust height with a rocker switch mounted to her arm rest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Way to go!

Just a thought... What about a scissor jack that can be inserted into the hitch receiver?  You'd have a shooting angle limitation either way, but it would be easier to install.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Great story OP!
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Just a thought... What about a scissor jack that can be inserted into the hitch receiver?  You'd have a shooting angle limitation either way, but it would be easier to install
View Quote
 No way to get her in and out of the truck fast enough for a shot, has to work from right where she is sitting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Thanks for posting, OP! What a story.

Congratulations to the young lady and good on you for helping her out!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Congratulations to both of you!

The most elegant solution would be an old Jeep with a fold down windshield. I am currently doing this for shooting squirrels:

Attachment Attached File

I coach archery at my kids high school. It’s a labor of love and the rewards are beyond measure. You have taken it to a new level! Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#46]
OP is a great guy.

You, sir, win the internet today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top