Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2019 4:01:10 AM EDT
I grew up with Zebcos, being a boy with not a lot of money. In my twenties I attempted baitcasters, but I guess I don't have the touch. Spent as much time digging out birdnests as I did fishing. Went with straight spinning rods, fly rods and my favorite spin casters were some vintage Johnsons I refurbed and (then new) Daiwas.

Got back into fishing a few years ago. Don't know what happened to the old Johnsons and found out the quality really went down on the (now Chinese made) Daiwa golds and silvers.

Did some research and found out about the Zebco Omegas Z03 spincast reels. SS ball bearings, three line pickups and the gearing is all brass.  Bought one of the silver versions three years ago. Paying out $90 for what looked a fancy 33 kind of gave me concerns, but the thing has proven to be bomb proof and smooth. I kayak fish on running creeks most of the time and this and a spinner are always on the boat. The only downside is that the three pickups really kink up some mono. Mono is cheap, so respooling every third trip out is no big deal.

I recently bought another, but it is the black version. Was like $65 on Amazon. I think this newer one is even better than the first. I know it casts farther. Also comes with a spare spool and a spare two sided winder.

This fat feisty Coosa Spot was the first fish I caught using that first silver. These things are not huge fish, but fight like beasts for their size when compared to regular Largemouth. The reel worked flawlessly and still does.

Attachment Attached File

If you like simplicity in limited gear that just works in the field, I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I grew up with Zebcos, being a boy with not a lot of money. In my twenties I attempted baitcasters, but I guess I don't have the touch. Spent as much time digging out birdnests as I did fishing. Went with straight spinning rods, fly rods and my favorite spin casters were some vintage Johnsons I refurbed and (then new) Daiwas.

Got back into fishing a few years ago. Don't know what happened to the old Johnsons and found out the quality really went down on the (now Chinese made) Daiwa golds and silvers.

Did some research and found out about the Zebco Omegas Z03 spincast reels. SS ball bearings, three line pickups and the gearing is all brass.  Bought one of the silver versions three years ago. Paying out $90 for what looked a fancy 33 kind of gave me concerns, but the thing has proven to be bomb proof and smooth. I kayak fish on running creeks most of the time and this and a spinner are always on the boat. The only downside is that the three pickups really kink up some mono. Mono is cheap, so respooling every third trip out is no big deal.

I recently bought another, but it is the black version. Was like $65 on Amazon. I think this newer one is even better than the first. I know it casts farther. Also comes with a spare spool and a spare two sided winder.

This fat feisty Coosa Spot was the first fish I caught using that first silver. These things are not huge fish, but fight like beasts for their size when compared to regular Largemouth. The reel worked flawlessly and still does.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/First_spot_jpg-1115599.JPG

If you like simplicity in limited gear that just works in the field, I highly recommend.
View Quote
Good stuff, I use spinning and baitcasting tackle.  But I’ve been wondering if these high end Zebcos were any good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]

I recently bought another, but it is the black version. Was like $65 on Amazon.
View Quote
The Omega Pro?   I've got one of those.  Had two, but lost an entire rod off my motorcycle while on the way to a tournament.

It's what I use for tossing worms with pinpoint precision.   I caught a PB largemouth, 6lb, earlier this year with it.

The standard 33s are junk now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
To be honest I have not thought of a Zebco as a viable reel in a long time.  Fond childhood memories of Zebco reels.  I still have a couple that need some attention from those many years ago.  Thanks OP I’ll check the Z03 out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Warhawk:

Good stuff, I use spinning and baitcasting tackle.  But I’ve been wondering if these high end Zebcos were any good.
View Quote

Yes. Ideal for running moving water. Some floats i do, well, you'd miss a few hundred yards of great fishing while digging out backlashes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:

The Omega Pro?   I've got one of those.  Had two, but lost an entire rod off my motorcycle while on the way to a tournament.

It's what I use for tossing worms with pinpoint precision.   I caught a PB largemouth, 6lb, earlier this year with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC2671:

I recently bought another, but it is the black version. Was like $65 on Amazon.

Yeah. The Z03's are what I've fallen in love with. The old 33s were always plastic gear junk. Well as far back as i recall. The Z03s also have three line pickups. Really tough on string, but once I've got about 10 hours use on mono, i respool. Mono is dirt cheap and works great. Mine are also used as my main finesse rods for worms/flukes.  Water clarity determines if i use flouro leaders..
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RRA_Nut:
To be honest I have not thought of a Zebco as a viable reel in a long time.  Fond childhood memories of Zebco reels.  I still have a couple that need some attention from those many years ago.  Thanks OP I’ll check the Z03 out.
View Quote

Also grew up using them. Retrieve won't break any speed records, they are slow in comparison to spinners and BCs, but in shorter casting in skinny water, high gear ratio is not that big a deal. Most of the best creek bass ive caught were on stupid short casts.  My second PB spot was a 10' pitch into an eddy as  i passed the hole in a going down a rapid.

Caught this smallish hybrid this summer with a 25' pitch with a large rooster tail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
After a lifetime of fishing, I've returned full circle to being a Zebco Button Pusher. The new 33's aren't the old ones either. Some are rather close to the Omega but have their differences. I like my 33's and have super tuned them, for $4-$5 you can make a silky reel with about 10 minutes of input.
I never got cozy with mainstream spinning reels, and after rediscovering the brand, am quite satisfied and don't feel under equipped on the water at all.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lostintejas:
After a lifetime of fishing, I've returned full circle to being a Zebco Button Pusher. The new 33's aren't the old ones either. Some are rather close to the Omega but have their differences. I like my 33's and have super tuned them, for $4-$5 you can make a silky reel with about 10 minutes of input.
I never got cozy with mainstream spinning reels, and after rediscovering the brand, am quite satisfied and don't feel under equipped on the water at all.
Enjoy
View Quote

@lostintejas

Got more info on this super tune you mentioned?  Is it something that could be done to the top end Zebcos?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostintejas] [#9]

@lostintejas

Got more info on this super tune you mentioned?  Is it something that could be done to the top end Zebcos?
View Quote

The Omega's probably are already there. Adding bearings to the shafts and properly oiling and greasing them is all a "Super tune" is. It makes a difference especially if the bushings are worn, but even they are good.
I prefer the 33 to the omega for several reasons, but mostly the line capacity. My type of fishing really benefits from the bite indicator, and heavier line. The Omega is a fantastic reel.
Super Tune Zebco 33: Can you build a better reel?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]

The Omega's probably are already there. Adding bearings to the shafts and properly oiling and greasing them is all a "Super tune" is. It makes a difference especially if the bushings are worn, but even they are good.
I prefer the 33 to the omega for several reasons, but mostly the line capacity. My type of fishing really benefits from the bite indicator, and heavier line. The Omega is a fantastic reel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIxcRT3O6oE
View All Quotes

@lostintejas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIxcRT3O6oE

Thanks for the how to link. I find it interesting that those are standard, not metric sized bearings. My two Z03s reels will likely outlive me and my creek float fishing, but great to know this if i ever do need replacements.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for the how to link. I find it interesting that those are standard, not metric sized bearings. My two Z03s reels will likely outlive me and my creek float fishing, but great to know this if i ever do need replacements.
View Quote

Look around on Matthew's channel, you will find Omega maintenance/restoration. With a little care, these will stay above average for a long time.
You mentioned standard size bearings. The 33 has them but not all the reels. My 808 and the 888 use metric bearings. I recall some other do as well, but don't recall which.
Zebco and Shakespeare operate very similarly. Enough so that you can figure one out if you pay attention to what you are doing. I don't care for the anti reverse spring on the Shakespeare. It seems to be road tested tough though. Not sure if Johnson is similar.
Cheers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Look around on Matthew's channel, you will find Omega maintenance/restoration. With a little care, these will stay above average for a long time.
You mentioned standard size bearings. The 33 has them but not all the reels. My 808 and the 888 use metric bearings. I recall some other do as well, but don't recall which.
Zebco and Shakespeare operate very similarly. Enough so that you can figure one out if you pay attention to what you are doing. I don't care for the anti reverse spring on the Shakespeare. It seems to be road tested tough though. Not sure if Johnson is similar.
Cheers.
View All Quotes

Cheers.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top