Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2020 12:25:30 PM EDT
is about to make me relapse back into alcoholism.

I've tried everything to get this damned thing to work.  It seems the Baefong chip is a copy of Prolific, and when Prolific found out, they made it to where their updated drivers don't recognize the chip.  Computer won't let me roll back the driver.  If I download the old driver, the computer will say "the best driver is already installed."  I've even tried using a program called "PL2303 Code Fix 10" that is supposed to remove any new drivers, install the old one that works, and prevent Windows from updating it.  That didn't work.

So what cable can I buy right now that would include a driver that will actually work for Win10 64?

I'd really like to be able to use CHIRP.

Thanks fellas.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use a Windows XP machine that is not connected to the internet to load the driver that came with the bogus cable and then be able to use chirp just fine.  

You can try removing the driver from your computer, reboot and disconnect from the internet.  Then plugin the bogus cable and try to use the driver software, but windows 10 is really finnicky about it.  I dunno about win7 and 8.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy one directly from BTech and not sold through Amazon. Amazon will lump knockoffs in with legit items if the asin is the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy this:IOGear GUC232A

And a Kenwood KGP-22 serial programming cable. You'll never have another driver issue again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use a Windows XP machine that is not connected to the internet to load the driver that came with the bogus cable and then be able to use chirp just fine.  

You can try removing the driver from your computer, reboot and disconnect from the internet.  Then plugin the bogus cable and try to use the driver software, but windows 10 is really finnicky about it.  I dunno about win7 and 8.
View Quote

Its not a problem with Windows 7.  I use my Windows 7 netbook (with updates turned off) to do all my radio programming.  

OP, I ran that same problem last week with a Windows 10 laptop using a legitimate FTDI cable.  I had to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it.  After that, it worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine on Amazon from the BaofengTech store.  Worked without issues on a Windows 10 machine.  As noted above, I would buy direct from their website and not from their amazon store if you are concerned about fakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top