Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2022 8:49:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 8' Palomino Pop up. Used it a lot for bird hunting out in the Dakotas. For getting around in the woods I didn't like the full height. There is also more sway.

I used the Tork lift style tie downs that bolt on the frame. I don't think I'd trust todays sheet metal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I assume you mean the camper that goes over the roof of the cab, since that truck bed is too short to lie down?

I'd definitely be looking at the suspension of the truck, esp if you have a cap and tow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
OP,,When we first retired our first long trip was in our Dually and a large truck camper. It was a true PITA to load and unload the camper BUT if I still had it we'd use it if I could just leave it on the truck full time. We pulled a small enclosed trailer behind us and the whole setup was quite comfortable and efficient. Not having a generator in the camper was an issue and we didn't take one with us in the trailer.

We travel in a MH now and still talk about the utility of a truck camper and what we could do with it given what we know now. IF IF IF we were to go back to a camper I'd spend several $1000 on outfitting an enclosed trailer to better support the truck/camper,,,almost to the level of what we have in the MH. Residential fridge, water capacity, tools, solar, battery bank and on and on. We probably won't do it BUT had I done it to begin with we might STILL have our camper as it had slide outs and a shower and more and was really comfortable for outdoor people like us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a fan of the slide in campers,  but I know some are. I've never ridden in or driven one that don't negatively affect the drive ability of the host vehicle to a degree I didn't find objectionable.

If you are not dead set on it, I would look hard at the cargo trailer conversions either DIY or ready built.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a palomino pop up on a 1 ton. I’m happy with it. I can set up/ take down in a few minutes, park anywhere, go on any road, and I can store it in a standard height garage. The camper has a queen size bed, wet bath, refrigerator,…it would be fine on a stock 3/4 but id probably want bags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
While I think the truck bed campers are neat, personally I’d do a cargo trailer conversion. You could make whatever you want and be more comfortable than a truck bed camper. You could also haul a UTV, ATV or motorcycle easily if you got the right size one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Check these out. Very well built.
https://fourwheelcampers.com/
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a forum for them on ExPo, just be forewarned they've gotten increasingly snowflaky over there in the last couple of years.  The issue with most truck campers, like most RVs, is poor overall build quality as they try to keep everything as light as possible.  The ones made for off-highway use would probably serve you much better- or build your own with more character.  

I've always liked this one and he takes it off the beaten path; I love that classic looking Ford, stripes and all.  He switched it over to a flatbed setup not too long ago.

Alaska Overland Truck Cabin | Official FULL TOUR : Truck House Life

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:32:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Another big thing about truck campers is they're way more off the grid capable than most towed campers.  There's a lot more than just can go on more technical roads.  Smaller they're way more mizerly on propane and electricity, more like a boat, and wired correctly can charge of the vehicle while moving.  

Tj
View Quote

You would think but height is going to be an issue going under trees and stuff in many places. Either a camper shell or truck tent minimalist setup or towing a off-road capable cargo trailer conversion or tear drop will probably be better. With technology today with solar generators I don’t think the electrical is much of a concern. Truck camper only makes sense to me if you are towing a boat for fishing or you have a dually, airbags, etc. and want a more affordable motor home type rig that you can detach and use the truck to get around.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]
A slide in camper is really a pretty big chunk of weight just for the camper, when instead you could have the trailer be multi-use and focus on setting up the truck bed to handle more cargo or pull more trailer.

I find truck bed cargo racks great for that - the type that have a cargo platform a bit above bed rail height.  More like the Frontrunner racks - the Leitner racks take up too much space for what they carry.   It gives you a ton of options of where to put heavy/light/bulky stuff to address tongue weight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Love my truck camper, park almost anywhere, pull trailers/boats etc

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Suspension air bags and slide-in camper: been there, done that, do NOT have them installed with single inflator, you will regret it.  If left and right bags are connected, air flows from bag to bag and amplifies the sway caused by high center-of-gravity load.  Isolated bag on each side dampens sway.  Increased PITA to fill, but....

There may be some check-valve solution I dont know about to allow single inflator, but prevent flow between bags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top