Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2021 9:28:25 PM EDT
ARGH.

I forgot to wrap coax sealer around the fitting before I cranked the antenna up.  It has rained for the last 2 weeks pretty much daily.

SWR went from 1.1 to 2.0.  I'll post a pic from the antenna analyzer when I ran the cable test.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ARGH.

I forgot to wrap coax sealer around the fitting before I cranked the antenna up.  It has rained for the last 2 weeks pretty much daily.

SWR went from 1.1 to 2.0.  I'll post a pic from the antenna analyzer when I ran the cable test.
View Quote

I have RG-213 up 50 feet into my antenna. It has been up 4 years and survived 90+ mph winds, hurricane wind and rain

and I never wrapped anything around the so-239 connection.

It still works just fine.

SWR can go up just from the wires being wet and the guy chord being wet especially if the chord or wires took a tree or the ground. Water conducts electricity.

After it dries out, I bet everything is fine and the SWR goes back to normal.

ETA: I also have 2 VHF antennas with no wrap
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are there any trees near your antenna? I have a bunch of pine trees within ~15 feet of my trap dipole and when it rains, the swr skyrockets on 15, 20, and 30. On 40 and 80, it's barely noticeable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have actual 9913, water just flows down the spiral around the center conductor and rapidly ruins the entire cable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've transitioned a lot of my stuff to use N connectors for these very reasons. A nice Amphenol PL 259 crimp connector is about the same cost as an N connector.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
As an FYI, SWR isn't necessarily a good indicator of water intrusion, sometimes the problem just goes into loss and SWR doesn't increase or even decreases.

The only PL/UHF type connector that's even remotely weatherproof is the RF Industries clamp connector, but I'm not sure if it has a gasket inside the threaded collar or not.

Anything that goes up in the air needs at least a quick wrap of silicone self-sealing tape.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have actual 9913, water just flows down the spiral around the center conductor and rapidly ruins the entire cable.
View Quote

Real Belden 9913.  Dumpster find. New on reel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
iirc, 9913 is well known and referred to as "garden hose"

FK.

One end was hanging from the bottom of the antenna.  It DOES have a platform above it.  However, I have no idea how much water blew onto it.  

I think I'm going to chop 10' off of each end, strip the insulation from the removed 10' section, and poke it with a moisture meter.  I think I can find a piece that has been indoors its whole life to do a baseline measurement.  I'll let you know what I find.

Garden hose.     FK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top