Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2021 11:12:58 AM EDT
I'd like to get a rifle/thermal scope for night time coyote hunting.  I'd like the rifle to be .223/5.56 as I have ample supply of ammo.

I know thermal scopes are expensive but I'd like something good but probably not top of line type equipment.

For the rifle I'd like a bolt action stainless steel with synthetic type stock.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
An AR is a better night coyote rifle than a bolt action.

It’s not uncommon to have multiples come in.

Pulsar offers some good thermal scopes at reasonable prices. 640 resolution is great, but not necessary.

You’ll want a thermal spotter too. If you have to choose, Better resolution in the spotter than the scope is the way to go.

Imo, native magnification (base magnification, no digital zoom in use) of 2-2.5x is ideal for a scope. 1x for a spotter so you have all of the field of view you can get.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Hogster line from Bering.  Super Hogster has seen many a yote kick the bucket
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You might get some good responses in the Night Vision subforum.

From what I hear, the Super Hogsters are good.

I use helmet mounted NVG and thermal a PVS14 and MH25 to be exact. Thermal to scan and NVG/laser/passive to engage.

Have fun! It's addicting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#4]
Bolt action will be ok, AR is more better.

Get a good tripod, the lighter the better.  Good ball head as well and an Arca Swiss plate to mount on the gun.

Pulsar, Trijicon, Bering, AGM, iRay will all make a good optic.  Decide on how much you want to spend and go from there.  I would recommend a minimum resolution of 384, go 640 if you can swing it.

Thermal handheld spotter will make life easier but not necessary.  You will just spend more time on the gun scanning without it.

Welcome to the addiction

My setup:  12" 6.5 Grendel SBR, Vox S, REAP IR (have a Bering Super Yoter on order), SiCo Radius rangefinder, and a Shadow Tech tripod.  Carbon fiber tripod is on the short list to cut weight.  I also run a helmet mounted PVS-14 for waking in and out.

ETA:  Kill from this past Friday

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smid] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

5 we killed this week. I use a pulsar xq50 lrf. Budget and shooting distance would be the biggest deciding factors. I went from a Thermion 640 core 2x base mag to the trail 384 core with a 3.5 base mag and am much happier with it. Our shots average around 200 yards. The lrf was a huge selling factor for me and I use it a ton
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Bolt action will be ok, AR is more better.

Get a good tripod, the lighter the better.  Good ball head as well and an Arca Swiss plate to mount on the gun.

Pulsar, Trijicon, Bering, AGM, iRay will all make a good optic.  Decide on how much you want to spend and go from there.  I would recommend a minimum resolution of 384, go 640 if you can swing it.

Thermal handheld spotter will make life easier but not necessary.  You will just spend more time on the gun scanning without it.

Welcome to the addiction

My setup:  12" 6.5 Grendel SBR, Vox S, REAP IR (have a Bering Super Yoter on order), SiCo Radius rangefinder, and a Shadow Tech tripod.  Carbon fiber tripod is on the short list to cut weight.  I also run a helmet mounted PVS-14 for waking in and out.

View Quote

What eyecup is that on ur reapir? I am also using a 12" grendel with a reap ir but im not a big fan of the press in eyecup that came with mine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:

What eyecup is that on ur reapir? I am also using a 12" grendel with a reap ir but im not a big fan of the press in eyecup that came with mine.
View Quote

Standard PVS-14 eyecup.

Reap is now gone, upgraded to a Super Yoter
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
pictures uploader

My recommendation would be to get the best resolution you can afford. Buy once cry once and you'll save money in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top