Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 6:15:25 PM EDT
Took delivery of my Kubota BX23S a few days ago and got started immediately on a retaining wall before winter sets in. We just bought the house and closed last week so we are also in the middle of unpacking...but winter is coming quickly.  Here’s the before pic. Pretty boring and while functional, needed some work.

Attachment Attached File

Got to digging. First thing I did was cut back into the hill a few feet past the planned wall location...

Attachment Attached File

Finished and painted arc of approximate wall location.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Today was mostly finishing up the initial digging and then trenching for the French drain.

Attachment Attached File

Got a good 2% slope or so and laid the drain, surrounded with gravel, covered and leveled, and then laid some gravel for the base layer foundation.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I will continue the drain down across the driveway but will have to be careful when I get near where I think the conduit is for the light pole.

Attachment Attached File

This is the size most of the base layer will likely be. Kubota wouldn’t lift it and it wouldn’t fit in the bucket so I pulled it with the backhoe to the edge of the hill and pushed it over.

Attachment Attached File

That’s it for tonight. Getting dark out and I have work early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrads on the tractor ! I love my kubota ! !   Good luck on the wall, I built a 140' cross tie retaining wall with my kubota last fall. All together I dug 25' into the hill to gain more parking room.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What’s that poor guy doing with that shovel????

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

He played in the dirt all day. Bath water looked like chocolate milk.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks great!

Here’s similar to what I’m going for. A mix of these wall styles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This will be the follow on project out back. Some sort of semicircle of stones standing on end to reflect heat from the fire pit...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the first layer finished.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
At 18 hours on the Kubota. Re-greased the FEL and backhoe, and checked the front axle fluid level. All good. It’s getting a workout for sure.  Built up and backfilled to this point. Letting it settle a bit and then I’ll ramp the backfilled dirt before continuing. Will do two or three more rows higher against the garage and the wall will taper down lower in height towards the opposite end.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Finished up today...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great OP. Well done
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Impressive!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good! Little machine putting in some work.

How long do the stumps you have dug out take?

We are looking for 5-10 acres with a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch and have been looking at this model and the deere 1023/25 for when we find something. We may end up building if nothing comes up within the next year we can agree on
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We are looking for 5-10 acres with a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch and have been looking at this model and the deere 1023/25 for when we find something. We may end up building if nothing comes up within the next year we can agree on
View Quote

Depends on the size and length of time its been in the ground.  Some came out in 5 minutes.  This one took about 4 hours of digging and the cutting of two roots to remove.  It's been burning in the back yard for a week now and still has some more to go before it's gone...  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  See my thread before I purchased.  Between the 1025R and BX23S most folks were suggesting buy the dealer not the tractor.  They're pretty close in size and power.  The JD can lift more but the Kubota has some other pro's that balance it all out.  My local JD dealer wasn't great to deal with.  Went with Kubota instead for that reason.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The biggest problem with the BX and stumps is you can’t reach very much so you’ve got to reposition over and over again for most stumps.  Might not sound like much but it adds up when you’re doing more than a few stumps.  If you’ve only got one stump it doesn’t matter, enjoy the journey, if you’ve got tens or hundreds...you won’t enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The biggest problem with the BX and stumps is you can’t reach very much so you’ve got to reposition over and over again for most stumps.  Might not sound like much but it adds up when you’re doing more than a few stumps.  If you’ve only got one stump it doesn’t matter, enjoy the journey, if you’ve got tens or hundreds...you won’t enjoy it.
View Quote

True point.  If you have dozens then your time may be better spent renting a real excavator.  I have 8 to do...but I'm also in no rush.  My biggest problem isn't digging them out...it's what to do with them after.  Burning hasn't been very effective.  I'll probably just load them onto the trailer next time and bring them to the dump.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

True point.  If you have dozens then your time may be better spent renting a real excavator.  I have 8 to do...but I'm also in no rush.  My biggest problem isn't digging them out...it's what to do with them after.  Burning hasn't been very effective.  I'll probably just load them onto the trailer next time and bring them to the dump.
View Quote

Did you pressure wash them and let them dry a week or two? Makes a huge difference. When it’s half dirt I could never get them burning.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you pressure wash them and let them dry a week or two? Makes a huge difference. When it’s half dirt I could never get them burning.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/2EA60B3E-94D0-4FBC-A10C-BB7089D93DF6_jpe-1699886.JPG
View Quote

I'll have to give it a try. My problem is rocks.  The one in the picture above had a 200 lbs boulder embedded in it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have any low spots dig a hole deeper than the stump is tall.
Put the stump in with roots up and bury it.
If roots are down you'll need a much bigger hole and frost can cause it to heave up.
Learned this from a guy who's done it for years..

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is AWESOME!  What a great thread!

View Quote

Appreciate it. Lots of hard work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top