Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2018 8:41:38 PM EDT
With all the recent happenings in South Africa's government and the potential overthrow of all the farms what will happen with all the game ranches? I would think it will have a severe impact on the hunting there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The locals will start polar bear hunting to make up for the shortage of game farms
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed a contact there who thought it was all election pandering b.s. and that the Supreme Court there would not allow it.

We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
I emailed a contact there who thought it was all election pandering b.s. and that the Supreme Court there would not allow it.

We'll see.
View Quote
This past Tuesday, we had lunch with a couple that own a 60,000 acre hunting resort.  They basically said the same thing.

It was pretty much the interim President took office 3 weeks ago, and the next election is in May 2019.  He's running his mouth to get votes.  Same thing that's been said for the last 25 years.  Supreme Court won't allow it.

He also said, they weren't concerned about safety, they are surrounded by 60,000 acres of land which is home to 5 of the world's 10 most deadly game.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
An email I received:

To ALL Concerned Hunters

There have been a number of reports in the US and around the world about South Africa and the “Expropriation of Land in South Africa”.

Concerns have been raised by a number of our hunters as well as the greater international hunting community regarding the issue of “land expropriation without compensation” in South Africa. John X Safaris wishes to clarify this issue. We would like to assure you that although talks of “expropriation without compensation” is a concern, there are numerous constitutional procedures and implementation requirements that first need to be addressed prior to this policy coming to fruition.

South Africa has one of the best constitutions in the world and the bill that was passed in parliament, will first have to be investigated and go through a constitutional review committee process. The committee will have to hold public hearings, where South Africans can give suggestions and inputs. Once completed the committee will report back to the National Assembly where their findings will then, once more be voted for in parliament. A two-thirds majority vote is required for the committee’s recommendations to be accepted.

The President, Mr Cyril Ramaphosa, has urged people not to panic and outlined the critical importance for South Africans to engage to come up with meaningful proposals and recommendations concerning the land issue. It is paramount for the broader community to realise that specific constraint were put in place that this process may not undermine the:

1. Economy

2. Agricultural production and

3. Food security

John X Safaris will heed the President’s request and be involved in finding amicable solutions for the wildlife and hunting industries by highlighting the invaluable contribution hunting makes to the green economy.

According to the President of South Africa, land expropriation would not be a “smash and grab” attempt, and much consultation would take place to ensure the process would not harm food production, jobs and the economy as a whole.

South Africa remains one of the best destinations of choice for international hunters/tourists and we would like to assure you that South Africa remains a safe destination for hunters.

There is no need to concern yourself, or for that matter feel the need to be concerned, regards your upcoming safari. None of the above or current news reports will affect your safari in South Africa. It’s business as usual and as a country we are ready to host you on your upcoming safari.

See you in Africa!

Yours in hunting,

Carl van Zyl
John X Safaris
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It makes no difference. Just the idea of it and the fact it was mentioned by the new regime will cause many to shy away from SA.
If the question is what happens if they actually start taking farms then see above and think of a decimated Animal population. Farmed food quantity drops. Bush meat becomes more valuable. It will completely wreck the Country in every way. Just like ZIM. My .02

I am a member in a Club that is having our fundraiser tonight. Under normal circumstances there will be at least 3-4 African Hunts up for auction. Work might screw me up but I will report back how the African hunts go at the podium. Most of the guys will not even think about booking a hunt when they hear of Political turmoil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Update from the fundraiser..

6 South Africa hunts up for auction last nite. At least 5 were 100% donations. So no minimum bid.

A $6k valued hunt went for $1500 and a $15k hunt went for $1k. No one even bid on the other SA hunts.
They ranged from $6k to $18k.

This is telling. Outfitters can’t give away hunts and people are staying away from SA. I heard several people mention the political turmoil.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
Update from the fundraiser..

6 South Africa hunts up for auction last nite. At least 5 were 100% donations. So no minimum bid.

A $6k valued hunt went for $1500 and a $15k hunt went for $1k. No one even bid on the other SA hunts.
They ranged from $6k to $18k.

This is telling. Outfitters can’t give away hunts and people are staying away from SA. I heard several people mention the political turmoil.
View Quote
My brother and his friend are probably looking at what would be $10-15K hunts each.  I was looking at going along, but getting a much cheaper package.  They sent in their list the other day, so we will see what kind of price the outfitter come backs with.  They didn't act like they were hurting for business, I guess we'll see.

Political turmoil is definitely a concern of mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My parents and siblings are pretty worried about my buffalo trip this June. My mom so much as asked me to cancel the ticket.
I am not worried, I am staying with friends and will have a .375 with me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope it's election pandering. I heard the bill will hit parliament in August. Well see what happens. I will say that a lot of my buddies are talking about digging up their rifles...too soon IMO. As mentioned in another thread, Stick with the crew that picked yo u up at the airport and you'll be fine.
I returned from RSA 2 weeks ago...it's still fine to go, just stay aware of your surroundings and don't do stupid shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top