Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2022 3:05:38 PM EDT
The bands have been all over the place these last few weeks.  Smaller windows of the "good geomagnetic activity" and unsettled and Active storms have been more prolonged than I've previously seen.

Trying to finish up hunting 2 states on POTA has been a drag.  Yeah I know it'll pass and swing back around to good conditions again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't this the kind of thing it does before it launches into another minim, historically?
We are due for a minim, i think.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't this the kind of thing it does before it launches into another minim, historically?
We are due for a minim, i think.

View Quote

No.  Just the opposite. It will take off again here soon. Cycle 25 is most certainly on the upswing nowhere the maximum. Give it time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What states do you need?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
KS and MS.  They'll probably be a little more active in the fall when heatstroke is less of a risk....hahaha

DC as a wildcard because when I got my new callsign the activator didn't know the difference between an Oscar and a Zero said she couldn't find me on QRZ as I sat there staring at my new call on my QRZ page.      I explained it, but it wasn't registering and wasn't worth being a jerk over....LOL

There have been a few KS stations over the last week but the band has been in the toilet the times I've been hunting the last 2 weeks and I could just barely hear him about a 41 at best...Lots of QRM.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
So what do you think?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Got up this AM and was gonnna play radio, hooked up the old PK-232. I got it to run in Linux Mint using DosBox and the old PC Packratt software yesterday. Look at the propagation indicators on QRZ.com. Blah on the ionosphere. I'm still listening to HF Packet on 14.103.350 though.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The SFI is 252 at the moment. That’s as high as I’ve ever seen it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The SFI is 252 at the moment. That's as high as I've ever seen it.
View Quote
Definitely getting on when the kids sack out. The A index is a little high but not unbearable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The SFI is 252 at the moment. That’s as high as I’ve ever seen it.
View Quote

I saw that. And yet, the bands didn't seem to be any better than when it is half that. Was it just me?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, just discovered it was so high, it's been a while.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw that. And yet, the bands didn't seem to be any better than when it is half that. Was it just me?
View Quote

@Emoto

Check out the QRZ.com main page.The solar conditions chart will tell you what is going on. Even though the solar flux is high, both the "A" and "K" indicators are a bit high. The chart in the lower left quadrant will tell you how the various bands are affected separated in both Day and Nights sections. There is a large variation in band conditions on 40M and 80M compared to 17M and 15M. Just under the Band Conditions chart is a line about the Geomagnetic field, note that it is Unsettled. Ideal conditions would have the "A" and "K" index at "0" with the geomagnetic field doing nothing at all, and the solar flux somewhere above 300. I'm sure there are some fine points I missed, but these will get you started.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
This will help you understand why. He breaks it down to what really is needed. You can get more out of the reports by learning more of course. But this'll get you going.
Solar Index and Propagation Made Easy - HF Ham Radio

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The reading is a fluke. The SFI is reported daily at 2100Z and an M Class flare was in progress just as the reading was being taken. After the flare settled down, things returned to normal.

There's another M Class flare in progress right now.
Spaceweather link

ETA: The Pinticton Observatory reading at 1700Z was 357.
Do I hear 400?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This will help you understand why. He breaks it down to what really is needed. You can get more out of the reports by learning more of course. But this'll get you going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyXLARX1dns
View Quote

That was definitely helpful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Is this an android app (I hope)?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will find out where it came from.
I was trying out the antenna on 20m and it was all Europe. Spain Finland, Norway, Ireland, Italy. Czech Republic. I got Ireland, the rest had big pileups.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Webpage

https://dxheat.com/dxc/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top