Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2022 6:37:29 PM EDT
Don't worry about being eaten by a bear. You'll die of a heart attack first.

Those things are a sodium WMD. But they taste soooo good esp. when you substitute SPAM with that canned Argentinian corned beef.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1LLD33R] [#1]
You actually eat the flavor packet?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlowersForFoes:
You actually eat the flavor packet?
View Quote

Not the whole thing. Maybe 1/4 tsp.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

View Quote
I do this, too.  I have a stack of no sodium chicken and beef flavoring packets.  So I use a little of the salt bomb, and the rest is just the no-sodium packet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been cutting precooked Johnsonville brats in to small chunks to add to my Ramen, and will put in some canned corn to add to the vegetable and spice packet that usually has maybe 3 pieces of corn in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Ramen noodles, (toss the packet), regular chicken broth, frozen peas, frozen corn, a bit of sausage, or cooked venison.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s the noodles that kill. They’re deep fried.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're well-hydrated and don't have a blood sugar problem, why the hell are you worrying about sodium? If you're living on ramen, you should probably cut back, but for a once-in-awhile thing, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I do this, too.  I have a stack of no sodium chicken and beef flavoring packets.  So I use a little of the salt bomb, and the rest is just the no-sodium packet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dopple:

hell the flavor pouch and a couple of bouillon cubes too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
I've been cutting precooked Johnsonville brats in to small chunks to add to my Ramen, and will put in some canned corn to add to the vegetable and spice packet that usually has maybe 3 pieces of corn in it.
View Quote

Try grilled chicken.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Nobody eats ramen for health. It’s convenient and easy calories.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a container of chicken bouillon cubes in the back of the fridge...the little foil-wrapped cubes.

Each 1-servingcube contains 900mg of sodium.

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a container of chicken bouillon cubes in the back of the fridge...the little foil-wrapped cubes.

Each 1-servingcube contains 900mg of sodium.

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!
View Quote

Don't ever do the math on a liter of normal saline, the IV bag that you get in a hospital.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
i load it up with frozen veggies and leftover meats, then just eat the solids and toss whatever broth is leftover. probably cut 3/4 of the sodium that way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#14]
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
View Quote

I usually use the meat off of a chicken thigh or chicken breast, add a bit of hot sauce for flavor. Yeah I know the hot sauce probably has a lot of sodium in it too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Don't ever do the math on a liter of normal saline, the IV bag that you get in a hospital.
View Quote

Too late.

1 L of normal saline  = 0.9% sodium chloride contains 154 meq of sodium per liter.
 1 L normal saline x (154 meq/L) x (23 mg Na+/meq) = 3,542 mg Na

To be fair the diet that one would eat on an extended backpacking trip/thru-hike is not one that you'd eat when at home: a diet extremely dense in calories (a lot of them from carbs) and sodium (to replace sodium lost through exertion/perspiration).

For a healthy person in their young/younger years such a backpacking diet is not a problem. For older folks (I'm in my 60's) many of whom have health issues to control (T2DM, HTN, etc.) this kind of diet even if only temporary might cause problems hence my personal concern over sodium intake.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#16]
First, if you’re hiking and active all day, you probably could use some sodium.

Second, if you’re healthy enough to hike all day, the sodium won’t hurt you over a few days.

That said, if you don’t like the flavor packet, don’t use it.  It’s all about what you like.  I don’t mind it. A pack of chili/lime ramen, a baggie of dehydrated veggies, and a vac-pac of chicken is a feast after a long walk with a bunch of shit on your back.

My recipe for a rainstorm used to be packing a big meal for night 1 of a multi day hike.  It could be beautiful blue skies, but if I plan a fancy meal that required some prep it would find a way to rain on me every time, in any climate.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like most of y'all are eating the trash ramen. Do yourself a favor and go to an Asian market. Find some real ramen that comes with more than just a single packet of salt and MSG.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:11:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SlimBlundt] [#18]
Ramen is intended to be a base for a meal, not the meal. You’re supposed to add vegetables, meat, heat, etc. consider spinach, kale, green onion, eggs, chicken, smoked pork, fish, shrimp, etc. Red pepper flake is a great way to add spice without adding more sodium or calories.

Oh, and the broth goes down the drain when done. That’ll cut out like 1/2 the sodium.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By lew:
If you're well-hydrated and don't have a blood sugar problem, why the hell are you worrying about sodium?[
View Quote

Because a 50 year old study found a positive correlation between sodium consumption and blood pressure, but didn't find a correlation between sodium consumption and heart attacks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top