The Family Hog (Page 5 of 5)
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Feral:

Hmmm.

I've enjoyed the hell out of raising pigs the last few years. It's been a heck of an education having "pastured pigs."

Looking back, I realize how simple the first years were. Buy some weaners in the Spring, put 'em in the pen, feed them, take them to the butcher in the waning days of Fall. Easy enough.

Filling our freezer with fine pork and selling the extras to folks we know was gratifying. Running the numbers and finding we were generating enough money to cover our costs AND filling the freezer was also gratifying.

Everything became more complex when we started with breeding stock. More mouths to feed.....and bigger mouths at that. It was eye opening, to say the least. Things changed considerably, and not always for the better, when we went from feeding out a few weaners to "farrow to finish."

[to be continued]
View Quote
I thought about breeding but don't want to winter them.  I only did two this summer and they were 274 and 269.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#2]
Did Feral retire from raising pigs?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

He just got really busy with life and work, from what I understand.  I think he may still be raising pigs for butchering, but he doesn't have as much time for the forum as he used to, and doing an ongoing thread takes quite a bit of time.  We all have a saying that "Real Life Comes First," and my understanding is that he's got his hands full with that at the moment.

I miss his threads.

When this used to be Homestead, Food and Garden (Or something like that) he had the MOST amazing food threads.  Those were some good times.  I miss them.
View Quote
I bought a piece of wooded land a few years ago and have been cutting it back and adding food sources as I go.  I should have been documenting it.  Perhaps I'll start this spring.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
He just got really busy with life and work, from what I understand.  I think he may still be raising pigs for butchering, but he doesn't have as much time for the forum as he used to, and doing an ongoing thread takes quite a bit of time.  We all have a saying that "Real Life Comes First," and my understanding is that he's got his hands full with that at the moment.

I miss his threads.

When this used to be Homestead, Food and Garden (Or something like that) he had the MOST amazing food threads.  Those were some good times.  I miss them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Did Feral retire from raising pigs?

I miss his threads.

I know what that feels like. Kid moved out and now I have to work harder to make up for the little bit she would do. I just buy a couple of show pig's to help the local kid's out. I know I spend more but just maybe I'll get a little back in the future.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Just bumping this up to keep it from archiving.
We are looking at buying some hogs in the near future so it is good reading.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fas2c:
Just bumping this up to keep it from archiving.
We are looking at buying some hogs in the near future so it is good reading.
View Quote

I'm two years into doing American Guinea Hogs and it's been such a good experience I'd recommend it to almost anyone.

They're super interesting animals, tasty as can be, and not a ridiculous amount of work. I really enjoy doing a heritage breed, too, since there's a whole goofy community that comes along with that.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:50:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#11]
We don't raise hogs but we did buy two of them from Dennis Holder of Holder Farms, Belividere TN last year.  We took them to Weavers Processing in Hartselle for processing.  One of the things I asked for on the cut sheet was the leaf lard.  We got about 20lbs of raw fat from each pig.  

One pigs worth of fat:

Probably the most tedious part of the whole process (besides cleaning up the greasy mess) was the cutting the fat into easily rendered chunks:

Starting to render it down.  Most rendering recipes recommend adding water at the beginning so as to not scorch the fat.  Since I used this slow cooker on Low, I didn't add any water.  As the fat rendered, I did turn the heat up to High and let it cook.

And it ended up looking like this; except there was about 2 gallons +/- or so.  I don't have a pic of the whole result because we started giving it away before I was even done; it took a couple of days.  My biggest mistake:  Offering to one of our neighbors - who I forgot was a vegetarian!  OOPS!    Fortunately, they're daughter and her family got it and made good use of it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
We don't raise hogs but we did buy two of them from Dennis Holder of Holder Farms, Belividere TN last year.  We took them to Weavers Processing in Hartselle for processing.  One of the things I asked for on the cut sheet was the leaf lard.  We got about 20lbs of raw fat from each pig.  

One pigs worth of fat:

https://i.imgur.com/W9NzBVC.jpg

Probably the most tedious part of the whole process (besides cleaning up the greasy mess) was the cutting the fat into easily rendered chunks:

https://i.imgur.com/pFdtHVI.jpg

Starting to render it down.  Most rendering recipes recommend adding water at the beginning so as to not scorch the fat.  Since I used this slow cooker on Low, I didn't add any water.  As the fat rendered, I did turn the heat up to High and let it cook.

https://i.imgur.com/lm5A7ix.jpg

And it ended up looking like this; except there was about 2 gallons +/- or so.  I don't have a pic of the whole result because we started giving it away before I was even done; it took a couple of days.  My biggest mistake:  Offering to one of our neighbors - who I forgot was a vegetarian!  OOPS!    Fortunately, they're daughter and her family got it and made good use of it.

https://i.imgur.com/4X1yfSO.jpg

View Quote

Lard looks great!  Do you notice any difference from store bought?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

One pigs worth of fat:

https://i.imgur.com/W9NzBVC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pFdtHVI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lm5A7ix.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4X1yfSO.jpg

My wife could.  I can't because I can't smell.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Feral:
Nice clean looking lard there.
View Quote

@Feral

Glad to see you around here.
The years have flown by.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm killing and hanging 2 hogs later today with a few family members.  We're going to work them up Saturday.  I think I might try Merlin's crock pot lard rendering method after all the meat is worked up and put away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
I'm killing and hanging 2 hogs later today with a few family members.  We're going to work them up Saturday.  I think I might try Merlin's crock pot lard rendering method after all the meat is worked up and put away.
View Quote
Got a whole thread on it:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/2021-Pigs-Making-Lard/19-701294/
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
We are finally pulling the trigger and are going to do this come spring time.  Any advice on what equipment?  Was thinking about sinking 4 posts in the corners and using hog panels, then strengthening with T-posts.  Lean to for them to get out of the weather.  Would like 1 or 2 for ourselves and are thinking of raising 2 to sell for family and friends hopefully get our pigs for free from selling the 2 hogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#20]
It's starting to finally cool down around here.  It will be down in the high 30's, low 40's later this week.

I have at least 7 bags of fat, each with 20-22 lbs of good old pure pig fat I have to render down.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It's starting to finally cool down around here.  It will be down in the high 30's, low 40's later this week.

I have at least 7 bags of fat, each with 20-22 lbs of good old pure pig fat I have to render down.  
View Quote

The lard works in mysterious ways.

I'm planning to help butcher up a couple piggies in a month or two that my cousin is currently feeding out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]
"We've already agreed that there will be no naming of the pigs beyond "sausage", "ham" and "bacon."   Hamlet, Roast, Pork Chop, Hillary, Tasty, Blue State, and plenty of other creative, funny names to come up with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Lots of pig fat, right before deer season?

Sounds like sausage making is afoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#25]
We’ve grown to like Kunes and AGHs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
We’ve grown to like Kunes and AGHs.
View Quote

Kunes are great.  We raise standard pigs and kunekunes.  The kunes are our favorite. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
The Family Hog (Page 5 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top